Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm guessing using a very small grill??

05-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #26537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Oh I get out every day...but don't do any 50 miles...more like 50 feet at a time. I feed the animals twice a day, visit my friends in town .....and those dozen Chocolate Girlfriends. I'd do more if my feet would let me.
That`s good sir, as long as you get your heart rate up some
05-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #26538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just wondering...reckon how corn fed squirrel would grill?
Should be fine cooked in butter or bacon-fat! Not sure about straight on the grill, might dry out some.
05-16-2016, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #26539
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Lesser of two evils I guess, exercise (and be able to indulge in an occasional bacon feast) or die on the couch watching TV
Dieing on the couch watching tv would be my second choice of how to die.
#1 would be walking out of a whor whoopi parlor and get run over by a beer truck.

05-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #26540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
#1 would be walking out of a whor whoopi parlor and get run over by a beer truck.
Well that would be great, so would be winning the lottery
05-16-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #26541
Veteran Member

Well that would be great, so would be winning the lottery
That reminds me, I miss this show.

05-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #26542
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

That reminds me, I miss this show.
Me too!

05-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #26543
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm sure the Chocolate Girlfriends get his heart rate up.
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #26544
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a Kenworth cabover today. It was a gorgeous truck that appeared to be new, or nearly new. I can't remember the last time I saw a cabover. They were popular in the 60s and 70s, but then seemed to disappear.
What happened to them? I heard they were rough on the driver.
05-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #26545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lot's of cabovers in Oz. (Mack, Kenworth, Mercedes, Iveco, - Ford, Scania & Volvo might run more conventional trucks)
The local trucking company are almost exclusively cabovers.
05-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #26546
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I saw a Kenworth cabover today. It was a gorgeous truck that appeared to be new, or nearly new. I can't remember the last time I saw a cabover. They were popular in the 60s and 70s, but then seemed to disappear.
What happened to them? I heard they were rough on the driver.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Lot's of cabovers in Oz. (Mack, Kenworth, Mercedes, Iveco, - Ford, Scania & Volvo might run more conventional trucks)
The local trucking company are almost exclusively cabovers.

Cabover trucks in North America went the way of the dodo bird. Yes they were very rough on drivers. Ergonomics were never considered when designing them. Climbing in and out required monkey like climbing skills. The seat position was all wrong, something about sitting above and ahead of the steer axle that just doesn't work. The farther the seat is from the roll center of the chassis the more it moves up, down, sideways, etc. The sleeper usually was little more than a coffin like bunk, the driver could not stand up while getting dressed or undressed. Add to that the engine and transmission are right there, with all the noise and heat they make.

Any time the engine requires maintenance or repair, the cab must be jacked up. What a pain.

Cabovers were developed to maximize the amount of freight a tractor/trailer rig could carry. They also allowed for better maneuverability.

But as roads became wider and intersections larger things began to change. Also, the overall length of combination vehicles has increased.

Conventional tractors are well designed ergonomically, giving a ride that a cabover never even came close to. Coupled with an air ride seat, and air bag suspension a conventional tractor gives a ride that rivals the better high end cars.

So the conventional tractor has become the norm in North America.

In Europe roads are still narrow and tight, having been developed hundreds of years before heavy trucks came along. Considering that improving the infrastructure would be cost prohibitive, cabover trucks are the norm. Same for New Zealand.

Considering that road trains running the Outback in Australia are exclusively conventional cabs it gives me reason to wonder why cabover trucks are still in use there at all.

I have driven both types of tractor and would take a conventional over a cabover every time. Conventionals ride better, handle better, and are much easier to work on.
05-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #26547
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Two things really stood out on this one. One was that, as I said, it seemed new and the other was that the wheelbase seemed as long as a conventional. I swear the 5th wheel was good 10 - 12 feet behind the back of the sleeper.
Watching it take off from stop lights was fun though. It was towing a low-boy with a road grader on it. At the initial start and the first two shifts it looked like the cab was going to twist right off from the torque. I know that twist occurs on all to varying degrees depending on load, HP, and other factors, but it was really pronounced on this.
05-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #26548
Veteran Member

You know, I have the good fortune to be at a place that values my well being. I could get lazy enough here at my desk shooting out the windows that my heart would just slow down...and stop.
Knowing this, they have assigned an entire team of Mods to monitor my every post and every so often send me a PM that gets my heart racing again. You can't imagine how much I appreciate it, and without their concern I might not be here today.....heck, if I get too many of those helpful greetings I still might not be here!

Name:  Infractions copy.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  109.1 KB

Best Regards!
05-17-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #26549
Veteran Member

Well crud Rup, that made me go take a look at that thread.
I've mostly stayed far away from all the Full of Fat stuff.
It's hard to believe how many anal retentive members we have on PF, thankfully they don't hang out here very often.
05-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #26550
Veteran Member

Well crud Rup, that made me go take a look at that thread.
I've mostly stayed far away from all the Full of Fat stuff.
It's hard to believe how many anal retentive members we have on PF, thankfully they don't hang out here very often.
Well, I'm pretty used to it. My Mom taught me to read and write when I was 4 years old....something I think she still regrets.

In the 1st grade I could read and write while most kids were learning the alphabet. So it was a dead giveaway when "Rupert Type" things showed up on the chalkboard. I got used to Mrs High saying....."Little Jimmy, the principal wants to see you."

The post you read had been corrected, and I have no complaint, however I do remind to be careful about referring to camera body parts!

Regards!

BTW- I haven't been back in that thread. Has anyone there committed suicide yet over that little scratch thingy? Some seemed very close. I expect we lost a few that might have actually got that tiny scratch?