Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #26326
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No one here? A good time for more squirrels!

I don't buy a lot of ear corn, it is expensive and hard to keep.....weevils get at it quickly. When I do it is a treat the squirrels crave.

This little girly loves it!

So does her tiny little brother.

Typing this...the doorbell rang...you guys are the first to know.....I am a Pro now! Can't wait to get the box open! I don't feel any different, but I'm sure it's coming!

Regards!

05-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #26327
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am a Pro now!

Kidding, we all know you're too damn old to get too damn uppity.
Congratulations!!
05-09-2016, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #26328
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Typing this...the doorbell rang...you guys are the first to know.....I am a Pro now! Can't wait to get the box open! I don't feel any different, but I'm sure it's coming!

You will, Rupert, forget the blue pills, for the next year the contents of that box will make you unable to stand while people are watching.
05-09-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #26329
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL!

Where's my hat?

It's hanging on your lap.

05-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #26330
Site Supporter

Typing this...the doorbell rang...you guys are the first to know.....I am a Pro now!
Glad I got my boots on! LOL
05-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #26331
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You will, Rupert, forget the blue pills, for the next year the contents of that box will make you unable to stand while people are watching.
Heck, that alone will offset the cost of the K1! Those damn pills are worth more than gold, and more expensive too.

Progress report....I have the strap on it. I'm going to read the manual a little tonight, and not get in a big rush...Pros need to get it right or face ridicule, I am told?

It is not much larger than my K5IIs...a little heaver and very nicely built with the typical Pentax very solid feel. The flippy screen is pretty neat, don't know that it offers much for me, but then again, it might, so I am glad to see it.

Dental appointment tomorrow......so tomorrow evening I should get a few shots, squirrels willing and the creeks don't rise.

BTW- Found the DPR mini review on to be very refreshing.....I've never heard such words there for a Pentax camera.

No alias: Pentax K-1 Pixel Shift shows impressive early results: Digital Photography Review
05-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #26332

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know because I still don't know what a K1 is.
Well maybe you can go change the title and add the hyphen. I don't have the power to do so. And it clearly is causing some consternation on your part.

Go ahead.

Do it.
05-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #26333
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
One of the two dominant players here has just had a completely disastrous foray into the hardware superstore business. Their operating costs are now high to cover this mess and Aldi are really kicking their opponent while they're down.

As a consumer, I am of course cheering.
That was WOW. Lost a mint on the hardware shop. The other one is owned by the company that also owns the major hardware chain, WES. (And a bunch of other things like fertiliser manufacturing.)

Last edited by tim60; 05-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.
05-10-2016, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #26334
Loyal Site Supporter

It's real ...and It's awesome.....the K1. Being with two broken feet it is going to take me some time to figure out the settings, button layout and what does what. I think it may be along journey, I never learned to set a VCR and have never set up anything on my flip phone....because I don't know how.

I'll do a review after I have some experience...a week or so maybe...not here but maybe over in the Lounge or someplace.

What I can tell you is from the few shots I have snapped just to see if it works....it works!

These are the lower level Jpegs with minimal processing. Colors are excellent.Everything about handling is superb, build is second to none....better than any Nikon or Canon FF I have ever handled...seriously.

Everyone has their purposes and needs...I went straight for mine. Crop mode (easy to access) high ISO and of course the AF.

In the low morning light it blew me away that I could use ISO 12,800 a speed of 1/250 and f8 @ 330mm. Just astonishing!

ISO 6400 1/160 f8 @ 450mm in lower light......I could never do this with my K5 series.

ISO 6400 1/160 f8 @ 500mm

All were handheld and lightly processed.

AF? Everyone asks about AF. Every new Pentax is "going to be better". I'll be damn, this one genuinely is! I've shot Canon and Nikon and there is no second seat here, it is wonderful. Fast and accurate. I have struggled with the Bigma on several different Pentax bodies in the past. Seldom even attempt low light shooting with it, and have added some new cuss words over the years in frustration. This baby nails it and likkity split fast....unbelievable! Even at f8in the low light it was right on target instantly.

I have a ton to learn, these are not my Pro shots, just quick snaps to satisfy my curiosity. I didn't even have on my silk shirt.

It's early in exploring the K1, I'm about as much a Pro as Mrs Rupert.......but I can safely tell you this. This is not your old Pentax, this is a whole new world and it is simply amazing! Any shooter would love this camera, no matter what they shoot with now.....no matter what brand or model, they would love this camera.

Regards!

Any questions in specific, I will try to answer. Don't want to use this as a gear thread, so PM me if you desire. I only posted this out of my excitement and this is where my best friends hang.

Regards!
05-10-2016, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26335
Emperor and Senpai

Wait until you get your hands on the DFA 150-450 then Rupert!

Also, bacon, bacon, lutefisk, velveeta, bacon, snow, bacon lutefisk surstromming bacon K3 girls hocir mushroom godzilla Tokyo bacon.
05-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #26336
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And it clearly is causing some consternation on your part.
Not causing me any. I'm just trying to cause you some.

(How did I do?)
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #26337
Loyal Site Supporter

Squirrels and doves...can't go without posting my first K1 dove!

I could never get this shot with my K5IIs...wouldn't even have tried. Not enough light to get a good focus, and too much noise at ISO 2500 if I did. For the K1......instant focus, and I mean instant! The Bigma is so happy it may go orgasmic...or maybe me!

1/80 handheld .....fantastic SR! wide open at f6.3 ISO 2500 @ 500mm My first K1 dove...first of thousands to come!

Regards!
05-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #26338

Not causing me any.

Could have fooled me.

Nobody else has mentioned it.

I'm just trying to cause you some.

(How did I do?)

Failed.
05-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #26339
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Failed.
Sigh...........
05-10-2016, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #26340
Site Supporter

It rained today. I had lunch with friends at The Swan. Las night I had dinner with te same friends at Bath. And for the prurient among you, not carefully that I deliberately used the preposition "at" and not "in".

Rupert, Otis will need an explanation of the last sentence.