Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #26131
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We still have the crib my wife had when she was a baby Arizona. It is fully enclosed - a top actually folds over and locks - and screened with a heavy metal mesh . . . .

to protect the baby from scorpions. I scoffed at this idea for many years until . . . .

We once visited a friend in Scottsdale. He had built a showpiece custom home out in the desert - he was very proud - and gave us a tour as soon as we dropped our bags. As we passed through the Master Bath to exit onto a terrace with a sunset view I heard a skittering in the marble tub. My buddy calmly slipped off a flip flop, whacked the 4" long black scorpion, scooped it up with a nearby tool designed expressly for the purpose and dumped the remains in the trash can.
It was not uncommon, when I was in the army, for us to sit around at night and watch the scorpions running around. They can move pretty fast. A good trick was to place two scorpions in your dixie (field mess kit) and bet on the outcome of the fight to the death. I saw two guys climb a thorn tree to get away from an annoyed Puff Adder. Fools had made their bed tucked well under the tree, only to wake up with the Puff Adder curled up by their feet, and no-where for them to get out! Haven't laughed that hard since grandma got her you no what stuck in the mangler!

05-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #26132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
But does that mean they are more trustworthy than centipedes?
Hm, not sure. I feel kind of like eight legs is the peak of untrustworthyness. I'm pretty sure octopuses are plotting to overthrow the human race. Frankly, I wouldn't blame them. But still.
05-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #26133

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Hm, not sure. I feel kind of like eight legs is the peak of untrustworthyness. I'm pretty sure octopuses are plotting to overthrow the human race. Frankly, I wouldn't blame them. But still.
Octopi are very intelligent creatures. They are also very adaptable.

Oh, and quite tasty too!

I bet that Bert doesn't like octopus though. I mean, he dislikes bacon you know.
05-02-2016, 11:07 PM - 2 Likes   #26134
Site Supporter

Eight legs? No way. The peak of untrustworthyness is, without a shade of doubt, at two legs.

And, no, I don't mean chickens.

05-02-2016, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #26135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Eight legs? No way. The peak of untrustworthyness is, without a shade of doubt, at two legs.

And, no, I don't mean chickens.
Black-backed gulls? I'm fairly sure that they're Satan incarnate. At leas the ones we have in Tromsų.
05-03-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #26136
Site Supporter

Black-backed gulls? I'm fairly sure that they're Satan incarnate. At leas the ones we have in Tromsų.
I believe you. We only have the light-weight version in Oslo (as with most things, compared to Tromsų). Our gulls are nothing compared to the black-backed ones. Still vile, gluttonous things though. Almost like people.
05-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #26137
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I bet that Bert doesn't like octopus though. I mean, he dislikes bacon you know.
Where is Bert? Reckon his fellow cadets heard of his hate for bacon and did something drastic? Maybe they have just forced him into rehab...or are doing one of those "intervention thingys" where they all gather around and force feed him bacon until he mends his ways or his arteries completely clog?
05-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #26138
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Where is Bert? Reckon his fellow cadets heard of his hate for bacon and did something drastic?
Are you suggesting he's been 'fragged', Rupert? :-D

05-03-2016, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #26139
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Attached Images

05-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #26140
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just speculating.....we didn't do it, we are not that kind of guys here....well, most of us.

I can understand their embarrassment to have a bacon hater among them, and unlike us, they can actually get their hands on him.
Imagine at the big mess hall when they pass the bacon platter and young Bert blurts out...."Not me, I hate bacon!" That would certainly be reason enough to take drastic action. How could you trust your back to a guy that hated bacon???
05-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #26141
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just speculating.....we didn't do it, we are not that kind of guys here....well, most of us.

I can understand their embarrassment to have a bacon hater among them, and unlike us, they can actually get their hands on him.
Imagine at the big mess hall when they pass the bacon platter and young Bert blurts out...."Not me, I hate bacon!" That would certainly be reason enough to take drastic action. How could you trust your back to a guy that hated bacon???
You're right.

I think bacon haters should be able to serve in our armed forces without fear or prejudice.

Perhaps a 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy.
05-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #26142
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm about as liberal socially as they come Clackers, but I do draw the line at bacon haters. I come from a long line of bacon lovers going back to my Mom's Irish roots, where bacon was worshiped and to be served liberally with fine Irish baked potatoes. I know it's a changing world, but it is my belief that bacon hating is not acceptable or PC in most modern societies.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm willing to let Bert's peers make the call. It's their honor on the line.
05-03-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #26143

You're right.

I think bacon haters should be able to serve in our armed forces without fear or prejudice.

Perhaps a 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy.
Just to be clear.

Bert is not a bacon hater.

He simply does not care for it.

He even admitted to eating it now and again.
05-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #26144
Site Supporter

We're very liberal here in New Zealand. Anybody can marry anybody. Crimes are punished with a slab on the wrist with a wet bus ticket. So, it would not be fair for us to discriminate against poor Bert for not liking bacon.
05-03-2016, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #26145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We're very liberal here in New Zealand. Anybody can marry anybody. Crimes are punished with a slab on the wrist with a wet bus ticket. So, it would not be fair for us to discriminate against poor Bert for not liking bacon.
Yes, you've enlightened me, Mark.

Yesterday, I would have disinherited a son who didn't like bacon.

Today, I think, Bert is one of us, we must accept him completely - disability and all.

Come back, all is forgiven! ☺