Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well...to draw an automotive parallel...our Outback doesn't say FUJI on the front. Brands do matter, and must be defended and promoted.

10-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

btw, would you prefer it they were hiding the Ricoh name? Then people would just cry "oh no Ricoh is hiding its ownership of Pentax, I will never buy their cameras because they are so sneaky and dont even care about Pentax"
10-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I think "Ricoh" at the back is the pre-production model, no one know yet what will be on it in actual product. Let's wait and see :-)
I prefer how Hoya did this, they have the Hoya name at the bottom.

But then, Ricoh is not a bad name in camera, afterall they have the awesome GR.
10-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'd rather see Rico-Pentax on the back, but they really would shoot themselves in the foot to lose the Pentax on the prism box.
Rico-Pentax ?

10-10-2013, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think Ricoh on the front of the camera won't matter to a new generation of photographers after the old fogies are long gone.
Hmm...That seemed to work *really* well for the rebadged - K10D with Samsung.

NOT.

Pentax K10D = Success
Samsung GX10 = Failure

It was 99% the same camera.
(The back of the GX10 camera had more "styling" and some slightly re-branded menuing)

Pentax gave Samsung everything it needed to make the GX10 a success, but no one wanted a Samsung DSLR.

Same for Ricoh. No one *really* wants Ricoh cameras except for the GR crowd and industrial folks.

Let Ricoh try and get a little DSLR cred. It's all they can do.
Maybe someday they *will* put Ricoh up front, and then maybe they can gain some ground, but I hope it's not too much like a Pentax.

I think the K-01 replacement will be Ricoh, as that would make sense after the GXR debacle.

And honestly?

I could see myself buying a Ricoh K-02 as long as it took my K mount lenses.
I wonder what the K-01 die hards would think about that?
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
Wow. They could call it the Dinkycam for all I care as long as they keep making quality K-mount APS cameras.
10-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why I won't buy a K-3 - now

1. I'm very happy with my K-5 II. It's working great for me.
2. My current gear suits my photography interests.
3. I upgraded to the K-5 II only recently.
4. Budget.

I'm okay with the Ricoh label - they own the brand. However, I'm a bit surprised they didn't borrow a function from their other line of equipment and integrate an option in the K-3 to make multiple copies of an image in colour or B&W.

- Craig

10-10-2013, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Find the lens you like then buy the camera that goes with it. As long as Ricoh is selling K-mount I don't care if Bozo the Clown's name is on the back. One of my dreams is Sigma puts out a K-mount body so I can use a Foveon sensor with my Pentax glass. Maybe it's just me, but no matter who makes the camera, I can always put one of my Pentax straps on it. And if Canon or Nikon made a k-mount FF camera, I might look at that too. Anything to use whaat I've got with what I want.
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
btw, would you prefer it they were hiding the Ricoh name? Then people would just cry "oh no Ricoh is hiding its ownership of Pentax, I will never buy their cameras because they are so sneaky and dont even care about Pentax"
Back is fine with me, that's no big deal. I do think it's very important to keep the Pentax name on the front.

More people are likely to be excited by the new Jaguar F-type than a Tata F-type...
10-10-2013, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might draw the line at "Dinkycam K-3" or "Bozo the Clown K-3," but I agree with the sentiment!
10-10-2013, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Does it really matter at the end of the day?

My MX says Ashai on it.

Did they make a better camera? yes. does it still accept my K mount lenses? yes

heck, CaNikony could release a K mount body, but as long as it allowed me to use my K mount glass and offered me the features I need, then I'm happy. I'd be disappointed it didn't say Pentax up front, but whatever.

Besides, when other people see your photos, do they really care what name was on the camera? Do you look at other peoples photos and go "oh, that was shot with a Sony, I'm not going to waste my time looking at this image"
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Banned

Should I buy one, I have no problems telling people I have a "Ricoh K-3" if they ask. Who are these people asking all of you what you're using and why do you care?
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Personally I couldn't give a 4XXXX what name is on the camera as long as it's a quality product and takes my K-mount lenses.
Amen. My thought exactly.
10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax gave Samsung everything it needed to make the GX10 a success, but no one wanted a Samsung DSLR.
Not even Samsung
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Same for Ricoh. No one *really* wants Ricoh cameras except for the GR crowd and industrial folks.
We'll see about that. I'm fine with Pentax cameras made by Ricoh, by the way, even if I'm not fond of the Ricoh name.
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think "Ricoh" at the back is the pre-production model, no one know yet what will be on it in actual product. Let's wait and see :-)
Ricoh is on the back of the final model.

There were some pre-production cameras out in the wild that had Pentax on the back so as to not cause suspicion
should another Pentax user see one in use (as it looks so much like the K-5).

Little did Ricoh realise how excited Pentax users get when they see another one.