Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 03:33 AM   #25876
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's about it.

With the Airbus A380, a double Decker that can carry as many as 853 passengers, people are reduced to extreme cattle status.

Can you imagine the reactions when one of these behemoths crashes?

I read the other day that sales are lagging, and Airbus is cutting back the production rate.

This is good news from my perspective, in multiple ways.

The cattleness status depends on the airline. The lead customer for 380 treat the passenger as special, not quite so much as Braniff, but then the lead customer is still in business. Even in cattle class. But some other carriers do like to inflict cattle status on their paying customers.

04-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #25877
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But some other carriers do like to inflict cattle status on their paying customers.
I flew Southwest from Dallas to San Antone a few years back and I was squished in between a huge fat guy and a huge fat woman. I felt worse than a sardine and on top of that the woman had an almost catastrophic case of gas. It was a blessing that I could hardly breathe in the noxious fumes, hell, I could hardly breathe at all.

It wasn't Braniff, but a sweet (and cute!) little stewardess recognized my misery and pulled me out to sit in her jump seat at the rear of the crowded plane. Against all rules, no doubt, I got her name and address....we had some things in common.....I was going to Walter Reed where my Dad was having major surgery, and her Dad was also a Col. at Walter Reed....a surgeon.
I sent her a dozen yellow roses. Yellow roses of Texas. Still have her thank you card.....

So, it's not all bad, even when it is.

Regards!
04-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #25878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SouthWest's "cattlecars" used to have more legroom than most airlines "business class". If you didn't mind sitting towards the back, your chances were at least 50-50 for a row to yourself or splitting a middle seat with someone. Their 737s were much more comfortable than the little RJs.

They've since "improved" the seats, added another row, and insist that the new seats are actually roomier - it's true if you are some sort of alien that doesn't have legs or does have legs with multiple knees. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

I haven't flown them in a year or so, but their crews were still very pleasant. The last time I flew non-SW, the staff was uninterested at best, and openly hostile at worst - not that I blamed them, the passengers were horrible. I'll take friendly cattle any day.

Last edited by THoog; 04-26-2016 at 07:45 AM.
04-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #25879
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was actually surprised at how my experience flying SW was better than with the big airlines. With ticket prices and with gas prices I do roadtrips instead.

04-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #25880
Veteran Member

I can tolerate a few hours in a cramped cattle car, but the main obstacle to flying for me is the airport insanity. Sometimes you end up spending more time in the airport than in the air.
04-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #25881
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
There's always the Boeing Business Jet line of airplanes. Roomy. Comfortable. No cramped seats that give the sardine can feel.

Nothing better than life in the lap of luxury.
04-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #25882
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
With ticket prices and with gas prices I do roadtrips instead.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
the main obstacle to flying for me is the airport insanity. Sometimes you end up spending more time in the airport than in the air.
This is true. Because of the staffing situation at work, I can't go too far or too long. Unfortunately, I've pretty much exhausted every zoo, museum, and historical site in a six-hour radius (at least the ones interesting enough to me to "anchor" a trip, and not just a "why not"), and that's about all I can do with a three-day weekend. Someone keeps rudely putting mountains and bodies of water between me and where I want to go, so I'm going to have to get on a plane.

04-26-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #25883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Got in a bit of a kerfuffle with russia and a misplaced weather balloon. So you know, WWIII-prevention. Sorry.
99 LuftBallons sort of kerfuffles??

04-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #25884
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Cute girl.....not my style of music...but in time she'll come around....

04-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #25885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

99 LuftBallons
Ah, 80s big hair... That takes me back to high school... Funny thing is we only heard the German version on pop radio in those days (we'd fake singing it, but the only words we got right were "Captain Kirk"), but if I hear it now, it's usually her English version.
04-26-2016, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #25886
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There's always the Boeing Business Jet line of airplanes. Roomy. Comfortable. No cramped seats that give the sardine can feel.

Nothing better than life in the lap of luxury.
I'll take two. Where do I sign?

Why two? One for the trip out, one for the trip home. What did you think?

The only business jet I have flown is a Bombardier. Nice little thing, but it doesn't have the reach I world need

04-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #25887
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Ah, 80s big hair... That takes me back to high school... Funny thing is we only heard the German version on pop radio in those days (we'd fake singing it, but the only words we got right were "Captain Kirk"), but if I hear it now, it's usually her English version.
Don't think I've ever heard other than the German version - and not sure if I want to

04-26-2016, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #25888
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Originally posted by ZoeB
Got in a bit of a kerfuffle with russia and a misplaced weather balloon. So you know, WWIII-prevention. Sorry.
I was thinking more along the lines of:
04-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #25889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
and not sure if I want to
I'll give Nena credit - It's better than many translated songs, where something is always sacrificed - rhyming, rhythm, or meaning. "Ninety-nine red balloons" just doesn't have the flow of "neunundneunzig luftballons"; starting every stanza with "ninety-nine" automatically loses a syllable and the bounce of the original.

Edit: According to Wiki, she and the band were never really happy with the English version, and she has never performed the English version live (in 30+ years and 500+ concerts).

Last edited by THoog; 04-26-2016 at 01:34 PM.
04-26-2016, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #25890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The only business jet I have flown is a Bombardier. Nice little thing, but it doesn't have the reach I world need
I've flown in a couple models of Embraer RJs, and a couple Bombardiers. One Bombardier was not too bad; two of the others were cramped, and one Embraer was extremely cramped - I had to sit at an angle to get my legs to even fit behind the seat in front of me, with my knees hard against the seatback. Fortunately, it was a <1 hr flight.

On one of the flights, the airline logos on the bulkheads were not the airline I bought the tickets from, nor the airline operating the flight. I think the plane was stolen.