Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #29386
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,803
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The easiest thing to do is to have a switch setup on the Mains Distribution Board. It has three positions - off in the centre, Generator power to one side and Mains power to the other. When switched to the generator position, it wires to minimal circuits in the house only. A few hotpoints, a few lights and essentials like the power supply for water pumps, fibre phone line termination point, freezer, fridge, etc. Then you have a caravan hookup point and you need a portable generator that you stick outside when you want to use it, so as to not have poisonous fumes come in the house from running the generator. Obviously, you need fuel, but a full car tank holds between 65-120 litres, so using that you can run the setup for quite a while. I've arranges setups like that for quite a few rural clients. Works very well.


When I built my home a propane cooktop and fireplace were part of the design. I set a 500 gallon underground tank as there is no natural gas available here. Knowing that at certain times of the year electric service will be interrupted it was part of the plan.


This has proven to be a very good move.


Next we will be installing a standby generator that runs on propane. The system has a transfer switch, and a microprocessor that monitors the power supply. In the event of an outage it automatically switches over to the generator.

09-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #29387
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,803
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I must point out that the last three pages have been page numbers 1957, 1958 and 1959. Without a doubt, the years with the prettiest cars.


1955 and 1956 have some winners too!
09-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #29388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,518
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The easiest thing to do is to have a switch setup on the Mains Distribution Board. It has three positions - off in the centre, Generator power to one side and Mains power to the other. When switched to the generator position, it wires to minimal circuits in the house only. A few hotpoints, a few lights and essentials like the power supply for water pumps, fibre phone line termination point, freezer, fridge, etc. Then you have a caravan hookup point and you need a portable generator that you stick outside when you want to use it, so as to not have poisonous fumes come in the house from running the generator. Obviously, you need fuel, but a full car tank holds between 65-120 litres, so using that you can run the setup for quite a while. I've arranges setups like that for quite a few rural clients. Works very well.
Depends on the local rules. In South Australia, where the blackout was, one is either connected to mains, or entirely off grid, but not physical connection between the two. This created an irony for people with solar cells - when the power failed they could not use their own solar power. Too bad for all the people who thought that in buying solar, and getting the rebate for generating power, that they would also make themselves at least partially self sufficient.

Even if we get the power, there will be some other problem arise because of loss of some other infrastructure element.

---------- Post added 09-30-16 at 03:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A Zambian friend pointed out why he likes roundabouts/rotaries/traffic circles better than traffic lights/robots; they are never out of order - and they can't be stolen
I like that: they can't be stolen.

---------- Post added 09-30-16 at 04:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I built my home a propane cooktop and fireplace were part of the design. I set a 500 gallon underground tank as there is no natural gas available here. Knowing that at certain times of the year electric service will be interrupted it was part of the plan.


This has proven to be a very good move.


Next we will be installing a standby generator that runs on propane. The system has a transfer switch, and a microprocessor that monitors the power supply. In the event of an outage it automatically switches over to the generator.
We can protect ourselves from the inconvenience of some things but we are very limited as to which things we can protect against and for how long.
09-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #29389
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,803
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
We can protect ourselves from the inconvenience of some things but we are very limited as to which things we can protect against and for how long.


So very true.

09-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #29390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,306
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Today, again, I was reminded of the fleeting nature of our short lives on this Earth. A cycling friend, John Chesmar died suddenly today, here in Masterton, from a suspected heart attack.
He was a few days short of his 66th birthday, a fit and (seemingly) healthy man, much loved by his wife, Di, (also a cyclist, but a runner and triathlete too) and family. He was a keen road cyclist, always with a kind word and a friendly helping hand and a good sense of humour.

This last Saturday, John cycled with us on our 100km+ excursion to Alfredton and back. He was near the tail end of the group, as was I, when the going got fast. He was a much better cyclist than me, even though he had a good 16 years age disadvantage. Afterwards, we went for a coffee, bragging and lying session at Entice Cafe.

This came rather short on the heels of the (belated) news of my long-time friend, Bernard Toyk's passing in Cape Town, South Africa. I can do without news of this nature. Please join me, even though you don't know these people, by thinking of John's wife Di, and Bernard's partner Wendy and their respective families during this trying time.
Sorry to hear about your friends. Thoughts to the families.
09-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #29391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,306
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
1955 and 1956 have some winners too!
I am liking 1960, shows how old I am but still...
09-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #29392
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,566
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I built my home a propane cooktop and fireplace were part of the design. I set a 500 gallon underground tank as there is no natural gas available here. Knowing that at certain times of the year electric service will be interrupted it was part of the plan.


This has proven to be a very good move.


Next we will be installing a standby generator that runs on propane. The system has a transfer switch, and a microprocessor that monitors the power supply. In the event of an outage it automatically switches over to the generator.
Sounds like a good system. Does it switch back when the mains comes back on, or is that manual?
09-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #29393
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,566
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
1955 and 1956 have some winners too!
The Lincoln Continental Mk II is testament to that! Did you know that it cost Ford more to make each Continental grille, than the sticker price of a whole full size Ford sedan? They actually lost money on each one they sold, but they did not care - it was a brilliant bit of advertising for them.

09-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #29394
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,566
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Sorry to hear about your friends. Thoughts to the families.
Thank you, much appreciated.
09-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #29395
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,803
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sounds like a good system. Does it switch back when the mains comes back on, or is that manual?


I'm not sure about the specifics of what happens when the utility supply is restored, but I would assume if it is smart enough to switch over instantaneously during an outage, it should be smart enough to shut down and return to standby then.


Otherwise it might come on during an outage and run on until the fuel supply is exhausted. That would not be good if one was away on holiday or business.
09-30-2016, 01:01 AM   #29396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,558
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Well done. .....
No, not really.

Looks a bit undercooked.

Put it back in the frying pan ...
09-30-2016, 01:10 AM - 2 Likes   #29397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,558
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Socialist! 😀

The footage we saw last night showed intersections with cars in all directions ... and no traffic lights.
Socialist ...

This is my everyday life in France ... except that the traffic lights work, but are ignored when convenient.



"PS" and red rose in hand or "fist" if you like = Parti Socialiste

Oops ... Désolé for the "political" reference, but this post is more of a "culture exchange" than politically oriented
09-30-2016, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #29398
dbs
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 117
Power

Hi Racer

The power in South Australia used to be state (govt) run similar to your PUD but through a govt oversight MMMM has been sold off ..

Cyclone hit Blyth is still standing

Mark sorry to hear of your loss.

Dave
09-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #29399
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,566
Thanks Dave, Much appreciated.
09-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #29400
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,803
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Socialist ...

This is my everyday life in France ... except that the traffic lights work, but are ignored when convenient.



"PS" and red rose in hand or "fist" if you like = Parti Socialiste

Oops ... Désolé for the "political" reference, but this post is more of a "culture exchange" than politically oriented


If the caricature of the cartoon is an indicator, the PS is an ancient dinosaur?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top