Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #30646
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Actually, I'd like to see some high speed action shots of a bullet from a high powered rifle passing through a K3.

Like this, only with a K3.

That would be very cool.
But... but... Wouldn't that let out the evil spirits?

11-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #30647
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But... but... Wouldn't that let out the evil spirits?

Smash them too.
11-12-2016, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #30648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And let's not forget the surströmming.
I prefer grilled green tomatoes topped with a mix of mayo and bbq sauce.

11-12-2016, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #30649
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
True. Most of us stick to beer.

And...

Christmas beer season has started!

Skĺl!
What was that word at the end. How does it sound when written in normal English alphabet?

It looks like a word that appeared, in the old days*, in student newspapers as "skull", meaning to consume the whole beer without taking it from the lips. Kind of like a scene early on in War and Peace where Pierre was with a group of young men drinking brandy without taking the bottle from their lips. According to Tolstoy that did not end particularly well, or with wellness.

*These days student publications seem very docile, like they are censored by the Vice Chancellor's office, in the old days more like they were censored by the Chancellor of Vice's office.

Last edited by tim60; 11-12-2016 at 11:17 PM.
11-12-2016, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #30650
bxf
Veteran Member

Summarise? You lazy bas...sfisher, go back and read all the posts you have obviously skipped.

It will be educational.
Geez, I'm on post 278. This will take forever.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
And to prove that you did, your test will contain questions on the following:
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, diet, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, pages, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, people, possums, posts, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, stuff, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world, youtube
Probably too many posts to remember everything, but I'll have a go when I finish.
11-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #30651
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Geez, I'm on post 278. This will take forever.
The Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course might be worth the time.
11-12-2016, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #30652
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What was that word at the end. How does it sound when written in normal English alphabet?

It looks like a word that appeared, in the old days*, in student newspapers as "skull", meaning to consume the whole beer without taking it from the lips. Kind of like a scene early on in War and Peace where Pierre was with a group of young men drinking brandy without taking the bottle from their lips. According to Tolstoy that did not end particularly well, or with wellness.

*These days student publications seem very docile, like they are censored by the Vice Chancellor's office, in the old days more like they were censored by the Chancellor of Vice's office.
Skoal!

Cheers!

Salut!

Bottom's up!

Here's mud in your eye!

A toast to us all!

To your health!

11-13-2016, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #30653
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Skoal!

Cheers!

Salut!

Bottom's up!

Here's mud in your eye!

A toast to us all!

To your health!
I have also seen it spelt "scol" in English. But the correct would be "skĺl" (or "skál" in Icelandic, I believe). It literally means "bowl", as in drinking bowl. In modern Norwegian it means saucer - besides what you say when toasting, that is.

Some will claim that it comes from the Vikings actually drinking from skulls, but that's just a myth. Skull ("skalle" in Norwegian) has a different etymological origin. A pity, I know
11-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #30654
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Kampai!

11-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #30655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And ciao! And Slainte (sorry, I have trouble inserting accents).
11-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #30656
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope our NZ friends are safe after the shake and tsunami down there.
11-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #30657
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
And ciao! And Slainte (sorry, I have trouble inserting accents).
Ah, but which accent? Most seem to spell it sláinte, but some write slŕinte. I have even seen slâinte. Are those different forms of Gaelic, or just bad spelling?
11-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #30658
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hope our NZ friends are safe after the shake and tsunami down there.
Indeed! Doesn't look as bad as the 2011 one, thankfully.
11-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #30659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, but which accent? Most seem to spell it sláinte, but some write slŕinte. I have even seen slâinte. Are those different forms of Gaelic, or just bad spelling?
I'll play neutral on the choice of accents, harboring gratitude that I don't know the procedure for adding one when posting on PF. I am totally unfamiliar with different Gaelic accents, or Gaelic in any form, despite, as with so many Americans, having an Irish ancestor (grandfather Harry was born in Ireland, so I was told).
11-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #30660
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kampai!

You remind me of a series of conferences I went to for the East Asia section of an international professional society. At the dinner night a tradition arose that in amongst other entertainers, like hired singers, the group from each country would go on stage and propose a toast in their national style. Fun doing that kind of let your hair down stuff. Some of the participants were things like former government ministers etc.

---------- Post added 11-14-16 at 05:03 AM ----------

I just google mapped the place Mark names on his location. there seem to be two in NZ, on in Wellington, far from the event and one in Christchurch, very near the event.