Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108814 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #31336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I thought you gentlemen might like this sunset....
Norm, Norm, Norm...
What do you think this is: a photography thread???????

12-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #31337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Jean, it's a nice tee-shirt, but... it's a little "empty", don't you think?
Oh my goodness, NO! Absolut Apple
12-14-2016, 07:53 PM - 5 Likes   #31338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On an entirely different theme, I have discovered the cure for LBA, though I cannot recommend the treatment.

About a month ago I posted that I was to be a grandfather of twins, a boy and a girl - close to, but not quite Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V - coming in March. Well, we had a surprise Sunday afternoon. They showed up a little early for the party. Like 13 weeks early.

So now I have twin grandchildren, born at 27 weeks instead of 40. They're perfect, tiny versions of full-term babies, less than 2 pounds each, and everything is just as it should be for both.

They'll be in Neonatal Intensive Care for 8 - 10 weeks, but they cry and respond and we can hold them (it is actually encouraged that they're held against bare skin several hours a day) and they know we're doing it. It's mostly their mother and father who do the 'Kangaroo Parenting' thing, but we'll be pressed into service twice a week to help our son and DIL do that, since there are two of them. It's really something to go through the instinctive baby-bonding thing again, the more so under these circumstances.

It makes me realize what a REAL addiction is - unconditional, non-rational, uncontrollable love - versus this silly craving to own and fondle another old lens. How trivial K-1 or Hocir on the back or the K1000/8 that so captivated me last week seems now by comparison.

LBA cured.

And now I return you to your regularly scheduled Programming.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-14-2016 at 07:58 PM.
12-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #31339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
About a month ago I posted that I was to be a grandfather of twins, a boy and a girl - close to, but not quite Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V - coming in March. Well, we had a surprise Sunday afternoon. They showed up a little early for the party. Like 13 weeks early.
Congratulations, Paul.

12-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #31340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, congrats.
And you are right about the treatment; there must be less labour intensive ways to cure LBA.

Last edited by rod_grant; 12-15-2016 at 03:19 AM.
12-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #31341
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So now I have twin grandchildren, born at 27 weeks instead of 40. .
Congratulations, Paul! 13 weeks prem used to be very complicated. With medical advances now much less so.
12-14-2016, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #31342
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

isn't there a bacon thread around here?

12-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #31343
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I thought you gentlemen might like this sunset....

I'll highlight the important part for those of you who missed it.

I know guys aren't usually sentimental about sunsets, but come on, doesn't that warm your heart?

Be even better with a rainbow.

Just sayin'.
12-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #31344
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
On an entirely different theme, I have discovered the cure for LBA, though I cannot recommend the treatment.

So now I have twin grandchildren, born at 27 weeks instead of 40. They're perfect, tiny versions of full-term babies, less than 2 pounds each, and everything is just as it should be for both.

They'll be in Neonatal Intensive Care for 8 - 10 weeks, but they cry and respond and we can hold them (it is actually encouraged that they're held against bare skin several hours a day) and they know we're doing it. It's mostly their mother and father who do the 'Kangaroo Parenting' thing, but we'll be pressed into service twice a week to help our son and DIL do that, since there are two of them. It's really something to go through the instinctive baby-bonding thing again, the more so under these circumstances.

It makes me realize what a REAL addiction is - unconditional, non-rational, uncontrollable love - versus this silly craving to own and fondle another old lens. How trivial K-1 or Hocir on the back or the K1000/8 that so captivated me last week seems now by comparison.

LBA cured.

Congratulations Paul!

Best wishes for the early arrivals. As others mentioned, and I'm sure you are aware, 13 weeks is way early. The twins must be eager to get started.
12-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #31345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Congratulations, Paul! 13 weeks prem used to be very complicated. With medical advances now much less so.
Thank you, and yes it is fairly routine, in the context. At this time there are 40 premies in the NICU of just this one hospital - 3 sets of multiples, so ours are in separate IC 'Units' (essentially rooms) until one of the twins Units opens up.

A co-worker related that his grandmother was 12 weeks premature in 1899. The circuit doctor made her a sling and hung her next to the fireplace; they fed her drops of milk from a spoon, etc. Our best friend's mother was born 11 weeks premature on a Texas ranch in 1922. She was one tough woman, let me tell you. I dated her daughter before my wife, and behaved because I was actively afraid of Mrs. T.

They were fighters - they willed themselves to live. The difference today is we can help the ones with problems to survive.
12-14-2016, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #31346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Congratulations Paul!

Best wishes for the early arrivals. As others mentioned, and I'm sure you are aware, 13 weeks is way early. The twins must be eager to get started.
I think Buddy got fed up with being kicked by his little (by two minutes) sister and said, "I'm outta here"

Last edited by monochrome; 12-15-2016 at 05:32 AM.
12-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #31347
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But do you like accordions?
Not much.

---------- Post added 12-15-16 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Time for breakfast!

Ironing the bacon? Never saw that before.

---------- Post added 12-15-16 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
isn't there a bacon thread around here?

The last lot was being ironed. New way of cooking.

---------- Post added 12-15-16 at 03:53 PM ----------

Congratulations Paul. Something in life that is really important. Hope it is all happy.
12-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #31348
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, and yes it is fairly routine, in the context. At this time there are 40 premies in the NICU of just this one hospital - 3 sets of multiples, so ours are in separate IC 'Units' (essentially rooms) until one of the twins Units opens up.

A co-worker related that his grandmother was 12 weeks premature in 1899. The circuit doctor made her a sling and hung her next to the fireplace; they fed her drops of milk from a spoon, etc. Our best friend's mother was born 11 weeks premature on a Texas ranch in 1922. She was one tough woman, let me tell you. I dated her daughter before my wife, and behaved because I was actively afraid of Mrs. T.

They were fighters - they willed themselves to live. The difference today is we can help the ones with problems to survive.
Wow! I did not think that was possible in 1899. Amazing story. It's lungs and eyes that can be a problem with prem babies. Eyes can be corrected. But they have to have good lungs.
12-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #31349
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

LBA cured.
Congratulations - so pleased to hear all is well (albeit premature). Yeah, the birth of a child (or two) puts things into perspective somewhat
12-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #31350
Pentaxian

Congratulations !

I have identical twins as friends since middle school, and it was rumored that the most "adventurous" twin was always born first. Need to lead, etc ...

But such was not the case since Eric, who was born first, was quite shy and well reserved as compared to Mark, who was outgoing and lettered in basketball all the time. Being 6'4" helps, too.

We finally figured out what really happened in that Mark must have thought that birth was a trap or something of the like ... so he pushed Eric out first.

OK ... that's kind of weak, but it made good sense back then. Go figure. C'est la vie !

PS - Despite his height, Eric never played basketball. Zero ... he was probably afraid to be called one of the twin towers ...