Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #31966
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Even a shoulder holster shows if the jacket fits too well.
Small guns......they work best. Fit in an ankle holster or even a high top sock with ease. That's how I carry mine. Since 99.9% of defensive encounters are at a distance of only a few feet you don't need a cannon or your AK47 to get 'er done. Not enough stopping power you say? Ever seen the exit hole from a .22 long rifle hollowpoint stinger? If you are certain they won't stop just stand in front of me and let me pump 3-4 into you....it will change your mind...instantly!

Big guns do have a deterring effect, if you are sure that is all you need, though I am hesitant to pull out a gun unless I intend to use it.
I was in Ft Worth maybe 20-25 years ago visiting a friend that owned a Black nightclub in a rough part of town. He was a lifelong friend and I was very secure in his place, never a worry, but I stopped at a convenience store a few blocks away to get a pack of cigs before I went to his club for a visit and a few games of pool....and cold beer, of course!

I was in Mrs Rupert's new Nissan Maxima and it was lookin' good! When I came out of the store there were four young men, about 14-16 standing by the car. They told me they were "jacking" my car and to hand over the keys. I was wearing a sports jacket and when I went in the store, knowing the possibilities of the area, I had my .45 tucked in my waistband......very uncomfortable...but it was only for a few minutes.

I asked the "gang leader" if they had brought a gun, and he pulled out a small knife.......to which I replied, as I pulled out the .45....
"That's too damn bad, because I brought mine." I think they are somewhere in East Ft Worth....still running!

My Black club owner friend laughed but said I should have shot every one of them....and he wasn't kidding. I could write a book about Rufus.......he killed 13 men (that they knew of) and never spent a day in jail. In every case he said the deceased "needed killing". He was a Ft Worth icon, and loved by the cops. He kept the peace and ruled the East side like a dictator. The Trinity river was about 400 feet from his club, which was just east of downtown. When a patron got unruly, Rufus would ask him when he wanted to go swimming.......everyone knew what that meant and knew he wasn't kidding.

Before I was rehabbed, we used to go squirrel hunting together...he was a damn fine shot. His wife Jimmy made the best squirrel dumplings on earth. She was a lot like Rufus, but only meaner. Those were the days......

Regards!

01-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #31967
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ivory grips?
01-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #31968
Veteran Member

Speaking of grabbing for your gun.
Now in my senior years I've discovered a real time saver.
Often times when I go to relieve myself I find my pants are pre-unzipped.
One of those Why didn't I think of this before? moments.
01-13-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #31969
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
the possibility of being admired for anticipating the moment might be outweighed by the possibility sharing a small room with chuck the drooler

01-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #31970
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
ivory grips?
Gold dust. It was my Uncle Otis' gun in WWII...there is a long story behind it, I've told it here before. I have used up my story telling minutes for today...I started to tell it again and my PF Alarm went off and said NO!

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Went into the restroom at Aldis a while back and found out I had been shopping unzipped for 40 minutes. Didn't seem to be a problem, and it was a timesaver.

Which reminds me...I ordered new T-shirts a few weeks ago from JC Penney and in order to get free shipping I needed to add a few more items. So I ordered a couple of pair like these. Turns out I really like the fit and love the speed of the "Pecker Pouch".
Jockey 2 pk Pouch Boxer Briefs

Regards!
01-13-2017, 10:13 AM - 3 Likes   #31971
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

hope you guys don't have a day as rough as mine

All these meals interrupting my day. Jeez...

01-13-2017, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #31972
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think we'll let Jim reply to your situation...he is really good with two word replies!

Regards!

01-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #31973
Veteran Member

Since Mrs Rupert will be working to age 80, I just ordered her a lunch box, water bottle and hot food container. This way she can eat at her desk and never have to go out for lunch and spend cash that can be used for camera gear...and chocolates for my Chocolate Girlfriends!

Her family always called her (and still do) Kitty.....so I got her a Kitty box!

Gotta be thinking ahead....and old Rupert always is!
Name:  HELLO KITTY!.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  119.2 KB

Regards!
01-13-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #31974
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think we'll let Jim reply to your situation...he is really good with two word replies!
I would have replied sooner, but when I came back in from shoveling FOR THE 4TH DAY THIS WEEK I found that I had no internet. It was out for several hours.

Now, as for the reply to the obvious suffering depicted above; I think it best that I leave the two words to the imagination.
01-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #31975
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I would have replied sooner, but when I came back in from shoveling FOR THE 4TH DAY THIS WEEK I found that I had no internet. It was out for several hours.

Now, as for the reply to the obvious suffering depicted above; I think it best that I leave the two words to the imagination.
Don't be shy. I know you want to thank me for pointing out that some people suffer more than you. Actually, I can't even do that now as there is no time! Off to yet another meal... At least the food is good and plenty, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
01-13-2017, 12:06 PM - 4 Likes   #31976
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

All these meals interrupting my day. Jeez...
C'mon guys, be honest... Am I the only one here imagining at least a dozen big, hungry sharks swimming around out there?
01-13-2017, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #31977
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Am I the only one here imagining at least a dozen big, hungry sharks swimming around out there?
I wasn't, but I am now; and I feel much better.
01-13-2017, 12:56 PM - 4 Likes   #31978
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon guys, be honest... Am I the only one here imagining at least a dozen big, hungry sharks swimming around out there?
There could be other problems out of the water....those toes must look very tasty!
Name:  Gator.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  252.8 KB
01-13-2017, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #31979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There could be other problems out of the water....those toes must look very tasty!
Attachment 339528
put peanut butter down and call in the squirrels
01-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #31980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

The sleet/freezing rain/ice cover is now 1/4". The temperature and precipitation conditions are projected to last another 36 hours, so I can't leave the house, can't shovel the ice, can't walk the last 400' and it doesn't matter if I forget my fly until Tuesday.*

My son's in-laws keep texting images from Florida sipping frozen cocktails - every time they get a refill. (They actually make me consider punitive estate taxes - 53, retired, and their passive income is 5x what I earn - and they send pictures everywhere they go to play ).

Assuming the power stays on I imagine I'll spend the next four days washing socks or rearranging lenses and cameras in my gear cabinet. Maybe I'll do some product shooting and sell something

* all my slacks have a buttoned flap that holds the front closed whether or not the fly is zipped.