Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #26491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But his problem is that he has already been on the roof, and had an incident. Staying off the roof now is not a method of restoration.
It is sort of like good advice just after the nick of time.

05-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #26492
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
It is sort of like good advice just after the nick of time.
Don't you hate it when people are wise after the event.
05-14-2016, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #26493
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Here is some video from the WG-10, showing the drive systems above and below the water.
Is that your knees making the creaking sounds?

Steve
05-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #26494

Here is some video from the WG-10, showing the drive systems above and below the water. Quality is crap, it was bright sunlight and reflections, and a lot of operator error going on But it shows how the drives work and gives an indication of the speeds you can get them going.

I have to say the editing is crap too - this is my first attempt at using the iMovie on our Macs... But, what the hell, ya know? What're they gonna do, take away my bacon and make me eat iqunaaq?

Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFzSl_nzXg
Nice stuff Jim, the amateur nature of the video is similar to scars in fine leather, right?

So the Hobie looks like it has chains that operate the flippers. I would think that adds to the mechanical complexity of the setup. Probably not as good as the ring and pinion of the Propel in that regard.

And the Hobie doesn't do reverse, am I right?

Oh, and it needs some lube somewhere, that squeaking would drive me nuts.

The Propel looks like it would be a great boat to go out on, but I would prefer more enclosed stowage. I noticed there didn't seem to be any cavitation around the prop. Pretty good design.

You must have been demoing these boats, eh?

The shop where I got mine is on Lake Union. They let us take out several different models and brands, and even try out different paddles. I haggled and went home with two 12' Dirigo boats, two vests and Werner paddles (made right up the road in Sultan, WA). I even got the guy to throw in a hand siphon and a couple dry bags.

And then the guy gave me another 20% off on the boats, as they had some promotion going on.

We take them down the South Fork of the Stilly at least once each year, but try for 3 to 6 trips before the river runs too shallow in late August. Been out to Lake Bosworth a few times, and Spada Lake once.

The Snohomish River would make a nice cruise starting upstream of Monroe, maybe starting in Sultan. I'd like to get out on the lakes more, there are so many around here, and it is less work than dragging the boats over the shallower rapids on the river. There are plenty of sloughs in and around Ebey Island that would be fun to explore and fish.

05-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #26495

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Look at his head....pretty decent detail for a Bigma lens. I do see a difference when mounted on the K1.

At 1/160 handheld f8 ISO 640 @ 500mm.......I won't complain.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7518/26408128174_38a2a36e85_c.jpg

That is a very nice portrait Jim.

It should be in the gallery here.
05-15-2016, 02:24 AM   #26496
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Don't leave out the beer.
Yeah, boats and alcohol aren't a great mix, but it seems to be de rigeur for fishing in Australia.
05-15-2016, 03:03 AM   #26497

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, boats and alcohol aren't a great mix, but it seems to be de rigeur for fishing in Australia.

Always consume responsibly.
05-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #26498
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is some video from the WG-10, showing the drive systems above and below the water. Quality is crap, it was bright sunlight and reflections, and a lot of operator error going on But it shows how the drives work and gives an indication of the speeds you can get them going.
I really appreciate that video, and it was plenty good too! The ankle motion is not more than I could handle and might even be therapeutic for me? Which popped into my head when I was thinking of how I might convince Mrs Rupert I needed one of those. I could easily get my Doc to recommend it......
First I have to decide if I am too lazy to actually do it? For a guy that sits at his desk and shoots out the windows, and considers a 100 foot walk into the Woods of Otis as a safari.....that is pretty much self answering.

How do you transport your craft? That is a concern.

Regards & thanks!

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 09:09 AM ----------

That is a very nice portrait Jim.
Thanks Racer! I will get around to that gallery.
...or drink Pabst Blue Ribbon sparkling water near lakes, streams, and Lake Patrolmen!

Regards!

05-15-2016, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #26499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is that your knees making the creaking sounds
Thankfully, no. So far, anyway!

Nice stuff Jim, the amateur nature of the video is similar to scars in fine leather, right?

So the Hobie looks like it has chains that operate the flippers. I would think that adds to the mechanical complexity of the setup. Probably not as good as the ring and pinion of the Propel in that regard.

And the Hobie doesn't do reverse, am I right?

Oh, and it needs some lube somewhere, that squeaking would drive me nuts.

The Propel looks like it would be a great boat to go out on, but I would prefer more enclosed stowage. I noticed there didn't seem to be any cavitation around the prop. Pretty good design.

You must have been demoing these boats, eh?

The shop where I got mine is on Lake Union. They let us take out several different models and brands, and even try out different paddles. I haggled and went home with two 12' Dirigo boats, two vests and Werner paddles (made right up the road in Sultan, WA). I even got the guy to throw in a hand siphon and a couple dry bags.

And then the guy gave me another 20% off on the boats, as they had some promotion going on.

We take them down the South Fork of the Stilly at least once each year, but try for 3 to 6 trips before the river runs too shallow in late August. Been out to Lake Bosworth a few times, and Spada Lake once.

The Snohomish River would make a nice cruise starting upstream of Monroe, maybe starting in Sultan. I'd like to get out on the lakes more, there are so many around here, and it is less work than dragging the boats over the shallower rapids on the river. There are plenty of sloughs in and around Ebey Island that would be fun to explore and fish.
Yes, the Mirage drives are chained vs the Propel's gearing. It may be bit more exposed and have a little more complexity, but the Hobie owners don't seem to have any problems with it. The biggest problems I read about are bent fins if they run into something. And then a lot of times they'll just take the drive out, beat the axle rod straight, and keep on going... No reverse, although you can sorta do that - pull the drive out and flip it around and point the fins the other way... I hear some do that. Seems very awkward.

Prop cavitation depends of level of effort, of course. A hard start, or going into reverse, will cavitate but not for too long, it catches up quickly...

I have talked to the guys at that shop on Lk Union, but getting thru that area's traffic during the day - I think I'd prefer to peel a strip of skin off without anesthetic And since we have a local shop just a mile away that carries both, hey makes it pretty dang nice!

Friday was a Hobie demo day, so there was a rep out with a collection of all their boats. The local guys had also brought down their demo Native for tryouts. I had arranged that part ahead of time, but I did see a couple of others giving it a run too.

I am going to have to get together with my brother in Mukilteo and see about getting him out and around, now that I've got two boats in the fleet. Ebey or the sloughs, or th rivers once I get a bit of seat time, all candidates.

I really appreciate that video, and it was plenty good too! The ankle motion is not more than I could handle and might even be therapeutic for me? Which popped into my head when I was thinking of how I might convince Mrs Rupert I needed one of those. I could easily get my Doc to recommend it......
First I have to decide if I am too lazy to actually do it? For a guy that sits at his desk and shoots out the windows, and considers a 100 foot walk into the Woods of Otis as a safari.....that is pretty much self answering.

How do you transport your craft? That is a concern.

Regards & thanks!
The nice thing is that you're getting the ankle motion to whatever extent your foot placement sets, but it's not weight-bearing so it's pretty easy on you. Sounds like a plus!

I put the boat(s) in the bed of my pickup. My first boat is a 12-footer, and it fit OK with just the tailgate down and strapped in place. For the new boat, a 13-footer, I am getting a hitch mounted truck bed extender that will reach out 4' and give me a crossbar support. For moving the boat to and from the water, I use a fold-up cart that straps under the hull. Pretty much a necessary bit of gear too!

Jim
05-15-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #26500
Pentaxian

ooh, post number 26,500 maybe?
05-15-2016, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #26501
Site Supporter

ooh, post number 26,500 maybe?
Not bad, but I still have post 23456

I'm thinking of going pro, like another member here recently did.

05-15-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #26502
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm thinking of going pro, like another member here recently did.
Don't do it! Squirrels run from the alligator loafers after laughing at my silk shirt and outfit every time I walk out the door. A lady at Aldis stopped me and told me Halloween is months away....

The nice thing is that you're getting the ankle motion to whatever extent your foot placement sets, but it's not weight-bearing so it's pretty easy on you. Sounds like a plus!

I put the boat(s) in the bed of my pickup. My first boat is a 12-footer, and it fit OK with just the tailgate down and strapped in place. For the new boat, a 13-footer, I am getting a hitch mounted truck bed extender that will reach out 4' and give me a crossbar support. For moving the boat to and from the water, I use a fold-up cart that straps under the hull. Pretty much a necessary bit of gear too!
I appreciate the info...and it sounds like great fun. However, realizing that I haven't taken out the trash in two days...and wondering if I can tolerate the aroma one more day before I make that long trip of about 75 feet to the outside container....I'm almost certain I am too lazy for any boating activity.

Regards!

Here's an "Ask the Pro" question I have been getting......"Rupert, you old Pro, is the new K1 SR really any better? "

1/50 handheld @500mm full crop mode

1/50 handheld @ 500mm.....A 50% crop of a crop mode shot...his tail was moving!

Neither are outstanding shots, but with a little practice it is not hard to get decent shots at very low speeds with the K1.

I am assuming some here have a K1 interest...after all, it has kept me from buying a K3...it could save you too!
05-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #26503

I am assuming some here have a K1 interest...after all, it has kept me from buying a K3...it could save you too!

Saving for a K-1 is yet another reason, among a bazillion, that keeps the livE hociR from darkening my doorstep.

It is far more than simple interest.

For me it has become an obsession.

After all, I created a support group.

And I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to wait until I own one before the gallery there gets any photos in it.
05-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #26504
Site Supporter

Don't do it! Squirrels run from the alligator loafers
Yes, probably best I don't turn Pro then since I wear size 15 shoes, and that's a lot of costly alligator hides.

Pretty birdies!
at least they take it seriously getting shot by a Pro.
05-15-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #26505
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yes, probably best I don't turn Pro then since I wear size 15 shoes, and that's a lot of costly alligator hides.

Pretty birdies!
at least they take it seriously getting shot by a Pro.
Yep, that is some serious gator hide!

This newbie squirrel took it more seriously than the birdies......he said he could pose a t 1/25 @ 450mm handheld...and he did!

It scared hm so he backed off to 1/40 handheld @ 500mm.

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 03:50 PM ----------

And I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to wait until I own one before the gallery there gets any photos in it.
Stop whining....I'm gonna get some in there today. I was hoping someone would go first, me being a Pro and all, I don't want to seem pushy.