Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #26911
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Girly or not that is a great shot Jim.

You caught him red pawed.
Thanks Racer! Squirrels are never happy with my shots....they constantly complain about the shots, the feed, the weather, and everything but the beer! They never complain about the beer as long as it doesn't run out!

05-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #26912
Loyal Site Supporter

Lest we forget.....

I always wonder about this one...there is a new flag on it several times a year...someone still grieves.

My Great Great Grandpa

We live in the moment...but all the moments have not been happy ones.
05-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #26913
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is what is sad. Every one of them was loved in a family. The saddest sight of that type I remember was the dining room of an old farmhouse near Downtown, SA, which had a line of pictures of diggers, and beside most of them a certificate signed by the king, thanking for their life. I was shown by their sister whom I had never met before, or since. I saw this in 1985, 70 years after the war.
05-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #26914
Loyal Site Supporter

Millions of sad stories. My Dad was a WWII veteran of the Battle of the Bulge and a battle tested 22year old Captain during that battle. I can still see the tears as he told of the young men that fell in that horrific battle.The horrors of war never end for the families of the dead...and not for the survivors either.

My Dads best childhood friend was a bomber pilot in WWII and went missing when his plane went down in India in 1944. He was an only son and his family grieved for all their lives. A few years ago before my Dad died he got a notice from the Pentagon that his friends remains had been found. Some kids playing saw something shiny high up in the trees. Turned out to be Raymonds dog tags. The recovered several remains at the crash site. I have read that there are tens of thousands still missing from WWII......most of the families are dead now, but you know how they suffered the not knowing.

The heartaches of war are never ending......millions of so very sad stories. We can only remember and honor those that gave it all or put their life on the line. It's not enough, but it is better than not remembering. No Sally.....it's not National Hot Dog Day.

Regards!

05-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #26915
Loyal Site Supporter

Dead for 14 hours? You guys either found another lewdfish on the beach or I offended Sally...?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
No Sally.....it's not National Hot Dog Day.
Eat up Sally! The real National Hot Dog Day is just around the corner on July the 4th! ....and no, Lincoln's address was not made at the Ford Motor Company!
05-31-2016, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #26916
Site Supporter

Dead for 14 hours? You guys either found another lewdfish on the beach or I offended Sally...?

Eat up Sally! The real National Hot Dog Day is just around the corner on July the 4th! ....and no, Lincoln's address was not made at the Ford Motor Company!
Summer has arrived! It's 27C outside, it's 9:30pm and the sun is still up. No time to be inside!

See you when summer is over. Probably in two or three days' time, but that's quite good for these parts

05-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #26917
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No time to be inside!
Oh yes it is...here at least! I am sitting at my desk buck naked........my story is here......you know, naked doesn't feel half bad!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/296039-forum-shots-t...ml#post3662513
05-31-2016, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #26918
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh yes it is...here at least! I am sitting at my desk buck naked....
I finally get some slack time to check the forum and now, instead of reading the forum, I have to use the time trying to poke out my mind's eye.

05-31-2016, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #26919
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
See you when summer is over. Probably in two or three days' time, but that's quite good for these parts
That`s pretty optimistic. We have the old saying that "summer in Finland is nice, if it does not rain that day"
05-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #26920
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I finally get some slack time to check the forum and now, instead of reading the forum, I have to use the time trying to poke out my mind's eye.
I walked past the full body mirror in the bedroom and now I have an even worse problem than you. I never look there even half naked...and now I know, with good reason.
05-31-2016, 11:57 PM   #26921
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That`s pretty optimistic. We have the old saying that "summer in Finland is nice, if it does not rain that day"
I know. This looks to be a once in a century summer. It might be that we get 3(!) days above 25C.

Trying to get over the shock...
06-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #26922
Loyal Site Supporter

For the start of June it is unusually cool here...and soaking wet. There are floods all across the county...and the state. More is coming the next three or four days. More rain than I have ever seen.

Jim......That little river where you camped at Glen Rose looks like the mighty Mississippi today. You can sit on the bridges and dangle your feet in the swift current.

On a sad note, over in Horseshoe Bend which is now a flood zone and under water.....a 10 year old boy drowned yesterday while fishing. The currents are fast and deep. It reminded me of when I was about that age and nearly drowned myself. Young kids with little experience at such situations take chances, they just do. Sometimes it ends in tragedy.

Crummy shot, pushing all the limits in the middle of a storm...but you get the idea......Protect your love ones!

Regards!
06-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #26923
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim......That little river where you camped at Glen Rose looks like the mighty Mississippi today. You can sit on the bridges and dangle your feet in the swift current.
Wow. When we were there we could have walked across it in places in ankle-deep water.
06-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #26924
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Wow. When we were there we could have walked across it in places in ankle-deep water.
A few people are brave...or stupid...enough that they are getting on tubes 8 miles upstream from town and riding all the way into and past town. Pretty risky stuff. A few years ago in a lesser flood I was there on the bridge near town when a guy got trapped in brush under the bridge. They barely got him out in time.

The little boy drowning really troubled me. I recall the excitement of fishing and water and the lack of fear. So horrible to be taken so young. I had several very close calls as a kid......very adventurous and no fear. We used to get in the storm drains in N Dallas and go for miles underground crawdaddy hunting. Once when about a mile from the nearest exit it came a heavy downpour and by the time we backtracked we were up to our eyeballs in fast moving water. If we had missed the exit point it would have been all over. You do learn fear.........

Regards!
06-01-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #26925
Site Supporter

I knew my wife would like your dove photo Rupert, so I sent it to her at work saying:
"the old funny guy from Texas on the Pentax forum got this shot of a male dove protecting his mate in a rain storm."

Her reply:
"Wow, great picture!"

I agree!

Didn't tell her you were nekked when you took it, didn't want to spoil it for her.