Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #31981
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The sleet/freezing rain/ice cover is now 1/4". The temperature and precipitation
We had thunderstorms turning to freezing rain on Christmas day. It still hasn't melted off of most places.
I don't like shoveling snow, but at least it can be shoveled.

01-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #31982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We had thunderstorms turning to freezing rain on Christmas day. It still hasn't melted off of most places.
I don't like shoveling snow, but at least it can be shoveled.
A month ago we had mist - literally mist - that froze on all the roads at 4:00pm. DoT was caught unawares. Slickest stuff I've ever driven on - 5mph was really scary. The arterial highways immediately came to a complete standstill, the secondary roads filled up as everybody bailed out of the highways, then all the neighborhood back routes. DoT couldn't get to the roads to treat them.

It took me two and a half hours to go 11 miles. It took to my admin 5 hours to go thirty.

Craziest thing - 2,000,000 people had this weird, shared experience. Many of my co-workers' cars slid down the entry to our building into the ditch and the rest of us got together and figured out how to shuttle them home based on our routes. People would run out of gas and random other people would stop and pick them up and drive them home. Convenience stores stacked cases of bottled water at the curb and ran back and forth to lines of cars just handing them out. Hundreds and hundreds of those stories.

It was a 'mist-storm'.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-13-2017 at 04:14 PM.
01-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #31983
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A month ago we had mist - literally mist - that froze on all the roads at 4:00pm.
My sister-in-law totaled her car on an off-ramp in Carthage (MO) during, I believe, that same event. It was right around that time, anyway.
01-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #31984
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My sister-in-law totaled her car on an off-ramp in Carthage (MO) during, I believe, that same event. It was right around that time, anyway.
As an Australian, I regarded snow as a wondrous novelty, but you guys have talked me out of it.

01-13-2017, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #31985
Veteran Member

* all my slacks have a buttoned flap that holds the front closed whether or not the fly is zipped.
This all reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine complained..."He took it out!" Kramer responded that the boys need air once in a while.....
I try to watch that my fly is zipped...my boys don't need air, they need an iron lung and life support.

Regards!
01-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #31986
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds about right - hope she's OK. Carthage is about 4 hours SW and storm tracks often come up I-44 to St. Louis. Shame about her car - that was COMMON.

My son-in-law reconnected at college in Springfield with a girl he 'liked' in 4-year-old Sunday School who became his wife.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-13-2017 at 04:09 PM.
01-13-2017, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #31987
Veteran Member

Craziest thing - 2,000,000 people had this weird, shared experience.
Yep, my wife's 1/2 hour drive was over 5, until she ran off the road and was delivered home on the back of an ATV.
Her office closed today, but she wasn't gong in no matter what.
Today's ice storm shows where the term "froze my tail off" comes from.

01-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #31988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I managed to get to my driveway, then promptly delivered my car to the middle of my side yard.

I told the boss yesterday to just shut it. I took my laptop home and called clients from here (good day, too ). They opened, then they sent everyone home at 10:00am.
01-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #31989
Pentaxian

I spent yesterday digging my Kia out of the sow bank where I had pretty much buried it, and then cleaning off sections of the driveway with an ice spade and snow shovels.
01-13-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #31990
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As an Australian, I regarded snow as a wondrous novelty, but you guys have talked me out of it.
There was a time when I enjoyed it. Even looked forward to Winter coming.
Anymore, I'd be perfectly okay with never seeing sub-freezing temps. It's not the actual cold that I dislike. Cold air doesn't have to be shoveled. It's the frozen water in it's various forms that goes along with the cold air.
01-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #31991
Veteran Member

It did warm up here to 58-59F but was still wet and too chilly for me. The 10 day forecast looks good..nice and warm again.....I did notice Otis got his tires burning again and put up some signs warning about peeing in the area with the penalty of being roasted in a burning melting tire for violators.

If we can make it another 45 days it will mostly be all over here.....but February is a killer month for bad weather.

Shoveling snow......not for me, not ever. You guys have my sympathy, sincerely!

Regards!
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #31992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yep, my wife's 1/2 hour drive was over 5, until she ran off the road and was delivered home on the back of an ATV.
Her office closed today, but she wasn't gong in no matter what.
That's just amazing!
01-13-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #31993
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just popped 5! Turkisk peber in my mouth...
Awesome! Way better than some measly cam.
01-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #31994
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I just popped 5! Turkisk peber in my mouth...
Awesome! Way better than some measly cam.
I have no idea what that means? I have no idea what a Turkish "peber" is either, but I can tell you a typo there could be disastrous......

No ice on this little girly Cardinal, but she was disgusted by the sap on that Peanut Tree and the "filthy rodents"that crave it.

Regards!
01-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #31995
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

We had some turkeys a year or two ago who refused to go inside. Then we had freezing rain one night so both guys were covered in thick ice so we had to bring them inside to defrost, they lived the event but they succumbed to our hungry stomachs