Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #27361
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Or have a nice igunaq and Velveeta sandwich, washed down lukewarm Bud Light.
You'll feel a lot better.
Uuugghg. Bud Light. I'm going to need therapy.

06-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #27362
Pentaxian

That sounds really good.
I love cucumber.
I eat cucumber sammiches all summer long.
Just adjust the Lemon/Cucumber to Mint ratio to taste. So refreshing.
06-23-2016, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #27363
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of chamber pots. When I was a kid, (1970's) my grandmother rented an old Victorian row house in Port Elizabeth. This house had not been modernised at all. It still had a coal range in the Kitchen and no bathroom. A bath was taken as in Victorian times by means of heating water on the stove and filling a galvanised tub hauled out for the event to the middle of the Kitchen floor. The toilet was an outhouse at the back of the garden. That at least had been modernised somewhat in that it was a proper toilet attached to town sewerage, and not the original type with a bucket emptied by the "night soil men".

In the house, there was a commode, which was a wooden chair shaped affair for a chamberpot with the intent being that you could use this "facility" and not have to venture to the back of the garden, in the middle of the night.
06-23-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #27364
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Outhouses, or privies, can hold a wealth of history.
Recent local article:

Since digging began in earnest this week on the first lot, they’ve bagged all kinds of bottles, dolls, dishes, cups, marbles, animal bones, hygiene products and other odds and ends such as a silver ring and gold tooth.

The artifacts were pulled from old privies and cisterns that are often filled with clues. “It would be a great travesty if the building went in and nobody ever documented these things,” said Harl, principal investigator for the project. “History is written on major events. It doesn’t tell you what people’s day-to-day lives were like.”

Archaeologists dig through privies for cultural clues at future NGA site in St. Louis | Metro | stltoday.com

06-24-2016, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #27365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I was a teen and in my 20's I slept 8 to 10 hours every night.

Now, as I close in on 60 I sleep 5 to 6 hours.

No naps.

And I don't get up to pee either.

Of course I don't toss back a glass of wine just before bed either.
I heard that ...
06-24-2016, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #27366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sorry Mark, I'm confused, just what seems to be the problem?
Drink some shoe polish and call me in the morning.
I heard that, too ...
06-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #27367
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Beautiful jay, Rupert, but he seems a little pensive. Maybe Otis and his friends haven't been sharing the nuts. Baaaad squirrels!
Squirrels are not much more than tiny hogs. Sharing is not a concept they recognize.

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
You should try the cucumber, lemon, mint water. Slice cucumbers and 4-5 lemons thinly and put them in a pitcher of water and add mint leaves. I made a batch today. The pitcher should be at least half full of the lemon and cucumber slices. Put it in the fridge. It's really good.
That does sound good, but I am way too lazy for that recipe. Even though limes and lemons are dirt cheap at Aldis, I make my lemon/lime water with concentrate from a bottle. I may try that recipe if I get a burst of energy...which isn't likely.

For the past three days I've had my helper working on my roof. Yesterday I had to get up there, twisted knee and all, to inspect his work. He tied a rope around my waist and held it tight as I walked around. It looked stupid, but I did feel a little safer.

My Mom's parents had an outhouse too. Took baths in a metal tub brought into the house for that purpose. I learned from my Mom to squat over the outhouse holes on my feet so as not to let my hiney touch the seating. They were proud people, hard workers, but dirt poor. Little did they realize that rocky land would someday spew out millions in natural gas. There are so many ironies in life....None in her family were worse off for being raised in a poor family.......none are genuinely better off from all that natural gas. There is a lesson there, no amount of money can buy happiness or success. No one understands that better than my Mom....but I'm pretty close.

06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #27368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Speaking of chamber pots. When I was a kid, (1970's) my grandmother rented an old Victorian row house in Port Elizabeth.

In the house, there was a commode, which was a wooden chair shaped affair for a chamberpot with the intent being that you could use this "facility" and not have to venture to the back of the garden, in the middle of the night.
I have a wicker chair on my front porch, one of a set, that either was made that way or was modified for a 'chamber pot'.
In Arkansas in the mid 60's my aunt and uncle still had the 2 seater out house. They had no indoor toilet. When grandma's pipes froze one winter while we were visiting, we got to experience the bath in the round galvanized metal tub in the middle of kitchen floor. Lol, stuff you will never forget. The house I have now had a bathroom put in yrs after it was built. This house reminds me of how things were done without all the conveniences we have now. Except for bathrooms and gas connection, It has been altered little since it was built.
06-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #27369
Veteran Member

If you work outside around construction, then you get your BMs regulated for going at home.
Those Johnny on the Spots are BRUTAL in winter and summer.

06-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #27370
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
no amount of money can buy happiness
No, but yo0u can rent it.
06-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #27371
Veteran Member

No, but yo0u can rent it.
I'd like to rent some new feet, ankles, and right knee.......can I find them in the Yellow Pages? I'd love to but I'm mighty glad just to be walking, however poor it is at times.

My bigger concern is the well being of the little pepper babies? They are doing great...right?

You know, I have always suspected Otis of being a tree hugger. I guess I am more intuitive than I realized!

Even at ISO 6400 and cropping a Crop Mode shot 50% the K1 does pretty damn good! I should be out somewhere shooting with it today, but I'm not...for no good reason.

Regards!
06-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #27372
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

All are growing. The first ones I opened are now about 8" tall. No sign off peppers yet though.
06-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #27373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Outhouses, or privies, can hold a wealth of history.
Recent local article:

Since digging began in earnest this week on the first lot, they’ve bagged all kinds of bottles, dolls, dishes, cups, marbles, animal bones, hygiene products and other odds and ends such as a silver ring and gold tooth.
Ouch - that must have hurt!
06-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #27374
Veteran Member

All are growing. The first ones I opened are now about 8" tall. No sign off peppers yet though.
Good news! Give them time....Otis says they haven't reached puberty yet. When they hit their teen weeks in age they will produce peppers like crazy! ...anyhow, that's how he says it is with squirrels.

Sort of a weird day here for me....a Zombie day, where I could never get oriented to get busy on things I need to be busy with. I was in a sort of a laid back fog......anyone else ever have days like that?

Regards!
06-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #27375
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Sort of a weird day here for me....a Zombie day, where I could never get oriented to get busy on things I need to be busy with. I was in a sort of a laid back fog......anyone else ever have days like that?
Only days that end in y. (Or, in deference to our resident pseudo-frog, days that end in i, or che.)
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »