Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #2611
Loyal Site Supporter

I dispute the notion that pugs are cute.

I counter with dachshunds are THE undisputed cuteness champeens!

01-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #2612
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
... and all other times. They also are known for farting so loud that they wake themselves, are frightened by the sound, and tear out of the room sounding like a steam locomotive throwing up. There are reports that they hide change, keys, and TV remotes in the fold of skin above their noses.

(or maybe this is just the one I knew, generally referred to as "Beelzepug').

No argument.
Todd,
Great description of teaching in middle school, especially to the gamers first period. They've been up all night on the X box. Cutting the cheese per your description is a true celebration in class of 30+ 13 year olds.
01-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #2613
Site Supporter

I love a dachshund trying to make his way in sixteen inches of snow. Labradors have no problem.
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #2614
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I dispute the notion that pugs are cute.

I counter with dachshunds are THE undisputed cuteness champeens!
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I love a dachshund trying to make his way in sixteen inches of snow. Labradors have no problem.
I do not believe a Pug is actually a dog.

Dachshunds, at least the pair my parents owned, are the most godawful, stubborn, obnoxious excuse for a pet ever created. One wonders what moment of insanity betook Noah that he wouldn't just leave the little beggars behind. (And the mosquitoes).

However, put a squirrel on the ground and no depth of snow, no height of fence, no breadth of briars nor any mere leash can restrain the determined dash-hound from pursuit of his intended quarry.

Now a Pembroke Welsh Corgi - there is a cute beast. Dumb as a post, but cute.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-04-2014 at 02:56 PM.
01-04-2014, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2615
Loyal Site Supporter

My sister & BinL had three little mixed breeds I that referred to collectively as the "white weiner dogs" - bodies like Dachshunds, coloring like Beagles. One had a Beagle face, one had a Chihuahua face, and one looked for all the world like a white Dachshund. She was always the joke of the family because going cross-country, she would bottom out in sand, soft dirt, snow, whatever. One day they found rats in the pumphouse. The bigger dogs were terrified, but she slipped past them and in minutes had exterminated those rats. She got a little respect after that.
01-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #2616
Loyal Site Supporter

One day they found rats in the pumphouse. The bigger dogs were terrified, but she slipped past them and in minutes had exterminated those rats. She got a little respect after that.
I don't care what that dog looked like, DNA typing would call it a Dachshund. They were actually intentionally bred as ratters.

But would any of them eat cheese?
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2617
Loyal Site Supporter

Ginger (she's a dachshund/sheltie mix) is TENACIOUS vs a rodent. The squirrels are too fast for her, though. They scramble up the trees & chatter back at her barking.
01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #2618
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, they were bred to hunt badgers, by going IN THE BADGER HOLES. It takes a LOT of balls to face down & kill a badger in his own home. Once you learn a bit about badgers & badger hunting, your respect for the tenacity of a dachshund grows immensely.

01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #2619
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't care what that dog looked like, DNA typing would call it a Dachshund. They were actually intentionally bred as ratters.
Yep. She also had a special bark known as the 'Sonic Stiletto' (tm pending), usually launched in your face at close range. Debate still rages whether it was used for stunning prey.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But would any of them eat cheese?
The "girls" would eat anything - including a Great Dane that decided to bark at them at the beach. They backed him into the ocean. The owner was humiliated. If you can't run with the big dogs...
01-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #2620
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Actually, they were bred to hunt badgers, by going IN THE BADGER HOLES. It takes a LOT of balls to face down & kill a badger in his own home. Once you learn a bit about badgers & badger hunting, your respect for the tenacity of a dachshund grows immensely.
Yep. She also had a special bark known as the 'Sonic Stiletto' (tm pending), usually launched in your face at close range. Debate still rages whether it was used for stunning prey.

The "girls" would eat anything - including a Great Dane that decided to bark at them at the beach. They backed him into the ocean. The owner was humiliated. If you can't run with the big dogs...
Yeah, I remembered that part about going down the holes but I never knew it was after badgers.

I saw a similar beat down with a Mastiff. I always wondered. That Mastif could have killed either Dacshund with one chomp, but after just one rumbling WOOF he backed away, never to be seen in our neighborhood again.
01-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #2621
Loyal Site Supporter

Dachshunds are billed as "half a dog high & a dog and a half long". I'd add to that that they have the courage of 10 dogs.
01-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #2622
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nowhere else to put this now that General Talk is closed.

Why I'm glad my daughters majored in English - and that we take photographs (it applies to us as well).
01-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #2623
Loyal Site Supporter

Another "cute" breed with a surprising prey drive are West Highland Terriers ("Westies"). My neighbor had one - looked like a plush toy, sweetest, friendliest dog ever - but if he saw a squirrel or cat, he would go beserk.
01-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #2624
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Movie based on this thread: Dawn of the Doomed Pentaxian Dead! "Cheese!!-Cheese!!"-in zombie voice
I guess that would be a <pause> Muenster Movie?

No?

Okay, I apologize twice - once for the pun, and once for not thinking of it until I went to the grocery store tonight. It kind of leapt out at me in the dairy aisle.
01-04-2014, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #2625
Site Supporter

Terriers historically were loved for killing rats. dachsunds for killing badgers. Labradors for finding killed ducks. Golden retrievers for loving all humans. Springer spaniels for finding ruffed grouse and quail. German shorthair pointers for---well, pointing obviously. Each breed has its design strength. We can consider them all Primes.