Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #30091
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Our 31st is in 7 days.
Neither of us is retired though, so we can still stay out of each other's' way about 10 hours a day.
My congratulations!

A colleague of mine cut back to working four days a week as he was closing in on retirement and he chose to have Wednesdays off. When he was asked why he didn't take Mondays or Fridays off instead he looked struck with horror; "I could never! My wife has Mondays and Fridays off!"

I think he was serious...

10-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #30092

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My 19th year as a buyer/seller on eBay was Oct. 3.
I rarely buy or sell there these days, but was a heavy hitter for many years.
Here's some facts for those who didn't visit the site in the early years.

Your ID was your email address.
Fees were very low, and postage was much more reasonable than it is today.
eBay didn't send an invoice, you did.
You could buy/sell almost anything, including guns.
You could leave negative feedback for deadbeat bidders, and you could see bidder IDs.
There was no Buy it Now option.
Very few sellers had the knowledge or means to post pictures, this often meant long written descriptions.
Payment was by cash, check, or money order only, meaning completed transactions could take a couple of weeks.
It used to be fun, and still can be when you list a fairly rare item and watch the bids climb near the end.
Folks used to start bidding right away instead of last minute.
Some of my buyers were practically friends due to our communications from their repeat purchases.

I remember the early eBay days. Discovered eBay in 1999, while looking for license plates. Nearly all of my activity in those first few years was motor vehicle license plates, and some automobilia.

It was great to be able to see the profiles and other details about every bidder and seller. These days so much of the information is restricted, the players are faceless and nameless. Today there is little to no communication between buyers and sellers.

Sterile and impersonal.
10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #30093
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I sure don't miss the Commodore (Vic) 64. The "64" stood for 64kb RAM.
I did my final year engineering project on an HP8945 (think I got the number right). The University were very proud that they had paid the extra $15k to increase the RAM to 64k.

I was doing my project doing antenna analysis, solving Maxwell's equations for ...

Bulk fun!

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 04:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I remember the early eBay days. Discovered eBay in 1999, while looking for license plates. Nearly all of my activity in those first few years was motor vehicle license plates, and some automobilia.

It was great to be able to see the profiles and other details about every bidder and seller. These days so much of the information is restricted, the players are faceless and nameless. Today there is little to no communication between buyers and sellers.

Sterile and impersonal.
Back about then I was giving a lecture and one of the students was bidding on various auctions and his friends were sitting around watching and cheering a results. No idea what he was bidding on.

It was about that time I got the line "someone's phone is lonely and wants to be talked to". The first time I used it, it was a rather pretty girl whose phone went off in an engineering class.
10-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #30094
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Got my 10 year pin at work today. Hard to believe it is real gold and a real emerald on it.
Congratulations Would you rather it was chocolate in a nice gold wrapper, with a little stud of lime jelly??

10-13-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #30095
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL

It's a little known fact, but the same thing happens to PentaxForums spammers...
So that's what all that commotion is outside?
10-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #30096
Site Supporter

Got my 10 year pin at work today. Hard to believe it is real gold and a real emerald on it.

In other news I also had a butterfinger. My waistline said now, but my mouth said ohh yeah.
Nice!
10-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #30097
Site Supporter

Nearly all of my activity in those first few years was motor vehicle license plates, and some automobilia.
Are you sure we're not related?
10-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #30098
Site Supporter

Neat!

10-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #30099
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congratulations Would you rather it was chocolate in a nice gold wrapper, with a little stud of lime jelly??
When I had worked 10 years at an Australian university the reward was one of their 10th anniversary (same year) promotional mugs. And a pin with their logo which had a pewter finish.
10-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #30100
Site Supporter

At my workplace I believe people who've worked here for 10 years are rewarded with a shrug. I have to be here four more years before I earn mine
10-14-2016, 05:02 AM   #30101
Emperor and Senpai

I was actually surprised, then I found out I was supposed to get a 5 year pin too, but the manager I had at the time was one who probably kept, melted down, and sold it.
10-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #30102
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got a kick out of this craigslist ad for a local garage sale tomorrow.
Pretty sure some of us can relate to the last item listed.

Tools, clothes, kitchen appliances, furniture, books, coats and the neighbor's dog.

Last edited by robtcorl; 10-14-2016 at 07:46 AM.
10-14-2016, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #30103

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Back about then I was giving a lecture and one of the students was bidding on various auctions and his friends were sitting around watching and cheering a results. No idea what he was bidding on.

It was about that time I got the line "someone's phone is lonely and wants to be talked to". The first time I used it, it was a rather pretty girl whose phone went off in an engineering class.

When I was still a mechanic at the electric utility we attended the Vehicle Maintenance Management Conference at the University of Washington. An annual week long event with representatives from utilities and other municipal fleets, suppliers and vendors, and many associated industries and agencies. Each year on one day of the conference there was a huge luncheon for attendees, with a keynote speaker.

At one particular luncheon the speaker was some guy from NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration). He was giving a lecture on the black boxes in motor vehicles that are similar to flight data recorders in airplanes.

As this was back in the early days of cell phones (that period when the first flip phones were appearing) and everyone had been asked to place them on silent or turn them off. Partway through the talk a phone rang.

The guy didn't miss a beat, saying, "If that's for me tell them I'm not here."

The place erupted in laughter.

I have used that same line ever since when in meetings or other situations where phones intrude.
10-14-2016, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #30104
Site Supporter

The guy didn't miss a beat, saying, "If that's for me tell them I'm not here."

The place erupted in laughter.

One of my lecturers, when a phone went off among the several hundred students present, looked up with a subservient mine: "Would you like for us to leave the room while you talk?"

To much the same reaction. And one very red face.
10-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #30105
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
dead thread??