Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #27781
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
"No Ketchup pump-Just say no to Burger King".
Texans have some serious priorities that's for sure.

I don't know why I stopped dipping my fries in the red stuff several years ago, but started again recently, and now I can't eat one without it.
My big brother eats it on everything, pretty sure he's tried catsup on ketchup.

The Brooks catsup water tower, along with a warehouse, was for sale a couple of years ago for a mere 500K.

"The original plant opened in 1891 as the Collinsville Canning and Packing Co.
The Brooks brothers, Everett and Elgin, took it over in 1907 and operated it as the Triumph Catsup and Pickle Co.
Nazi prisoners of war worked picking tomatoes for the plant during World War II. The fragrant aroma of pureed tomatoes once wafted over the city.
The 100,000-gallon, bottle-shaped water tower was built in 1949 to supply water pressure to the catsup plant’s fire sprinkler system."

07-10-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #27782
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Umm... Wouldn't that be pocket tennis?

When driving at speeds 2 or 3 times the national speed limit you keep your hands on the wheel, not in your pockets.
07-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #27783
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer my tomatoes raw and whole, sliced on a sammich, chopped or diced in salad, or stewed and incorporated into a cooked entrée.

Mashed and mushed then mixed with vinegar and sugar isn't how they were meant to be eaten. Ketchup/catsup is not a vegetable. Blech!

I am a ketchup/catsup disliker.
07-10-2016, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #27784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I prefer my tomatoes raw and whole, sliced on a sammich, chopped or diced in salad, or stewed and incorporated into a cooked entrée.
Or the very best way, IMO, is straight from the garden, covered with morning dew to help a shake of salt adhere.

07-10-2016, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #27785
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Or the very best way, IMO, is straight from the garden, covered with morning dew to help a shake of salt adhere.
Absolutely.
I can't remember the last time I had a tomato from a grocery store or in a restaurant that didn't have the texture of an apple and the flavor of a glass of water.
07-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #27786
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So what's the difference?
What's the Difference Between Ketchup and Catsup? | Mental Floss

What is your preference?....... and if it is political please explain how we could manage to get politics into this wonderful sauce?

One of the great things about Mc Donalds...those little Ketchup/Catsup pumps that let you pump out all the wonderful magic sauce you want into as many of those little tiny cups as you can fill. They are so popular that Wendys and Burger King have been forced to add them in most of their stores too.

Several years ago we had a peaceful demonstration here that lasted almost two weeks in front of Burger King...which is next door to McDonalds. A dozen or more people took turns carrying signs that said "No Ketchup pump-Just say no to Burger King"...other signs said "McDonalds has the pump...Go there!"

The pump arrived before the demonstration was two weeks old!

It's as basic as Velveeta!

Regards!
Here only some Maccas have sauce pumps. And in Australia either none or only very few.

Probably something to do with getting sued for food contamination.

---------- Post added 07-11-16 at 05:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely.
I can't remember the last time I had a tomato from a grocery store or in a restaurant that didn't have the texture of an apple and the flavor of a glass of water.
Well put for a lot of commercial tomatoes.

Thankfully there are more gourmets in Europe and UK so the flavour and texture of produce seems more important than size and shelf life.

Oe of the hardest products to buy here with a good useby date is milk. I Australia it gets on the supermarket shelf with about 10 days to go, and is always turned over fresh each day. In England they seem to keep it in the back room for a week so it only has about 4 days to go when it is put on the shelf for sale. And it is exceptionally rare to see a date longer than 4-5 days.

Last edited by tim60; 07-10-2016 at 11:48 AM.
07-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #27787
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well dang. A 4 point buck and a spike just grazed by my front door, about 10 feet off of the porch. By the time I grabbed the camera they had made their way through the trees into the neighbor's place.

Note to self: Keep the camera handy, rather than wherever I last used it (it was still on the tripod upstairs where I had been shooting humming birds the other day).

07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #27788
Pentaxian

Today the afternoon TV has been fairly intersting.

First the Silverstone Gand Prix, from just up the road a bit from here.

Then Wimbledon men's final, won by Murray.

And now, just coming up the final of the Euro Cup soccer, France and Portugal. So now they have all the pundits talking about it before anything happens.

Some of the spectators spent almost everything to be there, they do not have shirts.

Reminds me of the evidence provided by the statues in Rome. Old Rome must have been very poor, most of the people in the statues could not afford clothes. Therefore pictures of the statues in Rome, which are left out in the street must be NSFW.

---------- Post added 07-11-16 at 05:30 AM ----------

Well dang. A 4 point buck and a spike just grazed by my front door, about 10 feet off of the porch. By the time I grabbed the camera they had made their way through the trees into the neighbor's place.

Note to self: Keep the camera handy, rather than wherever I last used it (it was still on the tripod upstairs where I had been shooting humming birds the other day).
Racer, that post seems to be off topic. It has something to do with causing images to be made.
07-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #27789
Pentaxian

Lying on the floor in Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for our flight home. Lots of sun, lots of good food, some fandamtastic scuba, and other assorted fun cruising around the western Caribbean ��

Good to report that I had several pages of unread posts to catch up on, y'all are keeping Tokyo safe very nicely!

Pics later...

Jim
07-10-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #27790
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am a ketchup/catsup disliker.
No ketchup? That's almost as un-American as no bacon.....I'm starting to worry about you Racer?

Lunch today ...all veggie including an Aldi veggie pattie...not half bad...not half good either. Blueberry smoothie and avocado for dessert.
Yep...that's Velveeta on top of those veggies...delicious!

Name:  DSCF0329-800.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  660.1 KB

Mrs Rupert hates a veggie meal, but I make her eat it or sit in the corner for 30 minutes with a dunce hat on.

Regards!

....I wouldn't kid you. Old Rupert rules with an iron rod around here!

Name:  DSCF0330-800.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  101.2 KB
07-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #27791
Pentaxian

Ronaldo is off. Nasty collision the did damage to his knee. He made a couple of attempts to get going and finally was carried away on the stretcher. Looked like a rough ride. The stretcher bearers should learn to walk in-step to stop the victim on the stretch getting all shook up. It simple: one of them needs to call "left - left - right - left" or over here "left - right - left - right". The Australian call assumes reasonable intelligence on the part of the subordinates and reduces the risk of flies in the time caller's mouth.
07-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #27792
Veteran Member

All veggie meal except for the cheese product that is.
The old plumbing backing up on ya?
07-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #27793
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
First the Silverstone Gand Prix, from just up the road a bit from here.

Watched it, while jumping between it and the IMSA race from Mosport Park in Canuckistan.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Racer, that post seems to be off topic. It has something to do with causing images to be made.

More like an expression of frustration at missing some real great opportunities.
07-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #27794
Pentaxian

Watched it, while jumping between it and the IMSA race from Mosport Park in Canuckistan.

More like an expression of frustration at missing some real great opportunities.

Friday night I went to the old school dinner and sat next to one of the engineers for the Manor team. Both their cars ended up stopping in the gravel as a result of sliding on the wet track. The second one, Haryanto, hit the wall of the other side of the gravel and sustained some damage. The other just seemed to get bogged in the gravel and that was race over. It rained a lot shortly before the race was scheduled to start so they had a safety car start. Weird, why not wait a little while and then have a normal race start.

The soccer is still going - nil all at 76 minutes.
07-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #27795
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely.
The "tomatoes on the vine" at Aldis are pretty damn good. Nothing beats home grown from seeds of old classic stock, but for store bought they are pretty fine.

Milk...Fresh at Aldis and give you at least a 10 day date. Last week....$1.29 a gallon.