Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #27196
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good thing that's only for Civil Engineering. A tenth of a foot is quite a bit to lop off!
Hardly noticeable...

06-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #27197
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hardly noticeable...

06-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #27198

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good thing that's only for Civil Engineering. A tenth of a foot is quite a bit to lop off!

A tenth of a foot is a tiny bit more than one inch.

When you are dealing with tens of thousands of feet, that really isn't much.
06-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #27199

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Our next trip is going to be a train adventure in the Fall...if we can figure it all out. Trains and schedules seem complicated? Anyone have any train trip experience?

I took Amtrak from Seattle to Modesto a few years ago, then the return trip a week later. Since it is expensive to get a private room I only bought a seat.

The daytime portion of the trip was great, but after dark it sucks. Nothing to do.

Trains are like buses, only bigger, and they serve food. The bathrooms were not clean enough for my standards either.

The trip down had a 3 hour layover in Sacramento. There is nothing near the station in Sacramento, and I napped on a bench in the station. Even though the trip started out at daybreak, it was the next morning when I reached Modesto. I was headed for Oakdale, about 15 miles East of Modesto, so I had to hire a cab.

The return trip was essentially the reverse of the trip down. The Modesto to Sacramento leg was late in the day, then a 3 or 4 hour wait in Sacramento, sleeping on the bench again. We boarded the Seattle bound train at something like 3am, and long before Tacoma it was dark.

Traveling by train is interesting, you see the country from a perspective like no other.

But the stations are isolated, the services far away. So layovers can be a pain, nowhere to rest or eat. Unless you like eating stale crap from a vending machine.

06-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #27200
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hardly noticeable...
Some days you could lop of both my feet and it would be an improvement in comfort.....but I'd still want to keep them! Feet are pretty damn important!

Off to the road races again this morning.......The Interstates are great, but with all the construction and those big trucks it is stressful. Thank goodness I have Mrs Rupert as navigator and driving instructor!

We went through miles of curvy tight deep canyons yesterday coming into the place we are at now. Had this big US Mail truck that was on my butt most of the way.....I call them "hiney humpers". The idiot driver tried to match my speed even in the tight curves, putting everyone in danger and almost wiping out a few cars at times as he took 40mph curves at 60 mph.The roads are dangerous places.

It's not just trucks....the roads are full of hiney humpers......they have two open lanes but want to ride on your rear bumper.

Looking forward to getting home...and a mouse that is not schizophrenic.

You guys have fun and continue the important work that is done in this thread. Most here at PF don't realize we're even here keeping the sanity and protecting all of mankind from those that would eliminate bacon from our lives. Infiltrators may come...and go.....trying to tarnish the important place of bacon in our lives...but we prevail and will never succumb! Long live bacon...and Velveeta! Not lutefish....they are born dead.

Regards1
06-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #27201
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We are a couple of hours west of Denver on I-70
Then you should pass through the Eisenhower Tunnel this morning.
My claustrophobia kicks in big time driving through long tunnels, I let my wife drive if I know one is coming up
The ET jumped up on me a few years ago traveling east on I-70, I made it through okay, but a little weak in the knees.
No problem if I'm not behind the wheel.

On the other hand, Lake Pontchartrain is wide open, almost too wide open for me to enjoy the view.
06-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #27202
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But the stations are isolated, the services far away. So layovers can be a pain, nowhere to rest or eat. Unless you like eating stale crap from a vending machine.
Yes....I have heard such things too. Very discouraging. It could be a great travel resource but in America we have not developed acceptable rail travel. At least you can always jump off a train .....as it crawls along an 10mph......unlike a flying cattle car at 35,000 feet.

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
On the other hand, Lake Pontchartrain is wide open, almost too wide open for me to enjoy the view.
We went through a couple of tunnels yesterday.......not a problem....as a plumber that worked under houses for years tight places don't bother me.

You don't ever want to sign up for submarine service!

I love Lake Pontchartrain.....been there a few times...long ago.It's a long road!

Regards!
06-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #27203
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took Amtrak from Seattle to Modesto a few years ago, then the return trip a week later. Since it is expensive to get a private room I only bought a seat.

The daytime portion of the trip was great, but after dark it sucks. Nothing to do.

Trains are like buses, only bigger, and they serve food. The bathrooms were not clean enough for my standards either.

The trip down had a 3 hour layover in Sacramento. There is nothing near the station in Sacramento, and I napped on a bench in the station. Even though the trip started out at daybreak, it was the next morning when I reached Modesto. I was headed for Oakdale, about 15 miles East of Modesto, so I had to hire a cab.

The return trip was essentially the reverse of the trip down. The Modesto to Sacramento leg was late in the day, then a 3 or 4 hour wait in Sacramento, sleeping on the bench again. We boarded the Seattle bound train at something like 3am, and long before Tacoma it was dark.

Traveling by train is interesting, you see the country from a perspective like no other.

Quite a while since I took a long distance train. My longest memory was the 24 hour trip from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. We had a good group of friends together, so it was fun.

---------- Post added 06-15-16 at 04:50 AM ----------

This evening driving home from work I saw some lad flying his B-52 around. First time I saw one of them. Pretty low, but a few miles ahead.

06-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #27204

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
This evening driving home from work I saw some lad flying his B-52 around. First time I saw one of them. Pretty low, but a few miles ahead.

One of these?

06-14-2016, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #27205
Site Supporter

One of these?

Yes. One of them. No bits fell out though, which was a good thing.
06-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #27206

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Yes. One of them. No bits fell out though, which was a good thing.
If it was one of those there was more than just a lad flying it, I think it takes a crew of 4 or 5, since the elimination of the tail gunner.
06-14-2016, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #27207
Pentaxian

since the elimination of the tail gunner
Mafioso get him?
06-15-2016, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #27208
Loyal Site Supporter

One of these?

Could have been one of these ...

06-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #27209
Loyal Site Supporter

Disturbing trend, @Robtcorl, for BBQ food without any actual meat. Can I write to my local politician to complain?

06-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #27210
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Can I write to my local politician to complain?
surely

Looks like a melty slice of Velveeta on top of that pulled pork?