Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #26236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
To an Aussie, a rasher is one slice.
A bacon short is the meatiest end of a rasher - about half the length.
Same here. Same in South Africa, for that matter. 2-3 rashers would be the normal breakfast serving size.

05-06-2016, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #26237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm sticking with my flip phone.
If it does what you want, why not!
I was the last person I know (until you advertised the fact) that had a flip phone. (Oops I forgot my neighbour - he still has one; he is definitely not a technophile)
I now have a nice little Samsung Trend+ that is smarter than me.
I'm on a prepaid plan that is the cheapest in Oz, and can't use it enough to use up my monthly credit.
Yes it has a camera which did get a workout last vacation, because I didn't pack the recharger for my wife's Canon P&S and she used my phone once her battery went flat.
To me a phone is a phone is a phone: make calls, receive calls. (OK, once a month perhaps send a text message)
05-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #26238
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was the last person I know (until you advertised the fact) that had a flip phone.
I haven't had a flip phone since Columbus discovered the New World!
05-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #26239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I haven't had a flip phone since Columbus discovered the New World!
When you did have one, it was obviously one of the early models!

05-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #26240
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep, his Momma did the discipline at Gary's place and she was a tough as old boot leather. My Mom was just unhappy because they didn't keep me in jail. We weren't really bad kids, just adventurous and into pranks and typical acts of delinquency. One of my friends...that was ousted from our group......was served a hamburger at a downtown restaurant and it was raw. He asked for it to be cooked and they threw him out. That night the place burned to the ground. Not into violence or destruction....he had to go.

Don't know what a rasher is, but I'll take a couple too!
Rasher = slice.

When I was young the boys usually did laddish pranks, like you describe but there was not the nastiness that appears now. We seem to have clamped down on all 'boys will be boys' behaviour, so if they are going to get in trouble they may as well get in trouble for something big. Back in those days we used to do all kinds of things for ourselves, like walking to school, and now parents take us to school etc. I wonder if there is a link.

---------- Post added 05-07-16 at 04:18 PM ----------

To an Aussie, a rasher is one slice.
A bacon short is the meatiest end of a rasher - about half the length.
Racer is suffering from the American virtue of bigness.

---------- Post added 05-07-16 at 04:27 PM ----------

I was the last person I know (until you advertised the fact) that had a flip phone. (Oops I forgot my neighbour - he still has one; he is definitely not a technophile)
I now have a nice little Samsung Trend+ that is smarter than me.
I'm on a prepaid plan that is the cheapest in Oz, and can't use it enough to use up my monthly credit.
Yes it has a camera which did get a workout last vacation, because I didn't pack the recharger for my wife's Canon P&S and she used my phone once her battery went flat.
To me a phone is a phone is a phone: make calls, receive calls. (OK, once a month perhaps send a text message)
Funny, I thought like that till last August. I went to Taiwan and bought a prepaid card to tide me over, about 2 weeks. Cost about AUD12. Got unlimited data to use on the phone OR tether (or both), some amount of text and calls described as a money value to use for either. Used it as my broadband access device for the computer (most people now are dropping having landlines) and made just a few calls - to my bank in Australia and nearly used up all my credit, I think it ran out on my last call at the airport while leaving. What has interested me for years is how people's use of telecomms stuff depends on how the billing is done. In Australia the data allowances are so stingy and expensive that you do not want to use data except for specific searching.

Last edited by tim60; 05-06-2016 at 11:00 PM.
05-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #26241
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you did have one, it was obviously one of the early models!
Yes, steam operated!
All jokes aside. My first phone was an AEG brick!
05-07-2016, 04:07 AM   #26242
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Racer is suffering from the American virtue of bigness.

Maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
. . . . . (most people now are dropping having landlines) . . . . . .

Can't where I live. No cell service.

But the landline is new enough that it supports ADSL. Not bad really. Streams video onto the new 4k 55 inch flat screen on the wall very well.

And the TV cable is fiber optic.

Nice.

Well, except that it is a mile or so from the house. And the CATV carrier won't run an extension down our road.

I guess 24 potential customers isn't enough for a mile of cable.

Oh.

And there is no off air TV either. Since the guvmint mandated the digital broadcast change we no longer get reception. Even though the digital signal is way better, it doesn't travel as far as the good old fashioned analog one.

So we have a satellite dish.

05-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #26243
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

But the landline is new enough that it supports ADSL. Not bad really. Streams video onto the new 4k 55 inch flat screen on the wall very well.

ADSL is unfortunately the most usual Internet connection we have in Australia ... it deteriorates at distance from the exchange.

Your house must really push it, Racer X!
05-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #26244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, Jim, one thing we're sure of is that you won't let your success go to your head.
Everyone knows old Rupert is a humble and low-key guy...it won't be a noticeable transition...count on it!

A rasher of bacon is a portion, usually 3 slices. So two rashers would be about 6 slices.
I often buy the pre-cooked bacon at Aldis, it is very good and fast and easy. Must be 5- 6 rashers in a package and I microwave all of them, because we eat all of them.

I have a Tracfone flippy....seldom use it. Currently have almost 600 minutes available. Cost is about $8. a month. I'm not into all those fancy phones and am not really a phone type person, so this one does just fine for me.
Name:  Flippy.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  461.0 KB

OTOH- I recently bought Mrs Rupert a new Microsoft smart phone to go with her new Microsoft smart watch and new Microsoft big screen computer. She had been using and old Sprint flip phone for almost 10 years. She is a phone person and is in "phone heaven" with her new phone. It coordinates with her Microsoft Band and she keeps track of her Zoomba class exercises and other daily physical activities with ease.

I used her Band one day when she left it home....burned a whopping 14 calories!

Regards!
05-07-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #26245
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I often buy the pre-cooked bacon at Aldis, it is very good and fast and easy. Must be 5- 6 rashers in a package and I microwave all of them, because we eat all of them.
I know you love the stuff they scrape of the walls when they clean the sewers (it's marketed as "Velveeta"), but seriously - pre-cooked bacon? Heated in a microwave?

Something just died inside me

But hey, now that you've become a Pro I suppose you can do whatever the heck you want and get away with it

05-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #26246
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

.it won't be a noticeable transition...
I'd bet on that, too.
05-07-2016, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #26247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But hey, now that you've become a Pro I suppose you can do whatever the heck you want and get away with it
Pros have their privileges, you are correct. Who wants to argue with man wearing alligator shoes and a silk shirt?

It's real bacon, it's fast and if you are having a bacon withdrawal attack it can save your life. On top of that, it's damn good. Thin and crispy, never chewy and the flavor is outstanding. Don't go trying to be a Bacon Snob with a Pro like old Rupert......you're not dealing with young Bert, I'll chew you up!

Regards!
05-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #26248
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Pros have their privileges, you are correct. Who wants to argue with man wearing alligator shoes and a silk shirt?

It's real bacon, it's fast and if you are having a bacon withdrawal attack it can save your life. On top of that, it's damn good. Thin and crispy, never chewy and the flavor is outstanding. Don't go trying to be a Bacon Snob with a Pro like old Rupert......you're not dealing with young Bert, I'll chew you up!

Regards!

Go easy on him Jim. Way up there in Norwaytown the sun is still only up for 20 minutes or so each day, it rarely gets warmer than freezing and there is snow so deep that homes are no more than a bump on the horizon.

Savoche's brain may still be a tad frozen.

Once it warms up and the snow melts, he should realize that pre-cooked bacon is every bit as good as the kind you actually have to get the kitchen messy for.

05-07-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #26249
Veteran Member

Go easy on him Jim. Way up there in Norwaytown the sun is still only up for 20 minutes or so each day, it rarely gets warmer than freezing and there is snow so deep that homes are no more than a bump on the horizon.

Savoche's brain may still be a tad frozen.

Once it warms up and the snow melts, he should realize that pre-cooked bacon is every bit as good as the kind you actually have to get the kitchen messy for.
Thanks Racer.....I didn't know all of that and it is now understandable how he might be a little temperamental in that situation.

My sincere apology Savoche for making a terroristic threat..... it's not like me to go ballistic, this being a Pro is stressing me out already!

Not Otis......he felt the need to not be outdone and got himself a silk shirt too!

Name:  Silk Shirt.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  201.2 KB

Regards!
05-07-2016, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #26250
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Racer.....I didn't know all of that and it is now understandable how he might be a little temperamental in that situation.

My sincere apology Savoche for making a terroristic threat..... it's not like me to go ballistic, this being a Pro is stressing me out already!
Living in the brain-roasting heat of Texas you have no idea what frozen testies can do to your mood - so don't push it. I'm sure I have that axe from Eric the Red's time somewhere.

Oh well, nothing that chewing some mushrooms can't cure