Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #29206

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
. . . . . . and part herding cats.
Sounds like fun.

09-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #29207
Emperor and Senpai

Sometimes boring, sometimes exasperating, sometimes I screw off on the internet like now!
09-16-2016, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #29208
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What is their daily rate?
Daily rate at Toulouse ... depends if there's a by-the-glass or a by-the-bottle "promotion" going on at the cafeteria ...
09-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #29209
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Daily rate at Toulouse ... depends if there's a by-the-glass or a by-the-bottle "promotion" going on at the cafeteria ...

09-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #29210
Site Supporter

Sorry Mark, I didn't see your post.

Here:
Right now a completed airplane rolls out the front door every 2.5 days.
Soon that rate will slow to one very 3 days.
And there are rumors that is may slow to one every 5 days.

Still a blistering pace.

The 747 line is on something like a 30 day rate.
Glaciers move faster than that.
Even post office workers move faster.
{That felt as good the second time as it did the first!}
Now I get it! Does not sound like too many people are buying 747's anymore. What a shame. It's still my favourite airplane. Good to hear that the 737's are doing so well.

I have worked for myself for too long. Long forgotten what overtime is. I work until midnight or later many nights but the boss does not pay overtime!
09-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #29211
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Now I get it! Does not sound like too many people are buying 747's anymore. What a shame. It's still my favourite airplane. Good to hear that the 737's are doing so well.

I have worked for myself for too long. Long forgotten what overtime is. I work until midnight or later many nights but the boss does not pay overtime!
I worked for my parents electronics repair shop for 13 years... OT expected, compensation not so much. A great experience never the less.
09-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #29212

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Perhaps you should file a complaint with the labor relations board.
09-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #29213
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is their daily rate?
They just announced they were decreasing to 20 380s per year.

09-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #29214

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They just announced they were decreasing to 20 380s per year.
Doesn't surprise me. Sales of that Behemoth have not met forecasted expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see that plane discontinued before too long.
09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #29215
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The same media story said that it had got to breakeven last year with the current sales. Also, Singapore Airlines will soon be returning their oldest one, the first in service, to the lease owner of it, but they have 5, to replace the first 5, on order. That is because SQ like to brag about having a young fleet, and they let some other airline have the planes for the late life period when accumulated problems are likely to show up. The effect is that all their planes have quite a similar and current look and feel for passengers with only about one generation of entertainment system behind in the oldest. That is quite different to United. I was on one of their last 747 flights cross the Pacific. They had their last few 747 being withdrawn from that route over a period of a few weeks. A different one had a technical fault and had not flown so the one I was on was FULL. The entertainment system was screen down the front, use binoculars to see it, even though the magazine had descriptions of some view on demand system. SQ do not want that kind of discrepancy between their magazine and what customers get.

The 787 has characteristics which make it like the 380 - higher pressure and humidity than normal and active noise reduction in the cabin, so you get off a long flight much fresher than the old ones. Only been on one once though, earlier this year.

Another problem with the 380 was that the wingspan was wider than most runways were designed for, so only some airports were reworked to enable use of them. The other problem is the double deck loading requiring different airport gates. Those things have been a problem for their adoption.

I expect the 380 will be hard to sell to secondary airlines because it is too big for them. Also, it could get into the Turkish Airlines - DC10 problem of being too complex for the airline - which led to one of the DC10 crashes, the one out of CDG.

The 737 had problems during design, it took much longer than expected, but it has turned out extremely successful and has withstood major technology changes over its life.

The workers in the 380 factory in 2010 walked much slower in the factory than they walked in the strike parade through Toulouse a few days before I saw the factory.
09-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #29216
Site Supporter

I suspect that Pentax as a brand is in better hands with Ricoh than it was with Hoya. The synergy is greater. Under Ricoh, creativity has been applied with new and different technologies and features. Hoya just wanted access to proprietary Pentax technology. The K1 has lots of new features that hopefully will prove to be worth while and wanted by photographers. Keeping the Pentax brand is likely the plan at Ricoh and is the better course of action. Pentax as a brand name has a much higher appreciation/respect ratio than Ricoh, irrespective as to whether Ricoh ever produced a good camera. Additionally, Canon and Nikon are having severe marketing and volume issues because of their much higher concentration of lower end cameras. The lower end is becoming dominated by smart phones with good cameras in them. Having a smaller line up is not necessarily a bad thing. Less loser models to have to discount or discontinue.

I see a couple of things that I don't particularly personally like but they are not deal breakers. I preferred the raised lettering in the dials. It screamed "Quality"! I don't prefer the tilting screen but this seems to be the wave of the future. I use the viewfinder exclusively. All the new FF lenses appear to be superior products, irrespective as to who manufactured them. As long as they are of the highest quality, I shall continue to pay a premium for them. They are a long term investment. I love my DA*s but my new D FA 150-450 is a beaut and built like a tank. The Pentax brand seems to finally be going all WR and AW, a very good thing that all Pentaxians have wanted for years. Physically, comparing a Pentax to its competition leads the uninitiated and non-prejudiced to the conclusion that the Pentax products are of very high quality and they just feel right in one's hand. People who know basically nothing about DSLRs can tell that you have a good camera if you have a Pentax. This means that the Millennials who do aspire to better photography will consider the brand. Objectively and value wise, it is one of the best products currently in the marketplace. We all just need to hope that Ricoh keeps it that way.
09-17-2016, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #29217
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, at least you covered all bases by posting the exact same thing in the "Why I Won't Buy a K-3" and the "Why I Will Buy a K-3" threads.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-17-2016 at 01:08 PM.
09-17-2016, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #29218
Site Supporter

Where's the "why I won't buy a K-3 unless the one I have breaks" thread?

09-17-2016, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #29219
Site Supporter

You know, my GR has a Ricoh logo on the back

Oh.

I see.

(In other news, the lack of a viewfinder means there is no problem with a hociR appearing on your face. Or my face.)

09-17-2016, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #29220
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, at least you covered all bases by posting the exact same thing in the "Why I Won't Buy a K-3" and the "Why I Will Buy a K-3" threads.
I didn't even know there is a "Why I Will Buy a K-3" thread.
My day is ruined.
« False colour | - »