Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108813 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 06:10 AM - 4 Likes   #26086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Carving makes it look neater on the plate!! This pulled thingy is just 'fashionable, trendy, in.' and doesn't suit my style. (But I did eat it).
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The whole "pulled pork" thing came about because, if you cook it too long, you can't cut it anymore, it just falls apart. So, "pulled pork" is some clever marketing. Now, of course, it's become fashionable. But hey, I like all pork, pulled or not!
Blasphemy! Heresy! Sacrilege! Yankee talk! In a proper Southern pig pickin' (link below), the meat is too tender to slice (although in some heathen lands, I understand they do it that way). "Pulled" or "chopped" pork allows the sauce to completely infuse the meat, rather than just sit on top. This can be seen in ExFInn's photo, although that's some form of red sauce. Pulled pork may be "fashionable" or "trendy" in fer'n parts, but it's how we've always done it here, as directed by Scripture (Paul's letter to the Carolinians, if I recall correctly).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_pickin%27

Last edited by THoog; 05-01-2016 at 07:07 AM.
05-01-2016, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #26087
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The whole "pulled pork" thing came about because, if you cook it too long, you can't cut it anymore, it just falls apart. So, "pulled pork" is some clever marketing.
Edit to add, I now see THoog beat me to a response.

Must cry foul on this one my fellow Weber grill fan. (maybe you were kidding)
Pork butts, like beef brisket, contain a lot of connective tissue (collagen, elastin, and reticulin), and it's best cooked until this turns into gelatin.
Butts are usually finished at about 200°F internal temp and ready to pull.
This is true barbecue, and it's some of the finest eats known to man.

05-01-2016, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #26088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you cook it too long
No such a thing as cooking too long! If I wanted it chewy I would have "cooked" it in the microwave oven.
That pig was on the grill for 10 hours and it was so tender and moist that I had to slide it on to the serving plate. It was darn near perfect.
edit: this is a Boston butt roast, not a Christmas ham, that is a different story.
05-01-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #26089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
although that's some form of red sauce.
Nothing fancy, just Sweet Baby Ray`s from the store.
Original Barbecue Sauce | Sweet Baby Ray?s

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-01-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added a link.
05-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #26090
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Butts are usually finished at about 200°F internal temp and ready to pull.
This came off the grill at 208°F.
05-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #26091
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
What's the go with pulled pork? Why not just carved/sliced pork?
I just had pulled lamb for dinner (midday meal) and all the while I am 'pulling' it I am thinking (and occasionally quietly saying) "why aren't I just carving this?"
Carving makes it look neater on the plate!! This pulled thingy is just 'fashionable, trendy, in.' and doesn't suit my style. (But I did eat it).
That is just short of Hating Bacon. I think young Bert has a new sidekick.

BTW- Where is young Bert? My guess is that the shame is eating away at his young soul?
05-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #26092
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is pleasant talking to you when your conversation is just that and not talking qua mod.

Yes, the conversation at Pentax Forums is something I enjoy also. Of all the various online communities I have joined this one has proven the most rewarding.

05-01-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #26093
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Of all the various online communities I have joined this one has proven the most rewarding.
I don't do FB...lots of bad things happen there, and there is not much to stop it. Here guys with big hammers keep it relatively smooth.
I appreciate that we have some new and outstanding Mods that realize the social aspect of PForums along with the more technical and intellectual parts. It makes for interesting conversation and more enjoyment of just being here.

Of course, this being Otis' favorite hangout doesn't hurt either! ...doesn't hurt Otis.....might to a few others?

Regards!

I'm gonna stay in this thread as long as it's here....any day now the K1 will arrive and I'll become a Pro, but I won't forsake my friends here. "Rupert Types" have their problems and shortcomings, but abandoning their friends is not one of them.
05-01-2016, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #26094
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm gonna stay in this thread as long as it's here....any day now the K1 will arrive and I'll become a Pro, but I won't forsake my friends here. "Rupert Types" have their problems and shortcomings, but abandoning their friends is not one of them.
It's good to know you'll remember us "little people" once you turn pro.
05-01-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #26095
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is how you cook sausages:

05-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #26096
Pentaxian

I don't do FB...lots of bad things happen there, and there is not much to stop it. Here guys with big hammers keep it relatively smooth.
I appreciate that we have some new and outstanding Mods that realize the social aspect of PForums along with the more technical and intellectual parts. It makes for interesting conversation and more enjoyment of just being here.

Of course, this being Otis' favorite hangout doesn't hurt either! ...doesn't hurt Otis.....might to a few others?

Regards!

Once you have a K-1 why would you buy a K-3? That is obvious!

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

I have only eaten pulled pork a few times. First time was in Indianapolis some time about 2005, on my second visit to Indianapolis. The airline lost my baggage on the way and delivered each lost bag with a separate journey to the place I was staying. Both arrived later on the day I arrived, which was just as well given I was not staying long. I had trouble with my baggage the other time I went to Indianapolis.
05-01-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #26097
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is just short of Hating Bacon.
Who could possibly hate Bacon! Bacon cheeseburgers coming up shortly...
Attached Images

05-01-2016, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #26098
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Who could possibly hate Bacon!
This guy.
05-01-2016, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #26099
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Bacon cheeseburgers coming up shortly...
I had a bcacon cheeseburger for lunch at Wendys....with a baked potato. It was not bad at all, the bacon was very good......and it was a cheap meal served fast. $3 with a free "senior drink".

Got to save my cash for my Pro shooter outfit. I need alligator shoes and belt, a silk shirt, and some sleek stylish trousers. You can't be a Pro and go around in Farm Pants and a straw hat. Maybe an ivory cigarette holder too...even though I don't smoke, it will add some class...little gold band around it to match my gold belt buckle. Some dark aviator Serengeti shades and a gold money clip ought to round out the look.

I can hang out where Nikon,Canon, and Sony shooters congregate and show them what Pentax class is all about. You guys will be proud of me, no doubt!

Yep, I've read all those old FF threads and now I realize I too was held back all these years. I feel like I've been reborn....as the Pro I always should have been!

You guys don't go buying new outfits, you can dress casual when I am here, no need to feel uncomfortable in Pro company.

Regards!
05-01-2016, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #26100
Site Supporter