Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 03:21 AM   #28891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Happy b'day Racer.
I tried to count the candles, but my ND8 melted.

(are you the one to blame for global warming?)
My mother-in-law had lots of candles one year (it might have been her 70th). All good until the icing (frosting in USofA) caught fire!

08-30-2016, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #28892
Veteran Member

In case you haven't seen this yet:

08-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #28893
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Had even longer hair then, but other than that pretty normal
I rode into a small town in mid Southwest Texas many years ago after a two week ride in Old Mexico. I was on a 650 twin BSA and I was pretty rough looking after two weeks on the dusty roads of Mexico. Stopped at a little small town cafe to get something to eat and cold to drink.

The place was full of "good ol' boys"...we refer to them as "goat ropers" and as I took off my helmet and looked around I could see that all eyes were on me. Never one to be intimidated I brushed back my long shoulder length hair and lit up a cigarette, propped my boots up on a chair as I waited for the waitress....expecting the insults any second. One of the more runty looking guys asked......looks like you need a haircut, boy?
Nope, what I need is a cold Lone Star beer. Where you from, boy? I'm born and raised in Texas and come from Ft Worth.......waitress showed up and the same guy said to her "bring him a cold Lone Star and put it on our bill...whatever he wants to eat, put it on there too."

I had a mighty fine Chicken Fried Steak ...they did pay my bill and I left the waitress ( a big ol' country gal) a $10 tip. The conversation was good...wanted to know all about my travels in Mexico...the senoritas in particular.

That is the Texas I knew in the late 60s, early 70s.There were few bike riders in those days and we were all looked at as hippies. I was no hippy, but a hippy with a good attitude would have received the same treatment. There was some "polarization" but for the biggest part it was nothing like what one might see today? It was a good time to be a Texan..to be an American...to travel free and safe.( But I did pack a .45 auto anyhow) If I had been caught with it in Mexico, I'd still be there rotting in one of their famous jails. Back then you had better have good manners in Mexico.....and I did!

Most places I have traveled have some good people, some not as outgoing as others, but still with good values and if you can strike up a conversation, we all seem to be about the same, with the same goals and the same needs. That is one of the best things about travel....you get to meet new and different people...and find out they are...just like you!

We stopped at this little joint on the coast of Louisiana for some seafood....best I have ever eaten...I asked for the owner, to praise our meal and tell him we will come back again someday and highly recommend others we know to stop there anytime they are withing 200 miles!
He was a proud friendly guy...the place had been in his family for decades and he took pride in all they did.

I snapped this photo of him as we left...

He snapped this one of me and Mrs Rupert..

Still have the handwritten ticket for a free meal next time he gave us...plan on using it this Fall!

Yep, travel can be wonderful...if Racer's truck doesn't sling off a tire in front of my little TT.

Regards....out of breath now, maybe I'll be quiet the rest of the day?

Try it! Cajun Restaurant & Cajun Products, Cajun Food & Grocery - Chicken On The Bayou & Boudin Shop - Henderson, La

They ain't kiddin'

08-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #28894
Pentaxian

happy belated birthday, Racer!

08-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #28895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I`ll have one of these after work this evening. A very fine European Lager that will keep me from falling for the hociR!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #28896
Veteran Member

What could be better than breakfast with bacon, Velveeta eggs...and another Rupert Type!

08-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #28897
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
A very fine European Lager that will keep me from falling for the hociR!
Speaking of falling and hociR:

Rachel Barnes' overnight shift was nearing its end Monday morning when she overheard workers talk about a little red car smashed by a chunk of concrete.
"I thought, 'Oh crap, that's mine,'" Barnes told the Post-Dispatch.
The 2012 Ford Focus she and her fiance bought last year was parked in the 500 block of Olive Street, near her work at Ricoh USA. Concrete toppled from the building and struck the front section of the car.

08-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #28898
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Rachel Barnes' overnight shift was nearing its end Monday morning when she overheard workers talk about a little red car smashed by a chunk of concrete.
The 2012 Ford Focus she and her fiance bought last year was parked in the 500 block of Olive Street, near her work at Ricoh USA. Concrete toppled from the building and struck the front section of the car.
Wow! That is sure nuff bad news! I can't let my little TT see this post, it is horrifying! Very fortunate no one was injured ....or worse.
08-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #28899
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Joyeux anniversaire !!!

Je vous remercie beaucoup, mon ami!

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Happy b'day Racer.

Thanks Rod!

I'm 420 in dog years. You can do the math.

No, Al Gore is.

My mother-in-law had lots of candles one year (it might have been her 70th). All good until the icing (frosting in USofA) caught fire!

Amazing what will burn when enough heat is applied.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
happy belated birthday, Racer!

Thanks Jim!
08-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #28900
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Speaking of falling and hociR:

Yikes! That's not something any car owner wants to see!
08-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #28901
Veteran Member

Nighty-nite people....Way too much Forum yesterday and today. My bum knee has kept me mostly confined for two days....I got stupid and thought it was all well....it wasn't. Time to go see the Doc this week....

Just when I find a pair of pull-on boots, that I can walk in without hurting my feet...for the first time since 1992.....my damn knee goes bad. It truly is "always something".

Name:  DSCF0397-800.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  622.6 KB
08-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #28902
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Night? It's 15h35 in the afternoon!
08-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #28903
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd like to go on a "slow food" vacation to Northern Italy. But while there are many places I would like to visit (or visit again), my "must see" list isn't very long. São Tomé & Princípe is definitely on that list, though. Even more so after I learnt that it's the 11th least visited country in the world. For instance North Korea had 27 times more visitors last year

No, North Korea is not on my list.

Too darned many tourists!

Went to Italy once, Rome. The food was good, and most of what I had was slow food styles in various types of establishments that try hard to be at least quite good. But I found their dealing with a request for effecting the payment that would allow one out the door to be unconscionably slow. A request for the bill would be followed by 20-30 minutes of waiting for the bill to arrive. Can anyone explain. Is it just they they wanted to give the impression that they are not in an indecent rush to get your money from you. Also, the large, american brand, hotel I stayed in for part of the visit was appalling to check out of. they had had a conference with about 1000 guests in the hotel and they allowed the queue to get to half hour wait, with staff who looked like every customer was the first they were learning with on every check out. Certainly not a place that allows one to do things in the room, check out and rush tot he airport just in time for check in. BTW: we were told that there is some quite low sounding, legal, limit on the accommodation cash payment hotels are allowed to accept. I think it was something like USD1000. Seems like it was a money laundering countermeasure.

General rule about restaurants: if they employ a waiter to look at the ceiling the restaurant will be over-priced. At least that is a clue you can see from outside.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This wire comes down from a utility pole close by. Looks like a pretty permanent "temporary" solution for... something. Maybe a means for lifting the wire as the tree grows?

Looks like the tree branch will soon be torniqueted into breaking off.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 02:31 PM ----------

Had even longer hair then, but other than that pretty normal, LOL. No flags.
I can't understand Americans. The flag is a symbol enacted by the government, so it is the government's flag. If the government want it flown they will fly it for themselves. Why do I need to?

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 02:33 PM ----------

Happy b'day Racer.

Rod, it is much safer to use real, sugar based, icing - and it tastes better. Remember for next time!

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 02:42 PM ----------

No, it is 45 minutes after the start of the morning shipping forecast.
08-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #28904
Veteran Member

That's in some far off world.....this here is Texas. Couldn't sleep...another glass of shoe polish should do the trick. Been a damn busy day. Posted several shots...a few half decent and one of Otis that...according to him...was A1 excellent. Answered a ton of quotes, replied to another ton of fine shots...better than mine.... and managed to avoid an all out war with another poster. (Thank you Mods!)

According to Otis the only worthy thing I accomplished this day....

Damn little devil!

Having to re-type almost every word......that shoe polish must be kickin in...I'll try beddy-bye again...

Regards!
08-31-2016, 02:33 AM   #28905
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very neat shot, Rupert!