Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #26476
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Plumbers make poor roofers?
I know one who isn't particularly adept at climbing.

05-14-2016, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #26477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
His fall must have been due to slipping on bacon grease.
05-14-2016, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #26478
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You can position your feet on the pedals in such a way that your ankles do not have to flex at all. It's not the most efficient way, but if you put your arch, or a bit more towards the heel on the pedals, the ankle does not need to flex at all.
The ideal situation, of course, would be to stay off of roofs so ankle issues would not be a factor.
I might could do that then. I'll find a dealer and take a look, though I doubt I'll want to actually buy one. The staying off of roofs is a great idea...just a little late in my case.

I got several decent "Pro" shots today and had fun doing it. This was not my best one...but Otis said it was so I have to post it.

Sure am glad I found this thread and let you guys talk me out of buying a K3....I never would have made Pro with a K3.

Regards!
05-14-2016, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #26479
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, I'm going to say isomething here that I wouldn't dare say in any other thread.
I've looked at pictures here, and in other threads, taken with a K-1 and I swear they look different. Sharper? More 3d? I can't put my finger on it, but they just look different; in a positive way.

05-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #26480
Pentaxian

Yep. Land, sea, and air. Lutefisk/pickled herring, bacon/bbq, and airplanes.
It doesn't get any better than that!

As to propulsion kayaks -
I used to carry Hobie. They have a line of pedaled kayaks that utilize a pair of fins that stick down through the hull. They are absolutely for propulsion and do a really good job.
From the looks of it I suspect the one Jim bought is going to cruise right along as well.
The fly shop here in town carries both Hobies and Native. Which makes it really nice when trying to choose... Both methods are easily capable of getting a sustained pace that can outlast most paddlers, and with the leg muscles it's easier to keep it going long duration. I am working on editing some of the (mostly crappy) video from the WG-10, it shows both drives in action both above and below water and shows the speed even I could achieve.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I can see they're way more serious than the ones I've encountered.

I guess they're like 'bent' bikes. I'm not a fan of how you can't get your torso involved, but legs are more efficient than arms, and hey, you can lie back consuming a BLT!
Or the beverage of your choice. Or both!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Question....seriously...do your ankles have to move much when pedaling? Like on a bike or with less rotation of the ankle joints? Not that it would be anything I need but who knows? That stretch of the Trinity River has enticed me for years. They have found a lot of dead bodies there over the years..it is on the edge of downtown and there is a couple of bridges then it turns into a very remote area with nothing but dense woods. Lots of wildlife in there besides just the dead bodies.
When I worked at the police dept....years ago...a friend went on a rescue mission downriver and said he saw more wildlife than he had ever seen anywhere in this area. A few gators are known to reside there too. Damn I wish I was a few years younger!

Regards!
Ankle rotation seemed less than on a bicycle to me. I think that could be mostly a matter of individual style, though. I don't think there is anything inherent in the drive one way or the other. One thing for certain is that you don't need to apply a whole lot of effort to get the boat up to a nice cruising speed (3, 3.5 mph or so).

Was that in Otis territory by chance?? Might have to swing your K-1 as a club if you go in there...

Jim
05-14-2016, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #26481
Pentaxian

And, just got back from the theatre - Captain America flick was great...
05-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #26482
Pentaxian

My dogs eat steamed squash.... But that's not why I didn't not buy a K3 or a K3 II.

05-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #26483
Veteran Member

Okay, I'm going to say is something here that I wouldn't dare say in any other thread.
I've looked at pictures here, and in other threads, taken with a K-1 and I swear they look different. Sharper? More 3d? I can't put my finger on it, but they just look different; in a positive way.
Well, I think you are right, in particular with the FF shots. After all, FF is a different ballgame. For my shots, which are almost all crop shots so far, they are basically K5IIs shots that are shot with the K1. Except.....better and faster focus, more accurate....better by far high ISO IQ....and perhaps a different processing engine in the K1 that also makes a difference?

I get a lot better detail with the K1 than I have before...and the shots come much easier with fewer deletes. It is probably a combination of factors, but I do agree the K1 shots are more magical in many cases.

Adversarialy ....We are seeing a lot of very fine glass used with the K1 by some... which is going to reflect in the IQ seen here considerably. I keep in mind that what we see on the web is seldom a true reflection of how a shot might print. Large printing for the K1 should be a dream.

Look at his head....pretty decent detail for a Bigma lens. I do see a difference when mounted on the K1.

At 1/160 handheld f8 ISO 640 @ 500mm.......I won't complain.

---------- Post added 05-14-16 at 09:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Was that in Otis territory by chance?? Might have to swing your K-1 as a club if you go in there...
No way I would linger in Otis territory! It is damn scary in there.
05-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #26484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice sir!
05-14-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #26485
Pentaxian

I'm a kayaker, Roxndox, and thinking they shouldn't be sore if your technique's right - minimum use of those muscles, but back nice and upright, economically twisting your trunk each stroke instead of trying to do everything from the arms.

The pedal units on yaks I've seen were just to allow re-positioning while you had your hands full with the rod and gear, not really to get from A to B. Seems interesting, let us know how it all goes.

Land, sea or air, this thread's got it covered, why would you go anywhere else? ☺
Technique helps, but not enough. Last April, I had a C7/T1 cervical fusion, and I still have issues with the area, plenty of stiffness that PT couldn't entirely get rid of, and lingering nerve affects on the ulnar exiting the spine and thru the shoulder joint. The portion of the hand ennervated by the ulnar will really truly not enjoy the experience if I'm paddling too long (or cycling, or hitting mouse/keyboard all day...) - anything that requires sustained gripping I just don't have the endurance for nowadays. The pedal drive, for me, is essentially the only way I can continue to get myself out on the water without making my medical issues worse. And, given my job, getting out on the water is the thing that keeps me sorta sane...

Although I do hang out in the baconlutefiskvelveetaskwerlziqunaaq thread a lot, so the sanity may be pretty well expired.

Jim
05-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #26486
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Technique helps, but not enough. Last April, I had a C7/T1 cervical fusion
That's reason enough. Great to see you've found a way to not give up doing what you love, Jim!

I've got wetsuit-style top and bottom now so the kayak for me shouldn't be something I ignore for six months of the year. ☺

Last edited by clackers; 05-14-2016 at 07:55 PM.
05-14-2016, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #26487
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
......... and hey, you can lie back consuming a BLT!

Don't leave out the beer.
05-14-2016, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #26488
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Don't leave out the beer.
Rudder control lever on the port side, beverage holder on the starboard side of the seat! For the important stuff 😎
05-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #26489
Pentaxian

Here is some video from the WG-10, showing the drive systems above and below the water. Quality is crap, it was bright sunlight and reflections, and a lot of operator error going on But it shows how the drives work and gives an indication of the speeds you can get them going.

I have to say the editing is crap too - this is my first attempt at using the iMovie on our Macs... But, what the hell, ya know? What're they gonna do, take away my bacon and make me eat iqunaaq?

Jim

05-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #26490
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can position your feet on the pedals in such a way that your ankles do not have to flex at all. It's not the most efficient way, but if you put your arch, or a bit more towards the heel on the pedals, the ankle does not need to flex at all.
The ideal situation, of course, would be to stay off of roofs so ankle issues would not be a factor.
But his problem is that he has already been on the roof, and had an incident. Staying off the roof now is not a method of restoration.

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
His fall must have been due to slipping on bacon grease.
Impugning bacon: something bad will happen to you.

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I might could do that then. I'll find a dealer and take a look, though I doubt I'll want to actually buy one. The staying off of roofs is a great idea...just a little late in my case.

I got several decent "Pro" shots today and had fun doing it. This was not my best one...but Otis said it was so I have to post it.

Sure am glad I found this thread and let you guys talk me out of buying a K3....I never would have made Pro with a K3.

Regards!
Watch out, Mrs Rupert will soon be seeking her ROI. What does she consider a good rate?