Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 07:42 AM - 4 Likes   #24886
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Real friends bring drinks and snacks along and never discuss politics, religion, or your age.
That's a different definition from what I've heard.

A friend is one who'll help you move.

A real friend is one who'll help you move a body.

03-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #24887
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A real friend is one who'll help you move a body.
Yep, that's a real friend....it's what makes Otis special!

We have friends and we have acquaintances. Then we have "brothers by another mother". Most of us have few of those in a lifetime. I've had a few, very few, those don't come often.

Old Howard.....He worked for me for years when I worked for a housing dealership that sold Mobile Homes/Pre-Fab Homes and did housing developments. I ran the service dept and Howard was my best employee. He looked like an old mountain man, wore a hat with a rattlesnake head on the front, had a heavy beard and was damn scary looking. When I sent him out to a new customer I often called in advance to advise that he was the best, and also the most caring and kind-hearted they would find. They always requested Howard again if needed......he was all of those things and more.

Howard did not like the owner, with good reason, and it was no secret. He would not miss a chance to shoot him the "bone" if the owner waved to him while passing in his big Mercedes or to tell him to intercourse himself if he got the opportunity. Complete and total insubordination. The owner demanded I fire Howard more than a few times and I always refused....Howard goes and I go, and everyone else in this dept goes with us. Since we made him a ton of money, and were key to his operations, he relented as often as he asked.

When my youngest son graduated college I left to go back on my own. Howard tried to go with me, but I convinced him to stay and the boss to just try to work with him. Howard was making more than I could pay him and the boss needed him more than he realized. Six months later the boss called me and asked me to drop by. He said Howard was the best employee he had ever had and thanked me over and over for not taking him with me. He had learned "Howard's ways".

We were always close friends inside and outside of work......and he was that "brother" friend. The kind with no secrets, no hedging on the truth, and no need for an apology for who you are, even in disagreement.

One night years ago when I was a drinker, I got in a discussion with some "friends" about what that meant. It was a little after 2am on a Sat night. I picked up the phone and called Howard. I was fairly well loaded...something that we did back in those days.....
Howard answered....."Howard, I got drunk and was mad, got lost and turned around and just kept driving all day and night. I'm out here in the desert of Arizona and I'm broke and my truck broke down. It's cold and I can't even buy a cup of coffee."

"Jim, it may take me a few minutes to get my boots on and get dressed, but I'm on my way...give me some directions."

He was dead serious. Howard died unexpectedly about 12 years ago...was buried with his rattlesnake hat on....not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

Get rid of bodies? You betcha!

Regards!
03-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #24888
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some one start a discussion that can run 4 or 5 pages , get a couple of people banned and get closed for getting political.

You first Norm.
03-28-2016, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #24889
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You first Norm.
Been there done that. Someone new should have the experience.

03-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #24890
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Aren't friends come people who come over and drink your beer, mess up your house then leave?

Pretty much.

After all, their wives won't tolerate that kind of behavior in their home.
03-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #24891
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

But, having done it before means you have experience, you are now a journeyman.
03-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #24892
Veteran Member

I have even more experience than you Norm...so it must be someone else's turn? In my User Control under "Warnings and Infractions"....I have a warning right now.....and the sad part is they made it a "Sticky".

Regards!

03-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #24893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have even more experience than you Norm...so it must be someone else's turn? In my User Control under "Warnings and Infractions"....I have a warning right now.....and the sad part is they made it a "Sticky".

Regards!
Well Rupert, it's good you have more experience than me. Every one needs role models.
03-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #24894
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Then we have "brothers by another mother"
Yep, I've had a few, sadly most have passed on.
One of them currently lives near Milwaukee, met him on a barbecue forum, and in real life only twice.

My very best bud now resides at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.
He was my survey instrument man for 18 years.
We were truly like brothers, brothers that liked each other that is.

Last edited by robtcorl; 03-28-2016 at 11:28 AM.
03-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #24895
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
He was my survey instrument man for 18 years.
My first wife divorced me and married her survey instrument man. I'm sensing a trend.
03-28-2016, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #24896
Veteran Member

My first wife divorced me and married her survey instrument man. I'm sensing a trend.
Better instrument???
03-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #24897
Pentaxian

Better instrument???
Ask her,
03-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #24898
Veteran Member

I'm not getting into this discussion ....you are trying to pull me into that long post you mentioned that will get me banned....again. The "Sticky" warning in my User Control is not here just for decoration.......

I'm gonna assume she left because you are grouchy and hard to get along with......we can all believe that!

Regards!
03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #24899
Pentaxian

I'm not getting into this discussion ....you are trying to pull me into that long post you mentioned that will get me banned....again. The "Sticky" warning in my User Control is not here just for decoration.......

I'm gonna assume she left because you are grouchy and hard to get along with......we can all believe that!

Regards!
Ya but that was 30 years ago, I wasn't grouchy back then.

Everything she said bad about me, her lawyer made up.
03-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #24900
Veteran Member

Everything she said bad about me, her lawyer made up.
Well, for what it's worth, Otis believes you Norm. You know you can always count on Otis!