Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #32161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In case anyone is wondering, I'm not dead, but only by the grace of God.
Mrs. P and I were crossing the street, in the crosswalk, with a walk light, in Rapid City Monday and a pickup hit me. Comminuted/compression fracture of the right tibial plateau (kmee) and about 3 inches of the tibia.
4 hours of sugery and I'll likely need a knee replacement within a year. It couldn't be done now because there isn't enough bone until everything heals.
As you can imagine, I'm a little sore and more than just a little mad.
Really sorry to here that.... once you get started on this stuff it seems like it never ends.

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 02:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like you will be going back to get the left one done soon. I can see the margin in the hip socket is jagged and even looks to be close to bone on bone in places.
I'm hoping you're wrong. the other one was much worse before surgery.

01-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #32162
Veteran Member

Mrs. P and I were crossing the street, in the crosswalk, with a walk light, in Rapid City Monday and a pickup hit me. Comminuted/compression fracture of the right tibial plateau (kmee) and about 3 inches of the tibia.
4 hours of sugery and I'll likely need a knee replacement within a year. It couldn't be done now because there isn't enough bone until everything heals.
Holy crap, I'd be mad as well, Glad they were able to get you in and patch you up , hope the driver got charged with appropriate things (and has insurance to pay your losses) . Take care of yourself and get well (this is turning into the operation thread) - - given how housebound this will leave you i'm guessing we will soon enough tire of your presence as well
01-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #32163
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Oh, and that sucks. A fracture like that, at that location can be devastating. You are too young to have a knee replaced. Hopefully you won't lose your leg.

Looks like you might have a chance at a huge settlement, though no matter how much you get it will never compensate you fully for your loss.

Was the driver of the pickup distracted by a Smrat Phon?
01-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #32164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
(this is turning into the operation thread)

By the way, how did your wife's surgery turn out last night?

01-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #32165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm hoping you're wrong. the other one was much worse before surgery.
Yes, getting things like this done are never high on any list of things we want to get done. But as joint replacements go, the hip has the best success rate. Sure it is a serious procedure, and the recovery painful, but now that I have settled into mine I haven't any regrets.

Oh, and yes, the right one was worse, but look at that margin. Uneven, tight at the bottom, a bit irregular. If it doesn't give you trouble then by all means, leave it be. After getting the left one done the surgeon asked me when I wanted to get the other one done. When I asked why he felt it needed replaced he showed me the x-ray. It looks a bit like your good one, only a bit more even.

I told him I would make an appointment when it gets s bad as the other one was.

By the way, are you right or left handed?
01-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #32166
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't know what that means? Otis says it was derogatory...and thanks you!
Junk is how the younger generation refers to their reproductive equipment. The reference has become very commonplace in the vernacular today.

Like that dope that went through airport security and cause a worldwide sensation with the "Don't touch my junk!" exclamation to the TSA officers.
01-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #32167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tsa let dope through?!!!?

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 02:38 PM ----------

I read the news first thing ...then snap at people the rest of the day.

What's the deal with old grouchy Norm that isn't so grouchy anymore? That surgery must have worked wonders for him? I kinda miss the old Norm....so does Otis. Otis says the old Norm gave me a hard time, and he loved it!

Going to make some Crok Pot pork chops today.....and throw that possum chop in with the bunch for flavor.

Regards!
everyone likes what they like but personally i'd just wave that nasty old possum part over the pot then toss it out for the coyotes

truthfully i'd just say I waved it
i'd really leave it in the wrapper until I put it in the trash on garbage day

yes...I've eaten that greasy, nasty tasting crap
as long as uncle sam sends me a big enough check every month I ain't gonna eat it again

Last edited by ccc_; 01-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.
01-18-2017, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #32168
Veteran Member

By the way, how did your wife's surgery turn out last night?
thanks for asking
they finally got to us around midnight, did a very through neat job under local.. she is wearing an air cast to keep it immobilized and give it a chance to heal (tendons this small are hard to fix ). the service was exemplary it was very busy, they all smiled were friendly and sped things through as quickly as possible unfortunately for us someone had a more urgent bit of damage that required the orthopedic team.
Next time i need emergency for a stupid accident (I'm prone top bad cuts, burns...falling off my bike...etc etc) i will go out of my way to visit this hospital they were far nicer than the one near me. treatment quality is good at both though
She thought she would be able to work, it will be limited duty. she is going in tomorrow (she has annual inventory a week Monday and as the GM it is on her head...
Cost so far $210 (the air cast and prescriptions) , all of which will come back to us through Workmen's Compensation (workplace accidents are covered independently from the public healthcare plane. it's still a public plan but it bills back to the employer instead of the government plan , thankfully we have universal health care
01-18-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #32169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish you a speedy and full recovery!
01-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #32170
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear you're OK.
01-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #32171
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I sincerely hate to hear that Jim....I know the frustration of being laid up. You will need this place more than ever for a while, I sure did and it is all that let me keep what little sanity I have. Anything I can do for you let me know...I'd offer to come up and help, but my calender says it is January there.....

Regards!

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 03:28 PM ----------

Junk is how the younger generation refers to their reproductive equipment. The reference has become very commonplace in the vernacular today.
Well, in my case at my age "junk" is indeed the proper word. Without modern miracle tablets I'd be just as well off to toss it out with the possum chop.
01-18-2017, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #32172
Veteran Member

Best we can do is be mad right along side you, and wish you a speedy healing process.
01-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #32173
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this, Jim. Get well soon!!
01-18-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #32174
Veteran Member

Well, in my case at my age "junk" is indeed the proper word
At our age "trash" would probably be a better word, as in our wives saying "Don't even think about taking your trash out in front of me!!"

Me: "Hey hon, look what I've got, what should I do with it?"
Her: "Why don't you wash it while you finally have the wrinkles out of it."

(hope I don't get sent to the m0d dungeon for that)
01-18-2017, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #32175
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all the support.