Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2016, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #30616
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And it's considered impolite in native culture to discuss politics or religion in pubic.
I would imagine that's the case in any culture!

11-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #30617
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm smelling sulphur this morning. I've not arrived in Hell. We're in Rotorua where my wife is running an Ultra Marathon. See The Smell of Rotorua - Rotorua New Zealand
11-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #30618
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm smelling sulphur this morning. I've not arrived in Hell. We're in Rotorua where my wife is running an Ultra Marathon. See The Smell of Rotorua - Rotorua New Zealand
Reminds me of passing through Dodge City, Kansas, except the smell was not sulphur (spelled sulfur here)

11-11-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #30619
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like fun. Well, not the running; that's just pure madness! But I know the smell. Had a lot of it when we visited the Azores some years back. Never got quite comfortable with the ground being warm and having boiling mud all over the place.

There's no smell of sulphur in Hell, btw. Have passed thorough there several times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

11-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #30620
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Reminds me of passing through Dodge City, Kansas, except the smell was not sulphur (spelled sulfur here)
The first time I stopped at Dodge City I had no clue. The cloud can be seen from several miles away. Tens of thousands of cattle, trucked in from many miles away, all waiting in feedlots, getting fattened up for slaughter.

The stench is also noticeable from several miles away.

I only ever stayed overnight each time I passed through, staying at the Flying J on the North side of town. Flatbed loads of airplane parts are out of place there. The truck stop is always filled with cattle trucks (empty and loaded), feed trucks and reefers leaded with freshly butchered meat.

By the time I would leave my olfactory gland had acclimated to the stench.

It always took a couple of days to get my sense of smell back.
11-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #30621
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of natural hot springs in the mountains near where I live. Years ago, Mrs. Racer and I went to Olympic Hot Springs in the Olympic National Forest on the Olympic Peninsula. Located in the Olympic Rain Forest, the hot springs used to be the site of an elaborate resort. The resort has been gone for a very long time, but the springs remain. It is a short hike, a mile or two, and there are a half dozen pools or so, many fixed up from many years of hikers placing rocks such that the pools are like hot tubs. We took a tent along, which I set up for us to disrobe in, and then get into afterward to dry off end get dressed for the hike back to where we parked.

There is another hot spring in the Olympic Rain Forest, and many more in the Cascade Mountains. There are also a few springs that are developed, Resorts for the city folk who can't be bothered with a hike. Drive up, check in, and then soak in a large concrete pool with hundreds of other city folk.
11-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #30622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many decades back when we were first married we camped on a loop around the country including an idyllic-sounding spot called Cherokee Lake in Oklahoma, BUT, the water is sulfurous, so the the whole area smelled like rotten eggs. Not quite the least attractive place* we camped over many years, but one where I would not voluntarily camp again.

*Worst place was Steamboat Springs: muddy campground, disgustingly filthy restrooms, and a nearby RR track on which several massive freights went by in the night, horns blaring at the road crossing adjacent to the campground. Only consolation I suppose, it was free. You get what you pay for.

11-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #30623
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Worst place was Steamboat Springs: muddy campground, disgustingly filthy restrooms, and a nearby RR track on which several massive freights went by in the night, horns blaring at the road crossing adjacent to the campground. Only consolation I suppose, it was free. You get what you pay for.
I had to chuckle at that... "Steamboat Springs" sounds so appealing. Not exactly full disclosure, is it?!
11-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #30624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I had to chuckle at that... "Steamboat Springs" sounds so appealing. Not exactly full disclosure, is it?!
Exactly our reaction. Thought it would be idyllic. Maybe the original name was "Steamtrain Sings."
11-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #30625
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Interesting though the subject is, it strikes me that we've strayed into social and cultural politics - but politics, nonetheless. Best we draw a line there, if you good folks don't mind
Thanks.

And for the same reason I will not tell the Wise Fox what subject I am reading about in the famous library with the tourists outside. And it is not the current topic.

---------- Post added 11-12-16 at 05:29 PM ----------

I once stayed in a campground at Blinman North. The best part was the comedy show at the pub next door where the barman had to ring up his mother to find out how much to charge for staying at the campground. The partitions in the amenities blocks were an extreme version of the kind I have often seen in the US. The builder saved so much on materials that if you were either 6" too short or 6" too high you would be displayed to anyone outside the window. Be happy, just remember it was supplied by the lowest bidder.
11-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #30626
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
*Worst place was Steamboat Springs: muddy campground, disgustingly filthy restrooms, and a nearby RR track on which several massive freights went by in the night, horns blaring at the road crossing adjacent to the campground. Only consolation I suppose, it was free. You get what you pay for.
You must have missed the ski season.
11-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #30627
bxf
Veteran Member

OK, but can someone please summarize for me all the reasons for not buying a K-3? And, does it all come down to mean that I should be getting rid of the one I already have?
11-12-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #30628
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

2lb sledgehammer would be my suggestion for removing the foul creature from your prescence....
11-12-2016, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #30629
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
2lb sledgehammer would be my suggestion for removing the foul creature from your prescence....
No can do - we're metric here...
11-12-2016, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #30630
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
No can do - we're metric here...
Try a 907.1847g sledge hammer then.