Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #25771
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In my new position I actually have to stumble over there on purpose.

Before I rarely ventured into that den of sin and iniquity.
I don't envy you guys.....between the Rumors & Stupidity threads and the three man 24/7 team that tracks "Rupert Types" you can hardly catch your breath to do any posting yourself.

04-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #25772
Site Supporter

In my new position I actually have to stumble over there on purpose.

Before I rarely ventured into that den of sin and iniquity.

04-23-2016, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #25773
Site Supporter

Air Canada also flies 777's. Here is one taking off on a test flight in the background of a shot I made of a Mitchell B25 that I had the opportunity to fly a few years ago.

Nice photo! BTW...I am a little shocked to see how small the Mitchell B25 is. I always imagined it as much larger aircraft.

Steve
04-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #25774
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am a little shocked to see how small the Mitchell B25 is. I always imagined it as much larger aircraft.
If it had been any bigger, they wouldn't have been able to fly it off a carrier!

04-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #25775
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Air Canada also flies 777's. Here is one taking off on a test flight in the background of a shot I made of a Mitchell B25 that I had the opportunity to fly a few years ago.

How the machines have changed.
04-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #25776

Nice photo! BTW...

Thanks Steve!

I am a little shocked to see how small the Mitchell B25 is. I always imagined it as much larger aircraft.

Yes, the Mitchell is a medium bomber. About the same size as Montstro while hooked to a trailer, but at 66 feet quite a bit wider.

And at a maximum takeoff weight of 35,000lbs somewhat lighter.

It was a dream to fly. I've had the controls of a few light planes over the years, but this was my first multi engine, and the largest airplane I've ever flown. It was very forgiving, and super responsive, much like a well balanced sports car. During the flight I was allowed to take it through a valley with mountain ridges on either side (the Mount Loop Highway) at around 280 ~ 300kts. The pilot I was with told me that was what these planes were very good at.

I agreed.

Most of the flight was cruising at 3,000 feet, but at one point I asked how fast it would go. We opened it up and just past 320kts I was told it could go faster, but considering the age of the airframe it was best to back off.

Some of these planes were launched from an aircraft carrier, for the raid on Japan. Certainly not something that could be done with a B-24 or B-17.
04-23-2016, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #25777
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I was in the Air Force stationed in Alaska I got to take the controls of one of these for a bit.
Name:  O2-A.PNG
Views: 70
Size:  208.8 KB

A might bit smaller than a B-25
04-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #25778

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I was in the Air Force stationed in Alaska I got to take the controls of one of these for a bit.Attachment 307203

A Cessna Skybastard, er, Skymaster!

So how did it fly?

04-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #25779
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So how did it fly?
It's the only plane I've ever flown, so I'm not sure how to answer that. I guess the best I can describe it is that it must be very forgiving as, despite having no experience whatsoever, I was able to fly it around for about a half hour and keep it in the air.
The pilot told me that there wasn't anything I could have done that he wouldn't have had more than enough time to recover from.

The Air Force designation was O2-A.
04-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #25780

It's the only plane I've ever flown, so I'm not sure how to answer that. I guess the best I can describe it is that it must be very forgiving as, despite having no experience whatsoever, I was able to fly it around for about a half hour and keep it in the air.
The pilot told me that there wasn't anything I could have done that he wouldn't have had more than enough time to recover from.

Yes, when properly trimmed, airplanes will usually cruise along with little or no input from the pilot.

I read about a Mitchell that had been so shot up and repaired that even though it was still flyable it required multiple trim adjustments and it crabbed as it flew along.

The Air Force designation was O2-A.

Oh yeah, the military always has to have their own names for things. A friend of mine was an airplane mechanic in Vietnam, where those planes were used (for reconnaissance I think). They weren't very well liked, hence the Skybastard moniker.
04-23-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #25781
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, when properly trimmed, airplanes will usually cruise along with little or no input from the pilot.
I actually got to "fly" it. Climb, descend, turns, etc. Nothing radical, but a it wasn't just maintaining course.

where those planes were used (for reconnaissance I think).
They were forward observation and target marking.
They had rocket pods under the wings that held multiple smoke rockets. They could get in close enough to put the rockets exactly where they needed to to give the F-4s more clearly defined target.
04-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #25782
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I was in the Air Force stationed in Alaska I got to take the controls of one of these for a bit.
Attachment 307204

Is that the push pull Cessna?
04-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #25783
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is that the push pull Cessna?
Yep. Prop on the nose, another one at the rear of the cabin, between the twin tails.
04-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #25784
Site Supporter

It was a dream to fly. I've had the controls of a few light planes over the years, but this was my first multi engine, and the largest airplane I've ever flown. It was very forgiving, and super responsive, much like a well balanced sports car. During the flight I was allowed to take it through a valley with mountain ridges on either side (the Mount Loop Highway) at around 280 ~ 300kts. The pilot I was with told me that was what these planes were very good at.
After posting, I did my Wikipedia work and was astounded to find that the original specified payload was only 1,200 lbs. I read on and was doubly astounded to find that B-25s in the Pacific were used for low altitude tree top and on deck sea missions. There were also gunship versions with the front greenhouse replaced by an array of four 0.50 machine guns and a 0.75 cannon Those with the heavier armament were used for strafing runs. Nimble handling like a sports car? I guess so!

Steve
04-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #25785
Site Supporter

So how did it fly?
I rode in a Skymaster my senior year in high school. My impression as a passenger was that it was incredibly noisy.

Steve