10-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #29491
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Forgot to post my latest grill shots.
Pork loin and a French sausage.

Even though I should not be eating those things anymore, I still can sniff the delightful goodness and salivate profusely.

10-05-2016, 01:48 AM   #29492
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
...I still can sniff the delightful goodness and salivate profusely.
Bacon to that!

I did make a very nice lasagne night before last. For those not in the know, the secret to the perfect lasagne is: Half beef mince, quarter pork mince and quarter lamb mince. As I learnt from a very nice old Italian lady.

Last night's dinner consisted of odds and ends left over from the wake and eats from the funeral. It's a pity we wait for good people to be dead before we say nice things about them. I think I'll start a tradition where I'll tell people to their face while they're still alive what I value in them.
10-05-2016, 04:54 AM   #29493
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks tasty!
Unfortunately I cannot consume such gastric delights anymore.
Unless I want to make another visit to the ER.
Don't know specifically what your condition is, but mine is t2 diabetes since January this year. It's very annoying and I have to say that I find the food restrictions an absolute ABSOLUTE swine.
10-05-2016, 05:15 AM   #29494
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

in
laws
that you would rather not be with?
No, not this time.
We were camping in the Black hills.
A very pleasant weekend until the drive home. My slide-in camper sits 11' 4" at the roof vents, so driving home on a 25-30 knot cross wind was quite exhilarating.
That's exhilarating in the Winston Churchill use of the term: "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
That's about how I felt when we got home.
Fortunately, between the stiffnes of a 3/4 ton truck and the Timbren 8,000lb overload springs, there isn't much sway.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-05-2016 at 08:04 AM.
10-05-2016, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #29495
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, not this time.
A very pleasant weekend until the drive home. My slide-in camper sits 11' 4" at the roof vents, so driving home on a 25-30 knot cross wind was quite exhilarating.
That's exhilarating in the Winston Churchill use of the term: "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Fortunately, between the stiffnes of a 3/4 ton truck and the Timbren 8,000lb overload springs, there isn't much sway.
On-road windsurfing with a 3/4 ton truck? Sounds... interesting.
10-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #29496
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Don't know specifically what your condition is, but mine is t2 diabetes since January this year. It's very annoying and I have to say that I find the food restrictions an absolute ABSOLUTE swine.

A bit of acute pancreatitis a couple weeks ago that had me in hospital twice in 3 days.

The doctors said it was caused by a fatty liver.

Changed my life forever.

I posted about it here:

So even though I've been around the past week or so, I haven't been doing so great.

I may have mentioned Mrs. Racer and I were headed for the coast for some quality time with family. The house was great, the company was good, but shortly after heading out last week I noticed something was amiss. I took ibuprofen for what felt like middle back pain.

A lot of ibuprofen.

The symptoms got worse, then subsided. I spent several nights without sleep. Then I slept and felt OK. twice I was ready to go find a doctor. Made it to Monday at 1am, and Mrs. Racer told me to get ready to head home. She dropped me at the ER on our way home, I wound up with tubes sticking out of me and endured a barrage of testing and an assault by numerous people of various specialty.

After about 11 hours they cut me loose with instructions for a strict 72 hour clear liquid diet and a follow up with the GP.

The diagnosis? Acute pancreatitis to start, then numerous side effects. (later they tell me the pancreatic inflammation was the result of a fatty liver)

Mrs. Racer drove into town and on the way home we picked up some prescriptions and fluids.

After the first 24 hours f fluids I realized there were considerably more going in than coming out. About a 1,000 to 0.001 ratio.

I was gaining weight, probably water from not peeing.

Back to the ER.

More tubes and blood samples. More scans and tests.

About 13 hours later Mrs. Racer drove back into town and took me home.

They never did tell me why I wasn't peeing, but they did give me a liter if fluid through the IV. Go figure.

I finally started peeing better Thursday morning. Saw my GP, we had a nice talk, and we discussed diet strategies.

It is weird to not burp or fart for 6 days.

Today I actually feel reasonably normal. Missed work all week, but should be ready to rock Monday. There is one Percocet left in the prescription bottle, and I may just get through this without it.

I am now almost, but not quite, a vegetarian. I will choose and prepare just about everything that passes my lips from here on out. This evening Mrs. Racer fixed some pork loin medallion thingies she found at Costco the other day.

No more popcorn with extra butter at the movies.

No more ice cream.

No more pie with ice cream.

No more bacon cheeseburgers.

Say it ain't so!

10-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #29497
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No, not this time.

The first time I hauled a pair of jet engine inlet cowlings was an interesting experience. As usual it was very windy. A couple hours out, while rolling West across the flat Kansas plain a gust of wind actually picked the trailer up off the road.

Got my attention.

These things aren't very heavy, about 5,000lbs each. The tooling (the large grey wooden pallets) actually weighs more than the cowlings.

In the 5 years I drove big trucks there was more than my share of cross winds that threatened to blow me over. Many times interstate 25 from Cheyenne to Casper was shut down for high winds. After waiting a day in Casper, they opened it up and I counted several dozen trucks on their door handles between there and Casper.

10-05-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #29498
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Got my attention.
Pucker factor increases by the square of the wind speed.
10-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #29499
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Pucker factor increases by the square of the wind speed.

Oh yeah.
10-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #29500
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, 500 to go.

It's the PentaxForums 500!
10-05-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #29501
Veteran Member