QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
as for cats...
i'm not overly fond of them
they aren't particularly bright but more self-serving sociopaths

I've always admired their skills though

how many creatures do you know that refrain from killing and eating their prey
but have them fill a bowl with kibbles twice a day
then cart their waste outdoors for them

Over the years I've had 2 cats. Both were trained to go to the door and ask to be let outside. I absolutely refused to have a box of litter stinking up my house.

As for the kibble, I kept the dish full. If they wanted to eat it was their choice. Every once in a while I would forget to fill the bowl and would get a meowing reminder.

01-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #32057
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had six cats over the last 30 years (sometimes three at once - though that wasn't planned), and I honestly found every one of them to be very different. Only one of them was the archetypal selfish cat.

My current cat gives as much or more than he takes... He's extremely affectionate and interactive - a real "companion" type of animal. He definitely lets me know about it if he hasn't been fed on time, and if I'm reading he'll often be pretty hacked off because he wants to curl up on my chest or belly for a cuddle - he'll jump onto the arm of the sofa and stare at me until I give in. He likes to play "chase" a lot, too, which can sometimes get in the way of what I'm trying to do (and is getting harder with my arthritis). And if I'm up late, or get up in the night when I can't sleep, he comes to get me and wants me to go back to bed... but really that's the worst I have to put up with. Frankly, I like his personality - it suits me well

I love dogs, too, but I've never wanted one as a pet. I'm not sure why... I think originally it was because I was out working so much, as was my wife of the time. And now, I just wouldn't be able to commit to giving a dog the exercise it needs to stay healthy...
01-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #32058
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that is the wonder of it

my son has a couple of dogs, four or five cats (depending on the day), snakes, lizards, fish and three ducks
he can't imagine why everyone doesn't have a menagerie
whereas i'm more limited in my choice of a daily companion
01-15-2017, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #32059
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I love dogs, too, but I've never wanted one as a pet. I'm not sure why... I think originally it was because I was out working so much, as was my wife of the time. And now, I just wouldn't be able to commit to giving a dog the exercise it needs to stay healthy...
Why I don't have a doggie now...they require a lot of time if you want to be fair to them....and I certainly would want to be a great buddy to any doggie pal. Old Rupert Dog could attest that I was the best to him!

My Cat Story

We have been host to three cats...two were Mrs Rupert's and one was mine. Mine was a dog in a cat body and we were the best of buddies. Hers both lived to the age of 18......mine died early at around 7 years of age, but they were some of the best years ever.

Every morning I used to sit in my shop with the door open facing the Woods of Otis as I prepared for work. On occasion I noticed a mangy yellow cat hanging around on the other side of the cedar fence. A few times I noticed him coming into the shop to rob the food bowl of Mr Kitty, a well fed and aloof outside cat adored by Mrs Rupert.

As time went by the yellow stray wild cat became more and more skinny and so weak he could barely climb the cedar fence to get into the shop. He had lost all the hair on his head and had clawed at his scalp so much his entire face was covered in streams of dried blood. One morning I watched as he tried to climb the fence in desperation and barely made it. I hid behind the door and when he came in for the food, I had on a pair of long heavy leather gloves and grabbed him. He was too weak to put up a good fight and I put him in a carrier and took him in the house where I could slip in some food and water. He ate like a pig...and in a couple of days I took him to the Vet and told him...whatever he needs, do it.

Turned out he had an allergy problem that caused his hair loss and constant scratching. Once treated I took him home and turned him lose in my shop. He didn't budge, just came to me and stayed right at my feet. From then on he was my constant pal. He was so unlike Mr Kitty...he loved to play ball every morning, and was always at the back door waiting for me to come out. If I called for Mr Kitty he totally ignored me even if he was only 20 feet away...wouldn't even turn and look at me. Tommy could be a half block away in the woods and when I called out his name he came running full speed.
When I came in from work every day he was in the drive a waiting for me and jumped up like a happy puppy when I got out of my truck. He lived in my shop with Mr Kitty...they got along fine....and he was treated like any doggie pal should be. The best of food and a heated shop in the winter with his own little bed.

When he came down sick and rapidly lost weight I took him to the Vet and he had terminal Cat AIDS....got it from fighting with other cats. He would not allow any other cats anywhere near "his place" and would fight anything that approached. He was in constant fights, but did keep other critters at bay.

When he died I lost a real buddy. R.I.P. Tommy Boy.

Regards....My timer says I have used up my story telling time for today.....

01-15-2017, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #32060
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, you know what they say: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

We have Sharky, the retired rescued greyhound, and two cats: Rosie who is seriously damaged goods - SPCA special. Milo, who is the world's most chilled out cat - A short-haired ragdoll-Tonkinese cross. Milo rules the house. All other animals give Milo a wide berth. To humans, Milo is the nicest cat. To other cats and dogs, Milo is a terror!
01-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #32061
Veteran Member

I don't dislike cats, but never had the desire to be owned by one.
One thing they have on their side, in most cases, is a longer life.
Our canine pals often times leave us way too soon.
01-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #32062
Veteran Member

Whether it is a cat or a dog, a hamster or ferret, or even a raccoon or squirrel, creatures are wonderful critters. If you take the time to get to know them, they have personalities and feelings much the same as we do....some more....or less...just like us. I can't imagine a world without them!

He's grown now, not quite the little cutie he was a while back, but still follows me around like a little puppy, and is still my little nighttime buddy! He will love me tonight! I have his favorite ready for him...Pizza and avocados!

Regards!

01-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #32063
Veteran Member

Meow!
01-15-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #32064
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I don't dislike cats, but never had the desire to be owned by one.
One thing they have on their side, in most cases, is a longer life.
Our canine pals often times leave us way too soon.
They all leave us too soon, and they take a piece of us when they go.
01-15-2017, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #32065
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
They all leave us too soon, and they take a piece of us when they go.

In the 31 years my wife and I have been together we have lost 5 cats and a dog , still have one cat and a dog (and a bloody persistent sewer rat thanks to work the city is doing driving them in can't kill the bastard ...one I won't miss)
01-15-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #32066
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I've been pretty lucky.
Since 1983 I've had 4 cats, and 2 of them are still with me.
01-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #32067
Veteran Member

Losing one is like losing family....hurts really bad. Some are easier than others if they have lived very long lives and are in a final state of misery.

Not fun here tonight...high winds, blowing rain, and a tornado warning. Very unusual for January to have tornado warnings. I have a mystery leak above our bed....directly over my pillow. So far we have not been able to locate the source and on nights like this we cover my pillow with plastic and I sleep real close to Mrs Rupert on her side of the bed. If I move any at all it irritates her and she wakes me up...so not a good night ahead for me. Gotta find that leak!

Regards!
01-15-2017, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #32068
Veteran Member

Sofa?
01-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #32069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
In the 31 years my wife and I have been together we have lost 5 cats and a dog , still have one cat and a dog (and a bloody persistent sewer rat thanks to work the city is doing driving them in can't kill the bastard ...one I won't miss)
rat or opossum?
I know it should be obvious which is which but wet opossums do resemble rats
they both use storm drains as hidden pathways

rats are much harder to deal with but where regular killing traps fail a live trap may succeed

try baiting with fruit, dog food or peanut butter in that order

if it is a rat watch your fingers when you move the trap
raccoons and opossums I relocate (some distance away)
rats face a more permanent accomodation
01-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #32070
Veteran Member

why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread)

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
rat or opossum?

I know it should be obvious which is which but wet opossums do resemble rats

they both use storm drains as hidden pathways

rats are much harder to deal with but where regular killing traps fail a live trap may succeed

try baiting with fruit, dog food or peanut butter in that order

if it is a rat watch your fingers when you move the trap

raccoons and opossums I relocate (some distance away)

rats face a more permanent accomodation

It's a rat not the first time it's happened I got one earlier in the fall (same cause ) and a few years a ago a Reno in the row two doors up caused e same as they dig out the basement. Old Victorian houses are a pain sometimes

I'll get him and if he doesn't die from poison or traps he will drown in a live trap and I'll wear gloves while I deal with him

Possums are rare here, but I have seen one on the far side of town , my hood is more raccoons and squirrels.

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-15-2017 at 09:44 PM.