Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #28111
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,757
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great! A friend of mine once, when his wife was away to her relatives, took the ranch slider out of the living room, put his 1930's Rolls Royce in the living room, to respray the car. He figured it was a good dust free environment to repaint the car. When he was done, he took the car back out and then redecorated the living room, new paint, carpet, etc. When his wife came home she was delighted to find both the Rolls restored and the living room redecorated. She never did find out that the living room was the spray booth.
These guys both had some of that Big Brain Thinking Otis is always talking about!

07-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #28112
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,880
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Was it over 100F like it is here...with 60% humidity? It is murder out there today.

Squirrels are taking it easy while waiting for the beer truck to arrive...


"What do you mean the beer truck had a flat tire and will be an hour late???"
No, not that extreme. Just much more sun than I have gotten accustomed to so it felt hot. And moving about working or walking outside was a bit hard.

Last year I went to a place where the temperature is often mid to high 30s with humidity about 85-90%. Weather I can do without.


---------- Post added 07-24-16 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some joker decided to try to evade the Police in our town and took a shortcut through the local gas station at speed.

Oh, and you can see our extortion type fuel prices - That's per litre. A US gallon is 3.78 litres. More than 55% of our fuel price is tax.
Quite a sight. Was the guy the size of a front row forward. Maybe they could give him a job as a prop and open for business.

It is obvious, you all should be buying diesel instead of petrol. Our price here is now around 115 pence per litre for both petrol and diesel.

Prices like that do encourage one to buy a car that goes a long way per litre. Mine can get as good as 53 mpg (note we buy in litres, drive miles and use in mpg, kind of goes against the rules we were all taught in school about mixing units) on a warmish day in smooth traffic at 50-60 mph.

---------- Post added 07-24-16 at 04:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Strangest thing I ever saw....well, along those lines. I saw a lot of strange things, like the woman with a real live bobcat that was mostly still wild.....or the other woman that had 20 something raccoons living inside with her. Then there were the pigs that lived in a guest room...real pigs. You see a lot when you do service work.
(
Do you mean pigs that turn into bacon?

And the talk of tax on fuel. Long ago I thought it would be lovely to be a government. You can decide how much money you want and tell everyone how much to pay and when. Everyone else in the economy has to make or do something attractive enough to other people that they will choose, in the competition of all the other things and services offered, to spend their money on what you are offering. And given this, when a government decides they want money, they come up with a formula for working out how much tax they charge under each possible name, so if they did not charge it for fuel they would charge it for something else.

Last edited by tim60; 07-23-2016 at 10:44 PM.
07-24-2016, 03:01 AM   #28113
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,205
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Quite a sight. Was the guy the size of a front row forward. Maybe they could give him a job as a prop and open for business.

It is obvious, you all should be buying diesel instead of petrol. Our price here is now around 115 pence per litre for both petrol and diesel.

Prices like that do encourage one to buy a car that goes a long way per litre. Mine can get as good as 53 mpg (note we buy in litres, drive miles and use in mpg, kind of goes against the rules we were all taught in school about mixing units) on a warmish day in smooth traffic at 50-60 mph.
He was in a Ford Territory. Car looks fine. The post was bolted to the concrete forecourt with four small bolts. He came up the ramp into the forecourt so fast that he became airborne and cleared the bollard that was supposed to protect the steel post. The four bolts yanked right out of the concrete and the car ended on the far side of the forecourt without much damage at all. The whole canopy is going to have to come off. The three remaining posts are all bent.

If I drive nicely, I can get 6.5km/l. That's about 15 miles to the gallon. The joys of owning a Landrover!
07-24-2016, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #28114
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,205
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
These guys both had some of that Big Brain Thinking Otis is always talking about!
I'm not sure Otis ever thinks with the big head! (Brain).

07-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #28115
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,609
Here in the St Louis, MO area we have some of the nation's lowest gas prices due to fairly low taxes, and oil refineries right across the Mighty Mississippi.
Current lowest price is $1.78 per gallon.
As a kid, in the 50's, I remember it as low as 10 cents a gallon, maybe a little less during a gas war.
Mom would pull up to the pump in our '49 Chevy and tell the attendant to put in a dollars worth.
07-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #28116
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,826
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If I drive nicely, I can get 6.5km/l. That's about 15 miles to the gallon. The joys of owning a Landrover!


If I drive the Ram nicely, I can get 20mpg. Pulling the race trailer, loaded with the car, 4 sets of tires, spares, fuel and tools, as well as having the slide in camper on the truck with food, water, etc. I get 15 to 18.


The joys of a Cummins 24 valve.
07-24-2016, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #28117
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,826
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
As a kid, in the 50's, I remember it as low as 10 cents a gallon, maybe a little less during a gas war.
Mom would pull up to the pump in our '49 Chevy and tell the attendant to put in a dollars worth.


07-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #28118
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,880
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
He was in a Ford Territory. Car looks fine. The post was bolted to the concrete forecourt with four small bolts. He came up the ramp into the forecourt so fast that he became airborne and cleared the bollard that was supposed to protect the steel post. The four bolts yanked right out of the concrete and the car ended on the far side of the forecourt without much damage at all. The whole canopy is going to have to come off. The three remaining posts are all bent.

If I drive nicely, I can get 6.5km/l. That's about 15 miles to the gallon. The joys of owning a Landrover!
Mark, is the gentleman now staying in the government's all expenses paid resort? Or did they send him home to live at his own expense?

07-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #28119
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,205
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Mark, is the gentleman now staying in the government's all expenses paid resort? Or did they send him home to live at his own expense?
He was involved in some domestic disturbance at home and the Police was called. So, he decided to hightail it away. Not in his own car either, but in that of a family member. Cops came down the road noticed the car leave the house they were on their way to, lit up the flashing lights and he took off. Until that point, they had nothing on him, just "he said - she said" family stuff that would have got him a warning at most. But, he took off and chaos ensued. After the crash, he took off on foot and disappeared. Next day when in a more sane state of mind, he handed himself in at the cop shop.

So, now he's out on bail and facing charges of leaving the scene of an accident, failing to stop for police, speeding etc. On top of that, the canopy and bust up pump is going to cost at least $100,000 to replace and because he was not in his own car, there's likely going to be some insurance issues, depending on whether the person who's car he took presses charges or not.

Yes it's a town - and it's right across from my work, so this stuff is pretty common knowledge around here.
07-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #28120
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,205
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If I drive the Ram nicely, I can get 20mpg. Pulling the race trailer, loaded with the car, 4 sets of tires, spares, fuel and tools, as well as having the slide in camper on the truck with food, water, etc. I get 15 to 18.


The joys of a Cummins 24 valve.
That is pretty economical in my book!
07-24-2016, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #28121
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,107
In case anyone is wondering; I'm alive.
I'm in Hell, but I'm alive.
I'm in Kearney, NE, cleaning out a storage shed containing every piece of clothing, every nick-nack, every greeting card, every photo, every kitchen utensil my wife's parents ever owned during their nearly 60 years of marriage.
I should be home by tomorrow evening. (Assuming I live that long.)
07-24-2016, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #28122
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,609
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm in Hell, but I'm alive.
Just play this over and over and over......

07-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #28123
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,757
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
'm in Hell, but I'm alive.
I felt the pain on Thursday when we cleaned out three tool boxes on my work truck......10 years of parts, tools and a ton of odd and end junk. My helper hauled it all into my shop and I am still sorting it out and finding spots for what I will keep....two big bags of trash...so far. Still...I wouldn't trade places with you. Nightmare city!

Lots of stuff in those boxes...more than I ever realized.


Regards!....If you commit hari-kari, I will certainly understand.
07-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #28124
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,880
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Yes it's a town - and it's right across from my work, so this stuff is pretty common knowledge around here.
That is something nice about living in a small town - you get to find out the story behind incidents you have seen. Knowing eventually you will find out reduces the interest in being a spectator at the site. In a city it all gets hidden away.

When I worked at Barmera I was out one night and drove by a car in the irrigation channel, with all the services there working. Drove by. Next day the news had the story. And at the end of the next day the broken car turned up in the carpark of the flats I lived at. The man upstairs had been doing some inebriated driving and his most prized possession was bent and twisted. It stayed there under a tarp for months. It was a green Falcon panel van.

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 03:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I felt the pain on Thursday when we cleaned out three tool boxes on my work truck......10 years of parts, tools and a ton of odd and end junk. My helper hauled it all into my shop and I am still sorting it out and finding spots for what I will keep....two big bags of trash...so far. Still...I wouldn't trade places with you. Nightmare city!

Lots of stuff in those boxes...more than I ever realized.


Regards!....If you commit hari-kari, I will certainly understand.
Now your fuel consumption will improve. And you have space to put more stuff in.
07-24-2016, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #28125
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,826
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....If you commit hari-kari, I will certainly understand.


If he does, will you do him honor and be his Second?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top