Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #31576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Congratulations! I hope that "nominal" was a spellcheck issue and that you mean "normal"?
'All systems Nominal' is an Air Force / NASA term for 'It's all good' or Everything is In Order.

12-25-2016, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #31577
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

That's the "stuff" out of the way... Now, another big mug or two of strong coffee, and then I can start preparing the huge pork loin for our Christmas lunch (vegetables prepared last night, so I'm ahead of schedule ).
You only started cooking the vegetables last night?
Are you sure they'll be done in time?
12-25-2016, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #31578
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As is customary, this time of the year, (if you're German or South African) I bring you Dinner for One. Feel free to skip the German Intro. The actual sketch (In English) starts at the 2 minute, 25 second mark.

Dinner for One (Original) - color - YouTube

This has cult like status in Germany, but is virtually unknown in England, although that's where it originates from. If you want to know more about Dinner for One, see the Wikipedia article - but - spoiler alert - watch the video first! Dinner for One - Wikipedia
The same in Norway. It has for some strange reason become a tradition to run it on the 23rd here.

It's an excellently performed sketch no matter what time you watch it

Oh, and merry Christmas to you all!
12-25-2016, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #31579
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You only started cooking the vegetables last night?
Are you sure they'll be done in time?
LOL I prepared the veg last night, ready for cooking today Actually, they came out well... sprouts were a little soft, if I'm honest, but because they were steamed they still had plenty of flavour

And here's the finished product. Not a tidy plate, for sure (you can see that Gordon Ramsay needn't worry about any competition just yet). The shredded mound at the left was supposed to be beautifully-sliced pork, but it was so tender it fell apart as I was carving it. I must say, though, it was delicious... I have eaten everything on that plate - way too much, frankly, and I'm replete

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-25-2016 at 07:19 AM.
12-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #31580
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Brussels sprouts are one of the few vegies I like. Cabbage, spinach, and corn I like also.
Cucmbers are my weakness. I like them in salads, or as a side garnish, but I love cucumber sandwiches. Cucmbers, mayo, and white bread!
12-25-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #31581
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

. sprouts were a little soft, if I'm honest, but because they were steamed they still had plenty of flavour
That all looks delicious! Sprouts too! I love sprouts! I made these the other night and they were very fine eating....sprinkled them with Parmesan. Mrs Rupert says "sprouts are sprouts" and wouldn't even try them.
Best Buffalo Brussels Sprouts - How to Make Buffalo Brussels Sprouts

At 8am here in Texas it is 70F and rising fast. Does not feel like Christmas. Off to my Mom's in a couple of hours......Merry Christmas to everyone!

Best Regards!

Question for Jim??? What did you get that little granddaughter for Christmas? You need to start early so you can get used to spending a lot of cash on her...because in time you will be lavishing her with whatever she wants...I guarantee!
12-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #31582
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Brussels sprouts are one of the few vegies I like. Cabbage, spinach, and corn I like also.
Cucmbers are my weakness. I like them in salads, or as a side garnish, but I love cucumber sandwiches. Cucmbers, mayo, and white bread!
All of those, 'cumbers included, are favourites of mine. Seems like there are better recipes for spinach and corn in the US, though... here, we typically just sweat the spinach and boil the corn, whereas the times I've had it in America, it's usually been creamed and seasoned far more. Lovely...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That all looks delicious! Sprouts too! I love sprouts! I made these the other night and they were very fine eating....sprinkled them with Parmesan. Mrs Rupert says "sprouts are sprouts" and wouldn't even try them.
I've always been amazed that so many people dislike sprouts, but I watched a TV programme about them the other night (yes, an entire programme about the Brussels sprout ). Apparently, many people get an unpleasant bitter flavour from them, whilst others - a smaller proportion - taste the bitterness much less, or not at all. It's a genetic thing (supposedly)...

I'll have to try the Parmesan... sounds good

12-25-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #31583
Veteran Member

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

It's just gone 8am here, but I've been up for three hours already... Woke up around 4am
You're going to need to work on your math...
12-25-2016, 07:57 AM - 3 Likes   #31584
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

You're going to need to work on your math...
Merry Christmas, Bertwert

No, for once my math is fine (just waiting for @Parallax to laugh out loud at that one)... I woke at 4am, read and listened to the radio, got up at 5am and posted my message around 8am - three hours after I got up. I know that's correct - I've worked it out on my advanced engineer's calculator...
Attached Images

12-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #31585
Veteran Member

No, for once my math is fine (just waiting for @Parallax to laugh out loud at that one)... I woke at 4am, read and listened to the radio, got up at 5am and posted my message around 8am - three hours after I got up... I've worked it out on my advanced engineer's calculator...
Fair enough.

Got up and woke up are different things...

Merry Christmas, Bertwert
Thanks.

Had a weird dream last night that a 31 Ltd appeared in the stocking but that didn't happen... got some socks though
12-25-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #31586
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Got up and woke up are different things...
Indeed so. In fact, when I was a teenager, those two things didn't always happen on the same day...
12-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #31587
Veteran Member

Indeed so. In fact, when I was a teenager, those two things didn't always happen on the same day...
Currently, I've been sick the last week, I'm waking up with a headache around 1000 and getting up around 1400 but thankfully I'm feeling much better today and up around and moving at 0800!
12-25-2016, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #31588
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've always been amazed that so many people dislike sprouts, but I watched a TV programme about them the other night (yes, an entire programme about the Brussels sprout ). Apparently, many people get an unpleasant bitter flavour from them, whilst others - a smaller proportion - taste the bitterness much less, or not at all. It's a genetic thing (supposedly)...

I'll have to try the Parmesan... sounds good
That Delish Site has 35 recipes for sprouts. Some looked really good to me. I love them most any way and the bitterness is not at all a problem to my palate. I like things on the tart or bitter side.....no sugar in any drinks and lime or lemon water is my favorite summer drink...no sugar. Mrs Rupert would bathe in sugary sweets if she had her way....but she does watch her weight very strongly and does a pretty good job of avoiding overeating of sweets. Chocolates....that is her real weakness! Same for all my Chocolate Girlfriends! Some of them have really put on the pounds in the past few years from my chocolate gifts, yet they crave more and more!

Greens are delicious.....I have a recipe for spinach soup that is one of my favorites...it has cream cheese, mozzarella, and cheddar along with real cream and butter. Pretty rich, but even Mrs Rupert loves it! Turnip greens, collard greens..I love greens!

Best Regards!
12-25-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #31589
Pentaxian

Raising a child exposes one to many new and unexpected experiences.
Three is exponential ... about 3²² for all my lil' Frenchies ...
12-25-2016, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #31590
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Jean, there are some things my mind cannot comprehend. e.g. infinity, being blind and or deaf, black holes, raising three girls, etc.