Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #27181
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm still kickin'......been a busy few days. The graduation was fine...with some exception........you know, even old Rupert knows it rains in Oregon...a lot....so this big High School held their graduation outside on the football field. Nothing like sitting in the stands two hours during a rainstorm...I guarantee!

BTW-We stayed in Reno last night and the place we ate breakfast had some of the best country cut smoked bacon I have ever eaten. I'm almost certain it would have cured young Bert.
But does he want to be healed?

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 05:44 AM ----------

Racer, clams are so delicious....yours looked fantastic. I have some shots of the ones I ate at Newport....battered and fried.Really good clams always have a tiny bit of sandy grit........love it!

Home.....yep, there is no place like home, but this has been fun.....just way too much road time. Beautiful sights and lots of McDonalds......
But even in America one is not forced to eat at Maccas. The is In'n'out, wendys, five guys, carl's junior and and and and and . And if all else fails there is Blake's Lotaburger, where one does not need salad.

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Wait! Wait! Wait!
I go to sleep for the night and wake up in the morning - everyone thinks I'm a pig adn wants to make me into bacon!
It's not safe to sleep anymore
I never did say that.

But remember, the sun never sets on this thread.

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 05:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I knew I could help!
What is this? Has Racer become one of those guys who wears underpants on the outside?

06-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #27182

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What is this? Has Racer become one of those guys who wears underpants on the outside?

Racer goes Commando.
06-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #27183
Site Supporter

Racer goes Commando.
TMI, Racer, definitely TMI.
06-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #27184
Site Supporter

I'm back!
Phew!

That was a scary 15 minutes!
Welcome back.

Or "oink oink" if that's easier to understand.

Umm...

That said, whatever genius thought up that onomatopoeia? As if any pig ever made a sound sounding even remotely like "oink"...

06-13-2016, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #27185
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Several years ago my company's first EDM (electronic measuring meter) was a Topcon unit that mounted on top of a theodolite (fancy transit)
We were in hog heaven not having to use a steel tape and plumb bobs for measurements.

It took skill and practice to "plumb up" over a survey mark.
I was operating the transit when our crew chief asked the new guy if he was close in plumbing up over a mark.
The fellow said yes, pretty close, maybe within a couple of hundredths (of a foot)
The crew chief said Well, if a couple of hundredths were taken off the end of your Johnson it would seem like a lot wouldn't it?
It's taken me a while but I found your survey related post interesting. And had to do a metric conversion. A couple of hundredths of a foot is 6mm! Except if it's a Cape Foot, in which case it's 6.3mm.

In South Africa, boundary markers used to be 12mm steel rod. Here, boundary markers are 50x50mm plastic pegs or 100x50 (4x2") wood pegs. So, we seem to take less interest in getting the exact location here. In theory, the boundary is meant to be the centre of the peg. Then we have defined survey marks which are given a rating "order" as to their accuracy. When we first came here I was surprised to find that NZ uses a mainly Bearing and Distance system while South Africa had long moved away from Bearings and Distances and gone to a Coordinate based system. But then a senior Surveyor explained to me that, because we're on the edge of the tectonic plates, New Zealand moves so much that a complete coordinate based system would not make much sense. When we had the Christchurch earthquakes that really moved things about. In some cases, boundaries have moved up to 1.5m. So, we do use coordinates, but higher importance is placed with regard to Bearings and Distances.
06-13-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #27186
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Mark, interesting stuff, to me at least.

In the late 60's ? I had a copy of the Whole Earth Catalog.
In it was something like: Surveying, man's way of p*ssing on his property lines to mark his territory.
06-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #27187
Site Supporter

Do you guys have a mainly coordinate or mainly bearings and distances based system?
06-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #27188

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's taken me a while but I found your survey related post interesting. And had to do a metric conversion. A couple of hundredths of a foot is 6mm! Except if it's a Cape Foot, in which case it's 6.3mm.

In South Africa, boundary markers used to be 12mm steel rod. Here, boundary markers are 50x50mm plastic pegs or 100x50 (4x2") wood pegs. So, we seem to take less interest in getting the exact location here. In theory, the boundary is meant to be the centre of the peg. Then we have defined survey marks which are given a rating "order" as to their accuracy. When we first came here I was surprised to find that NZ uses a mainly Bearing and Distance system while South Africa had long moved away from Bearings and Distances and gone to a Coordinate based system. But then a senior Surveyor explained to me that, because we're on the edge of the tectonic plates, New Zealand moves so much that a complete coordinate based system would not make much sense. When we had the Christchurch earthquakes that really moved things about. In some cases, boundaries have moved up to 1.5m. So, we do use coordinates, but higher importance is placed with regard to Bearings and Distances.
When I worked in civil engineering back in the 70's we designed to the nearest tenth of a foot.

06-13-2016, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #27189

In the late 60's ? I had a copy of the Whole Earth Catalog.
Me too.

Well, in the 70's.

It was like having the internet, long before the internet was even a twinkle in Al Gore's eye.
06-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #27190
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Do you guys have a mainly coordinate or mainly bearings and distances based system?
Our survey records are mostly all bearings and distances.
for example: North 27 degrees 20 minutes 30 seconds West a distance of 212 feet to a point, thence......
We do have coordinate systems too, and this explains them better than I can: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System
06-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #27191
Site Supporter

Our survey records are mostly all bearings and distances.
for example: North 27 degrees 20 minutes 30 seconds West a distance of 212 feet to a point, thence......
We do have coordinate systems too, and this explains them better than I can: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System
Aha. Thanks It seems more complex than our system, having all those different coordinate systems. We used to have use WGS84 but now it seems NZGD2000 is the prefered system.
06-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #27192
Site Supporter

When I worked in civil engineering back in the 70's we designed to the nearest tenth of a foot.
Good thing that's only for Civil Engineering. A tenth of a foot is quite a bit to lop off!
06-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #27193
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know much about surveying, but GPS on Mrs Rupert's phone and that Cortana girl has been a lifesaver on this trip.

We are a couple of hours west of Denver on I-70 at a new Wyndam hotel, shut down for the night. We've driven about 1600 miles since Sat.......I could do more but am not in a big hurry....sights are beautiful coming back this way.

Had some worry about the TT.....the temp light came on but it was only a low fluid reminder....I had left the lid on too loose apparently? All good today.

Doin pretty good for an old guy......my hiney bones are sore, but the rest of me is fine. Our next trip is going to be a train adventure in the Fall...if we can figure it all out. Trains and schedules seem complicated? Anyone have any train trip experience?

Damn mouse....works then stops......heard from my neighbor today...strange truck at my place..went over with his shotgun...just my yard man. Otis had bribed him to cut down some trees that were spoiling his view from the Otis Penthouse.

Looks like you guys figured out Bert is no pig....just a pig hater? Doesn't make sense to me......saving pigs you hate???

Regards!
06-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #27194
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like you guys figured out Bert is no pig....just a pig hater? Doesn't make sense to me......saving pigs you hate???
I love pork chops and other pig, just not ham and bacon!
06-13-2016, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #27195
Loyal Site Supporter

I love pork chops and other pig, just not ham and bacon!
Yeah, we've heard that before.......still makes...... not a lick of sense?

That's like " I like girls but not their best parts." Kinda hard to understand......even Otis, as smart as he is would have trouble with that.

I could understand if you didn't like hog head ......heck, Idon't even like Mrs Ruperts head sometimes when her mouth is yapping.....but the other parts....they are just fine!

Regards!