why is this such a big thread
Because it is so much fun to post here

Steve

10-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #302
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it were not so sad this entire thread would be funny. Pentax puts out what is arguably the best APS-C camera on the market and certainly the best they have produced and the only flaw that can be debated is that Ricoh was so proud of it they put their name on it.

. . .

Four - I would be more worried if they did NOT put their name on it. Pentax by itself means the brand is standing alone and will win or lose all by itself, no reflection on the parent company if it fails. Ricoh on the back means the camera has the full faith and pride of the parent company and failure will reflect not only on Pentax but on Ricoh. That is a bold, positive statement that they are proud and confident of the brand and the camera.

. . .

I have as much loyalty or at least affection for the history and story of Pentax as anyone else, but that name is owned by Ricoh now and if in 5 years a DSLR has RICOH on the prism instead of PENTAX, well if it still has k-mount and still takes my lenses then I guess that's what I'll be shooting with.
Jeepers. This thread shows me that there are many Pentaxians that I just don't understand. I must be screwed up. Or maybe I just want Pentax gear to continue.

Jatrax has stated well all the key points for me. I say it this way:

Ricoh, having put out the masterful K3 (hopefully it lives up to all those great specs) has EARNED the right to put their name on the camera. Without them, we would have had crap, or nothing. They put the brand name, "PENTAX", where it should be - prominently on the front of the camera, where the brand names of all cameras are put. Their company name, "Ricoh", is on the back, where "Asahi Optical" and others have gone, and in small letters. This is perfectly proper, and, as Jatrax points out, shows that they have "signed up", and take full responsibility for the K3. Yes, they're proud of it, should be, and deserve to put their name on the back. The name shown to the world is still "PENTAX", telling the Canikoners to "stuff it" .

PENTAX is the brand, and Ricoh would be fools to let the great tradition of PENTAX disappear, in my not-so humble opinion. Surely "PENTAX" carries more marketing weight than "Ricoh", and marketing is very important for success in the business world. I see no reason, other than arrogance, for Ricoh to replace "PENTAX" with "Ricoh" on the camera front. I'm pretty sure that it would be a bad business move .

And if Ricoh does foolishly dump "PENTAX" as the brand, but their camera/lens line somehow survives with "Ricoh" on the front, and the mount is still K-mount, and my lenses still work on "Ricoh" cameras, what am I going to do, dump all my PENTAX equipment in the trash? I'm retired, and don't have the resources to indulge a fit of pique and buy all new equipment in another brand, just so it won't say "Ricoh". I'd go on with the still-compatible "Ricoh" line. But I wouldn't be as happy as if it still said "PENTAX". And I would continue to think that Ricoh had rocks in their head .

Just like Jatrax (not to try to put too many words in his mouth - sorry, John).

Y'all can think what you want. Back to you. I'm outta here.

That's how I feel, and I'm stickin' to it .
10-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote

I'm not buying that... It says "Heiland" on it!

I'm not buying that... It says "Asahi" on it!

I'm not buying that... It says "Honeywell" on it!

I'm not buying that... It says "Hoya" on it!

This thread is chock fulla dumb.
Agreed
10-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Jeepers. This thread shows me that there are many Pentaxians that I just don't understand.
I completely agree with that statement.

Thanks everyone for being so charitable for a sad and grumpy old Pentaxian. I wish I could tell everyone that I will be better in the future but I seriously doubt it. Something else will set me off and I'll be stomping around again I'm sure. Anyway, enjoy the K-3, I am sure it will be a fine camera. I'll be staying with the K-01 and Q until a full frame comes along.

BTW, I have absolutely no intention of selling off any of my current Pentax equipment. I have already looked at many of the others, Canon and Nikon included, and I just have no desire to buy or use them. I am still Pentax at heart and will undoubtedly remain that way for a very long time.

Have a great time and enjoy the light.

10-17-2013, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #305
Veteran Member

Holy smokes! 21 pages of messages in this thread! Is this really about the Ricoh branding on the back?

My friends... Ricoh bought Pentax. Get over it. I mean, your K-mount lens still fits and focuses, right?
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Get over it. I mean, your K-mount lens still fits and focuses, right?
I DON'T KNOW! Maybe I need to ADD a Ricoh pin to my lenses!
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #307
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Because many fan boys want to keep the most beautiful name on their cameras

10-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Because there is nothing else to do until the k-3 reviews come out?

Well, I could process and upload pictures but that seems like too much work............
10-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #309
Pentaxian

Holy smokes! 21 pages of messages in this thread! Is this really about the Ricoh branding on the back?

My friends... Ricoh bought Pentax. Get over it. I mean, your K-mount lens still fits and focuses, right?
These days, we're seeing lots of angry posts about Ricoh being under the back LCD as if having Pentax everywhere is the most important thing on a camera.
OTOH, people are unusually happy to call a 100% Sony product a "Pentax". Go figures...
10-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #310
Veteran Member

I'm very sad that my other camera has "Nikon" on the front, but at the time I wanted a lot of megapixels, so what could I do? Come on Ricoh, give me a Pentax full frame so I can be clean again!
10-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #311
Banned

Yep, really shows us what people feel is important in "photography".
10-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am thinking about starting a business where I buy and "refurbish" brand new Pentax K3s and remove the Ricoh name from the back plate and resell them for a fifty percent mark up to disgruntled Pentaxians. Now I just need some capital to work with...

Last edited by Rondec; 10-18-2013 at 06:50 AM.
10-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am thinking about starting a business where I buy "refurbish" brand new Pentax K3s and remove the Ricoh name from the back plate and resell them for a fifty percent mark up to disgruntled Pentaxians. Now I just need some capital to work with...
Reading this thread I would believe that would be a golden business you have there.

I don't understand the problem, there's bigger things to complain about. Or maybe we should see this as something positive? The K-3 apparently leaves so little to complain about that all people can think of is to complain about logos?

I don't like my favourite brand slowly disappearing like this either, but it's not *THAT* big of a deal. There's always others.
10-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it were not so sad this entire thread would be funny. Pentax puts out what is arguably the best APS-C camera on the market and certainly the best they have produced and the only flaw that can be debated is that Ricoh was so proud of it they put their name on it.
Totally agree. For me, the issue is whether it really turns out to be the best or substantially better. Not sure whether the wireless tether (a cool feature that caught my eye) will be available upon release, either. The card is not mentioned as an accessory in the Adorama page.
10-18-2013, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I thought we covered this... Mitsubishi owns Nikon. If Nikon owned Pentax, by transitivity Mitsubishi would then own Pentax. Mitsubishi would then have a camera they could finally be proud of, and they would of course plaster Mitsubishi all over it.
I thought we covered this.

Mitsubishi does not own Nikon. Nikon stock trades publicly, on the NSADAQ in the USA, under the symbol NINOY. Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi keiretsu, which has a major holding of Nikon shares.

Ricoh is part of the Fuyo Group, which FWIW includes Canon and Hitachi. Ricoh stock trades publicly under the symbol RICOY.

Pentax stock does not trade publicly. Pentax is part of Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ricoh Co., Ltd.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-18-2013 at 02:46 PM.