Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #30601
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
"What is this you call property? It cannot be the earth, for the land is our mother, nourishing all her children, beasts, birds, fish and all men. The woods, the streams, everything on it belongs to everybody and is for the use of all. How can one man say it belongs only to him?"
-Massasoit
Grand sachem (intertribal chief) of all the Wampanoag Indians 1590-1661
"Get off my property!"
- BigMackCam, 1969 - present

11-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #30602
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

"What is this you call property? It cannot be the earth, for the land is our mother, nourishing all her children, beasts, birds, fish and all men. The woods, the streams, everything on it belongs to everybody and is for the use of all. How can one man say it belongs only to him?"
-Massasoit

^^^ An interesting defence for shop-lifters...
11-10-2016, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #30603
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"Get off my property!"
- BigMackCam, 1969 - present
You're still a pup Mike, I have a daughter one year younger than you.
Wait until you're my age and it will be Get off my ******* property punk!
11-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #30604
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You're still a pup Mike, I have a daughter one year younger than you.
Thanks, Bob - you've made my day!

Wait until you're my age and it will be Get off my ******* property punk!
I already have my moments, but I'll keep working on it

11-10-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #30605
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cakes - two of them! Congratulations... you must be overjoyed
Thank you - yes! They wanted at least one boy.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Congratulations, Monochrome. Be good to them, they'll have power of attorney one day!
I probably won't be around for that.

Twins, how cool!

Congrats to all!
Best part is she had to do in vitro (he was in chemo last winter) and they both 'took'. So double happy. The chemo / surgeries worked AND they got twins.
11-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #30606
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Best part is she had to do in vitro (he was in chemo last winter) and they both 'took'. So double happy. The chemo / surgeries worked AND they got twins.

I read once that the in vitro method results in more multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.) than conventional conception.
11-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #30607
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's right. Even though my mortgage is paid off I still don't own my house and land. I rent it from the county.
I give them a check every year for about $1700.00.
Similar here. I own my house outright, and technically I own the land too, as it is "freehold" (I pay no land rent, but I do pay "Council Tax" for town, county and some national services). But ultimately, all land here is owned by The Crown...
-Massasoit

The land belongs to Mother Earth. Even our homes and businesses are built from that which our Mother Earth provides. Therefore, no man can own any of it.

11-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #30608
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The legal doctrine of terra nullius relates tot he assumption made in the occupation of the new world that, in the absence of documented types of land ownership of the form established in western Europe that the land was not owned, and therefore would be owned by the first person to come and claim it. The first person came an claimed it n the name of the crown of their country, which then presumed to carve it up for the use of those people whom they chose, under terms the crown decided, in most cases only people recently arrived. Mabo succeeded in Australia in challenging that doctrine, subject to a number of specific conditions being satisfied. That is quite sensitive politics in Australia.
11-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #30609
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'd say that's triple happy. Congratulations!
11-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #30610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd say that's triple happy. Congratulations!
Yeah. 3 hearts!

Really good, I mean WORLD CLASS doctors for both of them. Lot of traveling and hand-holding for both. It changed my perspective on a lot of things.
11-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #30611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I read once that the in vitro method results in more multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.) than conventional conception.
The Doctor fertilized 16 and chose the two that he thought were best. He said, "I picked a boy and a girl for you <pause> Hah Hah."

Frankly, they expected at least one to be rejected, so it is a real blessing.
11-11-2016, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #30612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The land belongs to Mother Earth. Even our homes and businesses are built from that which our Mother Earth provides. Therefore, no man can own any of it.
I have heard the argument that, although the First Nations were living on the land that is now the United States, they had not "done something" with it, and thereby had no claim to control or ownership. He stated and believed that this was a "basic principle" recognized universally by all nations through all time.

On the other hand, if it is true that the First Nations regarded land as something that could not be owned, it is curious that so many tribes identified "our" hunting grounds that could not be used or intruded upon by neighboring tribes. According to one account I read of the Lewis and Clark expedition, one of the most regular requests from the tribes they encountered was for firearms and assistance to deal with neighboring tribes who were making incursions onto "our" land. So it seems that the concept that the land belongs equally to all and to no one person applies only within "our people" and does not extend to all people = not to NPLU. Also, if the land cannot be "owned," then how can it be "taken away?" It's a thorny issue, nothing like black-and-white.
11-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #30613
Pentaxian

Many of the above "inconstancies" are not at all inconsistent, but are not easily understood by those not brought up speaking native language. The point being, the fact that white folks have a problem with the translations, doesn't men native people had problems with the original concepts, or do now. Basic concepts of native culture are understood, and not open to the kind of debt suggested above. Saying your concepts aren' the same as ours is different from saying "we have the right to take your land and have you conform to our way of doing things." Native American lost their land because they weren't as technologically advanced, and didn't have as many people It was an act of brute force. Let's not try and dress it up.
11-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #30614
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting though the subject is, it strikes me that we've strayed into social and cultural politics - but politics, nonetheless. Best we draw a line there, if you good folks don't mind
11-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #30615
Pentaxian

And it's considered impolite in native culture to discuss politics or religion in pubic.

Have a little respect for the ways of "the people".