Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #25426
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
?????
Hey granny! ...anything can happen in this thread, it's not dementia, it's just a normal ordinary day here.

04-11-2016, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #25427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How can one not want to eat this?!

04-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #25428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Spinning 33.333's tonight.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I should get back to that. I have about 100 albums or so. Started making wav files from them once. A tedious process. Cleaning up pops and clicks takes time.

Someone asked if I'd do theirs and how much.

I told them they couldn't pay me enough.

I been spinning old vinyl too as a result of making an impulse purchase of a new phono cartridge (Shure M97xE). I am very impressed with the new and seeking a good home for the old (Shure M95ED).

Steve
04-11-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #25429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've only digitised the rarest LP's I own. You're right, it is a tedious process. Luckily, most of my LP's are so good, there's no crackle and pop! But, not the valuable ones - those took some work! I did one for a friend, no charge. I've done them to CD, so they're now easy to play at least. I have a large number of CD's. My wife is doing the Spottify thing, but I'm still oldfashioned, LOL.

I have a fair collection, not large - some 100 popular music albums, about 50 classical and another 40 or so soundtracks, musicals and odd stuff. On top of that, a handful of '45's and a couple of hundred '78's. I play the '33's from time to time, but very seldom do I play the '78's. I have a good '78's player, but until recently I did not have it set up. I can play those on the 1930's radiograms I own, or on the older gramophones, but then I have to use the steel needles and I'm down to my last 10-12 tins of needles and they're not so good for the records, so using the Garrard is the better option.

Records are making a major comeback of course - how times change.
The two common causes of crackles and pops are dirt and electrostatic discharges. Dirt can be fixed reasonably with the old disk cleaning kits for LPs. Electrostatic discharges can be addressed with a conducting mat on turntable and good earthing of the turntable platter. Also, keeping the air reasonably humid, i.e. without airconditioning, just natural, helps.

04-11-2016, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #25430
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

04-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #25431
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My last baby birdie shot.

I went out there with a new batch of worms for the parents to feed them and took a quick snap. When the flash went off they all flew out of the nest and haven't come back. They can fly damn good too. What is baffling is that first there were two, then three and today four. Otis says that once others learned of the big fat juicy worms, other babies started moving in......he says they are like all birds, just a bunch of freeloaders. They don't want to work for their keep like industrious squirrels. I've seen a lot here, but working squirrels is not one of the things I have seen.

I offered Otis the worms but he refused....he wants bacon!

Bye bye birdies!
04-11-2016, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #25432
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I been spinning old vinyl too as a result of making an impulse purchase of a new phono cartridge (Shure M97xE). I am very impressed with the new and seeking a good home for the old (Shure M95ED).

Steve
Nice! I run a Shure N75ED T2. on the one turntable, can't remember the model on the other one. I am looking for a new tone arm though. I have a faulty Mission tone arm.
04-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #25433
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The two common causes of crackles and pops are dirt and electrostatic discharges. Dirt can be fixed reasonably with the old disk cleaning kits for LPs. Electrostatic discharges can be addressed with a conducting mat on turntable and good earthing of the turntable platter. Also, keeping the air reasonably humid, i.e. without airconditioning, just natural, helps.
I have my turntables earthed and even the carbon cleaning brush is earthed. For truly dirty records, warm water and a bit of dishwashing liquid does the trick - but don't get the labels wet. Otherwise a bit of methelated spirits seems to work well.

04-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #25434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my turntables earthed and even the carbon cleaning brush is earthed. For truly dirty records, warm water and a bit of dishwashing liquid does the trick - but don't get the labels wet. Otherwise a bit of methelated spirits seems to work well.
Sounds good. Long ago I got better performance from a kit built TT than a mate with the then legendary Linn Sondek TT. The issue was the earthing, and related features I mentioned.
04-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #25435
Pentaxian

Another go?

My grandfather's lens was too large for the shelf
So it stood ninety years on the floor
It was taller by half than the old man himself
Though it weighed not a pennyweight more

It was bought on the morn of the day that he was born
And was always his treasure and pride
But it scratched badly, never to be sharp again
When the old man died

Ninety years without softening
click, click, click, click
His life pictures numbering
It scratched badly, never to be sharp again
When the old man died

My grandfather said that of those he could hire
Not a servant so faithful he found
For it wasted no sharpness and had but one desire
At the close of each week to be cleaned

When the old man died

And it kept in its place, not a scratch upon its face
And its aperture never loosened
When the old man died

When the old man died

It fell and toppled in the dead of the night
A lens that for years never fallen
And we knew that his spirit was pluming for flight
That his hour for departure had come

When the old man died

Still the lens took good pictures with a softened end
As we silently stood by his side
When the old man died
When the old man died

When the old man died

When the old man died
04-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #25436
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well Amy, just remember, no matter how bad the packing process seems......

You have the unpacking to look forward to.
The appraisal came through today. The property appraised well & there were no deficiencies noted that the lender will require to be repaired before closing. We're heading to underwriting.
04-12-2016, 04:35 AM   #25437
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sounds good. Long ago I got better performance from a kit built TT than a mate with the then legendary Linn Sondek TT. The issue was the earthing, and related features I mentioned.
Nice. I have an LP12. My project though, is an Ariston Audio RD40. I'm rebuilding the suspension and changing the motor. And I need a new tone arm. But, when done it should be a very nice machine.
04-12-2016, 04:37 AM   #25438
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Another go?

My grandfather's lens was too large for the shelf
So it stood ninety years on the floor
It was taller by half than the old man himself
Though it weighed not a pennyweight more

It was bought on the morn of the day that he was born
And was always his treasure and pride
When the old man died...
You've been busy, Bert!
04-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #25439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The appraisal came through today. The property appraised well & there were no deficiencies noted that the lender will require to be repaired before closing. We're heading to underwriting.

Interesting concept. In Australia an offer to buy can be made subject to conditions (usually finance, or perhaps the cost of repairs from an appraisal being not more that $x), but unless the buyer requests specific work in order to sign an offer the appraisal cannot land more expense on the sellers. Generally buyers would prefer to do the work themselves to their standard rather than get a 'just enough to sell' job done by the vendor in a hurry.
04-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #25440
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Congratulations! I'd rather die than move....and that is exactly what I'll do. I think the stress of moving would kill me anyhow. I will be looking at townhouses or such in the near future for Mrs Rupert when I am gone. There is no way she can keep this place in order, it is just too much for her. I have a helper now that works 20-40 hours a week just maintaining the property, house, shop and 4 vehicles. A nice townhouse for her would be easy for her to maintain. Meanwhile, I can lease it and let it bring in a few dollars.

I have seen the time my Mom spends on maintaining her home and large adjacent lots. Her home is a very well built home with little maintenance, but it is large and still requires a lot of upkeep. The yard is in constant need of this or that...trees trimmed, mowed, hedges trimmed, fertilizer, watering......I don't want Mrs Rupert to have to deal with those things in her old age.

Regards!