Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #29221

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
I suspect that Pentax as a brand is in better hands with Ricoh than it was with Hoya. The synergy is greater. Under Ricoh, creativity has been applied with new and different technologies and features. Hoya just wanted access to proprietary Pentax technology. The K1 has lots of new features that hopefully will prove to be worth while and wanted by photographers. Keeping the Pentax brand is likely the plan at Ricoh and is the better course of action. Pentax as a brand name has a much higher appreciation/respect ratio than Ricoh, irrespective as to whether Ricoh ever produced a good camera. Additionally, Canon and Nikon are having severe marketing and volume issues because of their much higher concentration of lower end cameras. The lower end is becoming dominated by smart phones with good cameras in them. Having a smaller line up is not necessarily a bad thing. Less loser models to have to discount or discontinue.

I see a couple of things that I don't particularly personally like but they are not deal breakers. I preferred the raised lettering in the dials. It screamed "Quality"! I don't prefer the tilting screen but this seems to be the wave of the future. I use the viewfinder exclusively. All the new FF lenses appear to be superior products, irrespective as to who manufactured them. As long as they are of the highest quality, I shall continue to pay a premium for them. They are a long term investment. I love my DA*s but my new D FA 150-450 is a beaut and built like a tank. The Pentax brand seems to finally be going all WR and AW, a very good thing that all Pentaxians have wanted for years. Physically, comparing a Pentax to its competition leads the uninitiated and non-prejudiced to the conclusion that the Pentax products are of very high quality and they just feel right in one's hand. People who know basically nothing about DSLRs can tell that you have a good camera if you have a Pentax. This means that the Millennials who do aspire to better photography will consider the brand. Objectively and value wise, it is one of the best products currently in the marketplace. We all just need to hope that Ricoh keeps it that way.
Hey!

Who left the door open?

09-17-2016, 11:42 PM - 5 Likes   #29222
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Perhaps you should file a complaint with the labor relations board.
Ha! You just reminded me of an old joke:

The Agricultural Wages Board enforcement team were informed that a farmer was not paying the correct hourly rate to one of his workers and an inspector was sent to interview the farmer.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the inspector.

"Well," replied the farmer, "there's my farm labourer who's been with me for 3 years".

"I pay him $450 a week plus free room and board".

"The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $350 per week plus free room and board".

"Then there's the idiot who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here".

"He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night".
"He also sleeps with my wife occasionally."

"That's the guy I want to talk to --- the idiot," says the inspector.

"That would be me," replied the farmer.
09-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #29223
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mark, sounds like most owners of small businesses.
09-18-2016, 02:54 AM   #29224
Site Supporter

Yup, you're right Tim. It sounds like me and I'm not even a farmer!

09-18-2016, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #29225

Mrs. Racer and I have a small hobby farm, 6.17 acres of beautiful riverfront bottom land.

Other than cutting the grass, keeping the brush cut back, and keeping a small garden and 5 fruit trees, we don't do much else.

Here is my lawnmower:

09-18-2016, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #29226
Loyal Site Supporter

Mrs. Racer and I have a small hobby farm, 6.17 acres of beautiful riverfront bottom land.

Other than cutting the grass, keeping the brush cut back, and keeping a small garden and 5 fruit trees, we don't do much else.

Here is my lawnmower
Oh, that's a beauty (and a really nice restoration)! I'd like 6.17 acres of land just so I could ride that thing!!
09-18-2016, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #29227
Site Supporter

Hey!

Who left the door open?
Dang.

I would make a whimsical comment right now, but I am on my second open bottle and a bit tired.

So, tune in later and maybe I will catch up ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-18-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
09-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #29228
Site Supporter

Here is my lawnmower:

Our lawn service skipped mowing our lawn last Friday. Do you want to pop round with that Ford?

09-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #29229

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Our lawn service skipped mowing our lawn last Friday. Do you want to pop round with that Ford?
Lawn service?
09-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #29230
Site Supporter

Lawn service?
Yes, indeed. A husband and wife pair come around and mow it all for $40. I pay it gladly!
09-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #29231

Yes, indeed. A husband and wife pair come around and mow it all for $40. I pay it gladly!
Wish I could get my grass cut for $40.
09-18-2016, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #29232
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My lawn service is Mrs. Parallax.
$40.00 sounds like a bargain.
09-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #29233
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My lawn service is Mrs. Parallax.
$40.00 sounds like a bargain.
Wish I could get my grass cut for $40.
Indeed. I pay it gladly. For the time it would take me to do it - they zip through with a fast ride-on and it's done in no time.
09-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #29234
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yup, you're right Tim. It sounds like me and I'm not even a farmer!
I saw my grandfather when I was young.
09-19-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #29235
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our lawn mower (son) got married in 2014.
Found a guy, army veteran, with a one man lawn service, and he cuts, weed eats, and blows off trimmings for $35 a week.
We have a half acre with a slope in the back, so I think it's a bargain.
Pentax Q fisheye view: