Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #31216
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Any idea what lens he used? You omitted the EXIF data, so we can only guess...
X-ray images are life size. No lens. Just throw the right amount of photons at something and it makes an image on film. Kinda like something we did in first or second grade, where we laid leaves and other items on light sensitive paper, exposed the whole mess to sunlight for a few moments and the result was a shadow of whatever blocked the light, and with leaves they looked like x-ray images.

Actually these shots of my foot and hip are digital, so they must be using some sort of sensor. The technician had several plates, or cassettes, just like they used for film imaging, but she just set them aside while composing and making the next image with another. They aren't connected with cables, so I suspect there is some sort of electronic telepathy going on to transfer the image data. As she was working, composing the next shot, the software was processing the last image. It took about 10 to 15 seconds for each one to get done.

Neat stuff.

12-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #31217
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's not often you get two, ahem, "slender, sharp-pointed metal pins with a raised helical thread running around it and a slotted head or other shaped head, used to join things together by being rotated" thingys in one day. Not at my age anyway.
Sorry to hear that, mark.
12-07-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #31218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One week post op follow up today. Doctor says its looking good.

Really?

Come on, does this really look good?
Those stitches will tickle like hell when they get removed
12-07-2016, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #31219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had five between couple toes(nothing compared to your situation), holding the bottom of my foot together. Removed them myself, damn it tickled!

12-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #31220
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Those stitches will tickle like hell when they get removed
I've had stitches before. In 1997 they cut the plantar fascia, and removed a neuroma near the second and third toes. The cuts weren't quite so long, so the tickling didn't last as long as removing these should.

The incision for the hip was 9 or 10 inches, but I don't recall if they used stitches or staples. In fact I don't remember getting anything removed.

Except the bandage. It was about 2" wide and about 12 inches long, had a rubbery outer surface, and gauze on the side that faced the cut. They put it on the day of the surgery and left it on for about 3 weeks. It had some industrial strength adhesive. Felt like it ripped the skin off when the doctor took it off.
12-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #31221
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sorry to hear that, mark.
Thanks Jim!
12-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #31222
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kinda looks like a carpenter was in the OR, and he left a couple screws and a staple in there.

Their tools and methods are not that different. Use screws to avoid impact driving of nails that might shatter bones. Except for cleanliness and slowing down a bit, not that much changed in the 201 years since Waterloo.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 03:49 PM ----------

You can kiss goodbye to fast transit through airport scanners
When they ask you to take off you shoes, take off your socks as well so they can see.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 03:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
How's the weather in SD?
The news is showing how nasty it is in ND.

When my son finished Air Force basic training in San Antonio, TX he said none of the recruits wanted to be sent to Minot, ND, and that they had a saying:
Why not Minot?
Freezin' is the reason!
A hardship posting for minor miscreants. To tell them they are career limited, start looking for jobs to go to at the first scheduled discharge date.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 04:02 PM ----------

X-ray images are life size. No lens. Just throw the right amount of photons at something and it makes an image on film. Kinda like something we did in first or second grade, where we laid leaves and other items on light sensitive paper, exposed the whole mess to sunlight for a few moments and the result was a shadow of whatever blocked the light, and with leaves they looked like x-ray images.

Actually these shots of my foot and hip are digital, so they must be using some sort of sensor. The technician had several plates, or cassettes, just like they used for film imaging, but she just set them aside while composing and making the next image with another. They aren't connected with cables, so I suspect there is some sort of electronic telepathy going on to transfer the image data. As she was working, composing the next shot, the software was processing the last image. It took about 10 to 15 seconds for each one to get done.

Neat stuff.
Imagine the fuss by the medical industry if the machine makers had not designed in that backwards compatibility. What would have applied if cameras did the same , digital back instead of film back. Another back plate for my old MX?

12-08-2016, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #31223
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

But the hip is screw-less.
Heavens, you have so many mechanical parts you're going to need a CLA from time to time!!
12-08-2016, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #31224
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Heavens, you have so many mechanical parts you're going to need a CLA from time to time!!
Are you suggesting sending him to Eric?
12-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #31225
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Are you suggesting sending him to Eric?
I'm not sure Eric has the necessary tools... Although, on second thought, he probably does!!

I'm not sure a full restoration would be possible, but it would keep him working smoothly, perhaps?
12-08-2016, 10:56 AM - 3 Likes   #31226
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure Eric has the necessary tools... Although, on second thought, he probably does!!

I'm not sure a full restoration would be possible, but it would keep him working smoothly, perhaps?
I was going to suggest we could ask Eric to see if his aperture is opening and closing properly, but that might be step too far...
12-08-2016, 11:29 AM - 4 Likes   #31227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to suggest we could ask Eric to see if his aperture is opening and closing properly, but that might be step too far...
His sensor humor seems fine.
12-08-2016, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #31228
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All of my apertures are functioning well, thank you.

Snappy and free from oil.

12-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #31229
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
His sensor humor seems fine.
Oh, nice one, Bob!!
12-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #31230
Veteran Member

Got the bagpipes going at 6:30 this morning.
Great way to wake up!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »