Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #27061
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
All while enjoying the flood of radiation from that glowing fusion reactor in the sky!

That fusion reactor left me with a nice red glow.

Now that the first sunburn if the season is done, time to get the barbecue ready to go.

06-06-2016, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #27062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That fusion reactor left me with a nice red glow.

Now that the first sunburn if the season is done, time to get the barbecue ready to go.
Our barbecue runs all year 'round... Kind of a toss-up, whether it's more challenging to grill in 40F & rain (here), or -10F and a snowstorm (Omaha). Although... At least when it's just rain, the back patio glacier hasn't locked the grill's wheels in place and you can move it the recommended safe distance from the wall.

Jim
06-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #27063
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That reactor does me damage quite often. Only twice it has burned me to blisters, which is not nice. It hurts.
06-06-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #27064
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That reactor does me damage quite often. Only twice it has burned me to blisters, which is not nice. It hurts.
It's that extra hour of sunlight during Daylight Savings that does so much harm. Politicians!

06-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #27065
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

If these guys show up around here, all of you know what to do.

06-06-2016, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #27066
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If these guys show up around here, all of you know what to do.

Yeah, give them Bert's so they'll leave ours alone.
06-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #27067
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...the back patio glacier...

Jim
What the? You'll have to explain!

06-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #27068
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What the? You'll have to explain!
Patio on our house in Nebraska faced north. With a 6- ft wood privacy fence around the yard, the winter snows could really pile up into some good drifts. The umm, "brisk" north winds we got certainly helped that! No direct sun at all, so those drifts lasted till it got above freezing for long enough. After a while, the snow did what snow does and turned into solid ice at the base. Technically it wasn't a glacier, since I'm pretty sure there was no flow, but t it ought to at least count as an icecap!😉
06-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #27069
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So you had a permanent ice block on your patio!
06-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #27070
Veteran Member

Technically it wasn't a glacier, since I'm pretty sure there was no flow, but t it ought to at least count as an icecap!😉
I bet there are plenty of ice caps here in the winter.......we are stopped in Laramie Wyoming for the night. Went through upper NMexico and all of Colorado today. Some nice scenery!

Left out Sat morning...almost turned back east of Van Horn near ElPaso. A big truck about a dozen car lengths ahead of us blew a tire and it went air born and landed in front of the TT...no way to miss it...doing about 75mph.....tore the under cowling out and damaged the lower grill and a lower side panel. We spent an hour trying to get the under cowling off so it wouldn't drag the ground.....Mrs Rupert did all she could and I finally got under and twisted most of it off...in doing so also twisted my knee...

Limped into Van Horn and a nice young guy at a truck tire shop tied up the rest of the cowling........it still runs great and everything works perfectly. The damage is not highly noticeable except for the rubber marks on the right lower body trim.

So...we decided to go on........and here we are in Laramie. Not in a rush...we have plenty of time to get to Oregon. Took a few shots today at the Garden of the Gods in Col Springs...got a story there from long ago ago...but not for typing on this tiny Nextbook.

Got lost leaving there and ended up in Pikes Peak village...or whatever the hell it was? A neat looking resort town full of pot smokers...the streets were full of hippies...I swear it looked like the 60s. About a mile or so of all kinds of resort/tourist stores. Smoke was in the air....thick! Mrs Rupert was not happy about being in that area.......

Hard to type on this tiny Nextbook.....and I have two broken feet and now a twisted right knee....... More later...maybe?

Regards!
06-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #27071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I swear it looked like the 60s
This sounds a bit like the Japanese soldiers who didn't know the war was over.
Being isolated, the hippies/pot smokers haven't heard that the world has moved on!
(At least they missed the mullet era.)
06-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #27072
Veteran Member

Sounds like fun Rupert!
06-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #27073
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Nope...we say plenty of those there too...it was like the Twilight Zone. The guy that gave us directions out of there was working at a little gas station....nice guy....had a mullet and was smoking a joint....no kidding! Should have taken some more pictures but just wanted to get back to the interstate.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Sounds like fun Rupert!
It's not bad so far Bert.......kind of tough traveling for an old guy with two bad feet...and a twisted knee. Sure is swell that Mrs Rupert carries in all the baggage for me......I always hate that part anyhow.

Tomorrow should bring some nice views. I'm trying to enjoy this, but am a little homesick. There is no place like home! Saw two squirrels today but was too sow to get a shot.

If Otis shows up here, remind him of his limitations...I can't be responsible for Otis when I'm out of State.

Regards!
06-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #27074
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
This sounds a bit like the Japanese soldiers who didn't know the war was over.
Being isolated, the hippies/pot smokers haven't heard that the world has moved on!
No, in Colorado it is a relatively new thing.

Since they legalized marijuana for recreational use the whole state has become a den of sin and iniquity.
06-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #27075
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Left out Sat morning...almost turned back east of Van Horn near ElPaso. A big truck about a dozen car lengths ahead of us blew a tire and it went air born and landed in front of the TT...no way to miss it...doing about 75mph.....tore the under cowling out and damaged the lower grill and a lower side panel. We spent an hour trying to get the under cowling off so it wouldn't drag the ground.....Mrs Rupert did all she could and I finally got under and twisted most of it off...in doing so also twisted my knee...

Limped into Van Horn and a nice young guy at a truck tire shop tied up the rest of the cowling........it still runs great and everything works perfectly. The damage is not highly noticeable except for the rubber marks on the right lower body trim.
Bummer Jim. Shows just how important it is to maintain awareness at all times, and stay as far as possible from big trucks.

Just look at the damage a tire failure caused to one of the trucks I used to drive:

Be careful, and have a safe trip!