Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #2671
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Here ya go.

They were actually cattle dogs, bred to be small enough to be comfortable riding side saddle on a horse. The breeders have increased their size to un-manageable proportions (in terms of horse back riding ability), and theres a movement amongst purists to promote what are now called "mini australian shepherds" that while called mini, are actually the 20-30 pounds they were when they were working dogs.

Mine really likes cheese. In fact I tell folks she's a cheese hound. I often forget to mention the Australian thing. I find it surprising that folks who originally bred these animals even knew there was such a place as Australia. I wonder if all the Texas Ranchers had such a good grasp of places of the world.

We could start a petition to officially have the breed re-christened "Cheese Hounds"

Cheese should in a perfect world, have it's own breed of dog. If they don't make it as "Cheese Hounds", "Bacon Hounds" would be good too. She also loves bacon.
(I'm always the activist.)
Your dog is beautiful and your photo captured her wonderfully. I have seen Aussies with blue eyes here in Minnesota. Possibly cross bred with Alaskan Malemutes?

01-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #2672
Loyal Site Supporter

No, Australian Shepherd dogs usually do have blue eyes.

There, I fixed it.

Last edited by dansamy; 01-05-2014 at 02:56 PM.
01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #2673
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
No, Aussies usually do have blue eyes.
Our long lost friend from while back, from Aussie, had greenish blue eyes IIRC.
01-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #2674
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
At my home slightly north of the 47th Parallel on Lower Ten Mile Lake Road in Minnesota, dawn temp was -38F. .
I was just about to start whining about our 9 below.
Nevermind. You win!

01-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #2675
Site Supporter

I have bluish grey eyes. Does that make me a dog?
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2676
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh and I'm still gonna whine about my "cold" weather. It's supposed to be about 15℉ tonight. That's bull! It's Alafreakingbama, not Colorado!
01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #2677
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have bluish grey eyes. Does that make me a dog?
Most likely not.
Out friend was not a dog either, not by a long shot. She reminded me of Bo Derek with dark hair.
We need a tong out drooling smiley, now.
01-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #2678
Site Supporter

Oh and I'm still gonna whine about my "cold" weather. It's supposed to be about 15℉ tonight. That's bull! It's Alafreakingbama, not Colorado!
But your state and the Gulp of Mexico are performing yeoman service in sucking the arctic vortex south. Thermodynamics teach us that entropy mandates heat transfer from warm to cold, i.e. my fingers on the camera today. Alabama and the Gulp produce an anti-entropic low pressure area of rising heated air, thereby enforcing the third law of Thermodynamics (or maybe the first, I dunno) where dense cold arctic air is sucked southward to fill the imbalanced low air pressure created by the warm Gulp waters. Thank you. By Thursday, Minnesota will be basking in Alabama temps while you will be slightly cool in your flip flops and shorts. The contribution of Alabama to the winter survival of life as we know it up north is greatly appreciated.

And we eat a lot of cheese!

01-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #2679
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #2680
Pentaxian

And I was just about to open my mouth about our Texas weather. Shutting up & sitting back now.
01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #2681
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's bull! It's Alafreakingbama, not Colorado!
Correction: Alafrozenbama!!!
Science trick for those dropping to around -40 tonight: Take a cup of boiling hot water outside and throw it in the air! Instant snow!! Totally cool!! works with coffee too, but why waste it! Don't use cold water unless you want to be wet.
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #2682
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
But your state and the Gulp of Mexico are performing yeoman service in sucking the arctic vortex south. Thermodynamics teach us that entropy mandates heat transfer from warm to cold, i.e. my fingers on the camera today. Alabama and the Gulp produce an anti-entropic low pressure area of rising heated air, thereby enforcing the third law of Thermodynamics (or maybe the first, I dunno) where dense cold arctic air is sucked southward to fill the imbalanced low air pressure created by the warm Gulp waters. Thank you. By Thursday, Minnesota will be basking in Alabama temps while you will be slightly cool in your flip flops and shorts. The contribution of Alabama to the winter survival of life as we know it up north is greatly appreciated.

And we eat a lot of cheese!
I don't give two flying flips why it's gonna be cold. I am NOT a self-sacrificing sort.

But you're welcome.
01-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #2683
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Correction: Alafrozenbama!!!
Science trick for those dropping to around -40 tonight: Take a cup of boiling hot water outside and throw it in the air! Instant snow!! Totally cool!! works with coffee too, but why waste it! Don't use cold water unless you want to be wet.
How about instant...yellow snow.

p.s. folks back home were/are complaining. They had a Black Christmas, above freezing and rain. Something to do with golf-stream.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #2684
Site Supporter

Should we add "golf" to the tags for this thread?
01-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #2685
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
How about instant...yellow snow.

At those temps no so good if you value the equipment.