Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #30391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Get in there and contest that speedy deletion notice!
Nah, you could if you want. But I don't think arguing with an admin is a good idea when I've been a member for about an hour...

10-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #30392
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well. Contested.
10-27-2016, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #30393
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The article will probably be deleted soon as a 'Speedy Deletion' notice as been added at the top.
Gee, the guys at DPR type quickly.

Or Rockwell ... got his fingerprints all over it!

Last edited by clackers; 10-27-2016 at 09:55 PM.
10-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #30394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We have a true masochist here!
I will have you know that I did qualify my statement by referring to events of having my mouth dug in by someone else. I also did not say that for entertainment in a couple of weeks when the immediacy of the memory of the present event has passed that I would choose to go back there for some kind of facsimile of the activities to be performed upon me. I do have future treatments scheduled, but that is only because it is NECESSARY.

---------- Post added 10-28-16 at 03:29 PM ----------

How does this look for a start?

WIWBAK3 - Wikipedia
Do contest the speedy deletion threat for his article in order to keep it in Wikipedia.

10-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #30395
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

How does this look for a start?

WIWBAK3 - Wikipedia
Ah, but...

QuoteQuote:
This article may meet Wikipedia's criteria for speedy deletion as an article about a website, blog, web forum, webcomic, podcast, browser game, or similar web content that does not credibly indicate the importance or significance of the subject. See CSD A7.

What an insult!!!

10-28-2016, 02:41 AM   #30396
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I like what he does with the diamonds at the sewage treatment plant.
10-28-2016, 02:42 AM   #30397
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That is brutal.

10-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #30398
Veteran Member

I see it has been contested twice...
Be interesting to see if it stays.

Also add content to the page.
10-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #30399
Pentaxian

I see it has been contested twice...
Be interesting to see if it stays.

Also add content to the page.
Still only two contests in all those hours. Please friends, contest it with some sound arguments for why it should remain in the Wikipedia.

Maybe we need to be able to report that we filibuster here like the old bloke in the US Senate by reading the recipe book, or was it children's stories? A recipe reference would perhaps make it defensive, and not that far from our favourites, such as beer tasting notes, and odes to bacon. After all, one of Robbie Burns' claims to fame is his Ode to an haggis, which means something like 'eat this and have the strength to conquer over many Englishmen'.

---------- Post added 10-29-16 at 03:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That is brutal.
The person I visited for professional services was not like that.
10-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #30400
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

"We are sometimes encouraged to think of baseball as a sort of Russian novel filled with bad omens... But, really, it’s a collection of short stories."

Loving the World Series at the moment.These teams who haven't taken home the silverware in a long time pounded each other in the opening games. This piece was written after the first.

Ancient History and Short-Term Memories in World Series Game 1 - The New Yorker
10-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #30401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"We are sometimes encouraged to think of baseball as a sort of Russian novel filled with bad omens... But, really, it’s a collection of short stories."

Loving the World Series at the moment.These teams who haven't taken home the silverware in a long time pounded each other in the opening games. This piece was written after the first.

At least when Australia hosted the World Series Cup we invited teams from somewhere else in the world than Australia to come and make a crowd drawing appearance. Sometimes they even won. I seem to recall that at some time, when Tony Greig was a commentator it was the Benson & Hedges Cup, but then things changed, Harry Potter hit, and that name was not to be named, at least on TV. In 2004 when I went to Toulouse for the first time, also my first time to Europe, I notice that the activity that was the normal intended purpose of the sponsor's product was called, to Anglicise the word: "fuming". Pretty good word for the activity.
10-29-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #30402
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

The Cubs last won the World Series in 1908.

Been a long dry spell.
10-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #30403
Pentaxian

Yesterday I went to Oxford. Parked on my side of the city and walked in. When I got to Gloucester Green (a very nice name for a bus terminal) there were lots of police in body armour, including armour across the top of their feet, carrying helmets and some small clear shields - but no guns. Made me worried if they knew something was on that I did not know. Should I go to the library, which is a huge tourist attraction (I was going inside to read the books, not just to look at the outside). Then I remembered hearing on the way that about 2-3 hours later there would be the start of a soccer game between a couple of soccer businesses. It amazes me how childish the soccer crowds are here, that they would even think of doing something that would get them arrested, or even at risk of being arrested, because of things done or not done by the employees of some rich guys' soccer businesses or the man who runs around with a whistle displaying red and yellow cards sometimes. And our taxes have to pay for all those bus loads of police. BTW: I think I heard on the way home, after nothing I was aware of happened, that the local business, Oxford United, lost 4-0. I guess the coach will be giving the players plenty of practice at aiming kicks at the goals this week so they can get the ball though the rectangle at the end of the field with a net attached. Soccer here seems so different to sport in Australia. In Australia anyone who wants a ticket goes on the internet and buys and the fans of each side end up mixed up randomly.

BTW: apart from feeling nervous about whether they knew of a threat I did not I felt entirely comfortable around them as an ordinary member of the public going my way along the street because I could feel confident that they would not do anything to me unless I first did something provocative. In one place where the footpath was narrow they waited for me to walk by.

I guess I became cynical about big league sports in the mid 80s when, in Australia, they transformed from local clubs, with things like the league clubs running school programs to develop local talent (whom they had first option over by zoning rules) to businesses that just hoped that someone else would develop the young talent that they relied on.
10-30-2016, 12:59 AM   #30404
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It amazes me how childish the soccer crowds are here, that they would even think of doing something that would get them arrested, or even at risk of being arrested, because of things done or not done by the employees of some rich guys' soccer businesses or the man who runs around with a whistle displaying red and yellow cards sometimes.
I don't know why there's such a culture of violence around football here in the UK. It's specific to that particular sport... you never see it at rugby matches, for instance (well, I never have).

Some years ago I went to a Millwall home game with one of my friends, who is a devout Millwall fan. Before-hand, we went for a couple of beers at a pub near the stadium. Despite having been in a few "situations" over the years, I have never before or since known such an atmosphere of aggression - it constantly felt like everything was about to kick off. At the match, there were three or four isolated fights of maybe 20 - 30 people in total, all of which had the potential to spiral out of control were it not for the many mounted police in body armour (both the officers and horses). The game was OK, but at the end of the match I was relieved to come home.
10-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #30405
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a great Billy Connolly routine about finding himself at the wrong end of the ground, amongst the enemy.