04-17-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #25561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cave bacon!

04-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #25562

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Cave bacon!
At least it doesn't grow on trees, or does it?
04-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #25563
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If I made confessions to my Mom I'd be there for weeks, and in the end not much of it would shock her. There was a time we really did go to Church Camp and it turned out very badly. Me and a buddy found a little flat bottom boat down by the lake shore and decided to take it out. One of the girls wanted to go with us so we said OK. We got out about 75 yards and the girl stripped off totally and was skinny dipping. Some kids saw us and called out the preacher and youth minister and we got expelled...it was our second day at camp. Our Moms had to come pick us up and my Mom still looks at me with disgust if boats are mentioned in a conversation.

The girl got to stay...she claimed we encouraged her and she was fast to repent and pray for forgiveness. We did not do any such thing...though we would have if we had thought of it. So, we refused to repent and left as outcast unforgiven sinners. My Mom, a dedicated "Church Lady" had to live with my reputation for years and it's not likely she will ever forget it. If she knew the really bad stuff......so you see, confessions are not in order!
I've just laughed out loud. Reminds me of our school choir camps. The rule there, respected by both teachers and pupils was: "We'll not check up on you if you don't don't check up on us." The system worked very well.

In the army, we were on a troop train which was supposed to be booze free, well booze free for the lower ranks anyway. I (Corporal) sent a grunt to the Sergeant Major's compartment, and to the Captain's compartment and invited them both to join us for pre-dinner drinks. My reasoning was that, if they were drinking with us, then chances were the Military Police would leave us alone. Not long after, with both Sergeant Major and Captain happily chatting away, drink in hand, the door was thrown open and a MP Sergeant yelled: "WHATS GOING ON IN HERE?!?!" (Words to that effect - Except that he also used words that I can't repeat on this forum) Followed more meekly with: (snap to attention) "My apologies Captain! My apologies Sergeant Major!". And exit.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-17-2016 at 09:35 PM.
04-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #25564
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Cave bacon!
Imagine cutting bacon with a chain saw!

04-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #25565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
At least it doesn't grow on trees, or does it?
Nah, just limestone with cracks in it.

Cave bacon must be nutritious - it's non-fat and chock-full of calcium and iron! (In the form of calcite, the white stuff - and iron oxide, the red-brown bits)
04-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #25566
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Cave bacon!

It looks like some fabric hung on the rock face.

Where is this at Todd?
04-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #25567
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So, if someone does know what the occasion they were celebrating it would be interesting. BTW: I saw them in Linz along a street with a tramline quite close to the large square near the Danube that has the large monument with gold features.
It is difficult to say what they were doing. It is my understanding that Linz was billed as the cultural capitol of Europe a few years back, so perhaps it was something cultural? BTW...I know that square...very interesting monument...

Steve

04-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #25568
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've just laughed out loud. Reminds me of our school choir camps. The rule there, respected by both teachers and pupils was: "We'll not check up on you if you don't don't check up on us." The system worked very well.
I only went to that one Church Camp and I'll tell you, it was worse than the Army. They searched us several times a day...confiscated my new switch blade knife on the first day and did breath tests several times a day. The confiscated my best friends Playboy and made him go for counseling, even though he was emphatic that he only read the fine articles and never even noticed the naked photos.

We spent more time praying for forgiveness than we did having fun. All in all it was our worst nightmare. On the first night when we snuck out the windows, they had "youth counselors" stationed all around the dorm and caught us instantly. We were denied breakfast as punishment and missed the hour long prayer they did before eating...which was the only blessing we got there!

Some of us are not cut out for organized group gatherings where conformity rules. I think I was born that way....so was my buddy. Running wild and free......it's the way to go for "Rupert Types"!

However, old age tames even the wildest, and though my free spirit is still there, not much of the rest of me is. I am but a fading shadow of my once adventurous self.

Mrs Rupert is off this week...we were going to Big Bend but the big nasty storms coming up from the coast have cancelled our trip. Home all day Sat and Sun together, I washed dishes three times. In my prime I would have thrown them in the trash before I would have washed them. It's the little things that tell me I am finished. Just another old guy with not much but memories of the "days of glory".

Even young Bert will someday get there, if he is fortunate...or unfortunate....depending on your viewpoint. In my melancholy moments, I still have bacon to lift my spirits.....poor Bert!

Regards!
04-18-2016, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #25569
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not really a wine drinker, I discovered pinot noir pleased my palette.
Well, then Oregon's "Wine Country" should suit you fine. They do pinot noir tours down here with transportation provided.

Steve
04-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #25570
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you ever get the chance, watch the bromance movie 'Sideways' about a lost weekend in the Napa Valley. Very funny.
Not Napa...Solvang and vicinity. The film featured most of the local landmarks.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-18-2016 at 09:17 AM.
04-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #25571
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not Napa...Solvang. Pinot is prominent there. The film featured most of the local landmarks.
Solvang? That's a very Norwegian name. Means something like "sunny glen".
04-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #25572
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Solvang? That's a very Norwegian name. Means something like "sunny glen".
Danes. It is a tourist town with Danish theme and a few windmills thrown in too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvang,_California

Steve
04-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #25573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It looks like some fabric hung on the rock face.

Where is this at Todd?
Shenandoah Caverns, near New Market, Virginia. That part of Virginia is riddled with caves, with five "show caves" within an hour of each other (Skyline, Luray, Shenandoah, Endless, and Grand). Luray Caverns are the biggest and best-known, but Shenandoah has the best "bacon" (shown in National Geographic in 1964!). "Bacon" is a variant of a calcite formation known as a "drapery".
04-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #25574
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, then Oregon's "Wine Country" should suit you fine. They do pinot noir tours down here with transportation provided.

Steve
Been through the Oregon wineries too. Actually bought a bottle of pinot noir from one.

It was good.

It is long gone.
04-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #25575
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I only went to that one Church Camp and I'll tell you, it was worse than the Army. They searched us several times a day...confiscated my new switch blade knife on the first day and did breath tests several times a day. The confiscated my best friends Playboy and made him go for counseling, even though he was emphatic that he only read the fine articles and never even noticed the naked photos.

We spent more time praying for forgiveness than we did having fun. All in all it was our worst nightmare. On the first night when we snuck out the windows, they had "youth counselors" stationed all around the dorm and caught us instantly. We were denied breakfast as punishment and missed the hour long prayer they did before eating...which was the only blessing we got there!

Wow.

Sounds like they worked real hard at instilling an attitude of confidence and trust.

\sarcasm