Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm speechless.
Who said that?

01-26-2017, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #32417
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Well of course. And bacon , beer and pickled eggs still taste the same. And it is not like the other products from the owner, used for taking Otis type pictures at office end of year parties.
I worked with a charming Lithuanian who considered beer, pickled eggs and pickled sausages a well rounded and complete dietary intake

I once asked his wife how she dealt with it
she said she didn't...he had his own room
01-26-2017, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #32418
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diesel? Or on blocks in the back yard?
Cummins ISB 24 valve. 245 horsepower. 505 foot pounds torque. NVG6500 six speed manual gearbox. Limited slip Dana diffs front and rear.

Lives in the shop except when I take it out to work or play.

Harts Pass on the way to Slate Peak, the highest place you can drive in Washington at 8,000 feet.

Off road in the snow, Utah, February 2001, a few days before Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. We were about 60 miles East of the Bonneville Salt Flats when I made this photo.

And a quick stop at the store before heading to California to go racing at Thunderhill. The truck, camper, trailer with race car, spares, fuel, tools etc. weighed in at 21,500lbs. Got about 16 to 18 mpg all the way down and back.

Just after I bought it in 2000 (it is a 2001 model year). Some long exposure and handheld flash trickery going on. Oh look, there's rare pictures of (a much younger) Racer!.
01-26-2017, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #32419
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I do remember that back in my shade tree mechanic days I never once worked on one without loss of blood.
When working on cars you can't get a thing done unless you swear like a drunken sailor. Something about the coarseness that makes everything seem to fit together better.

If you cut me I bleed oil.

01-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #32420
Veteran Member

It's been so long since I worked on one of our vehicles I can't remember when it was.
Youngest son is a mechanic, so he gets a call when needed.
I do remember that back in my shade tree mechanic days I never once worked on one without loss of blood.
I find the upside of new tech is the lack crawling around an engine compartment trying fix something I knew nothing about and hated doing anyway

on our current main vehicle you can almost reach the battery anything else requires major surgery

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 06:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When working on cars you can't get a thing done unless you swear like a drunken sailor. Something about the coarseness that makes everything seem to fit together better...
plumbing as well

I remember the exhilaration and power of learning to swear properly
there really is magic in words
01-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #32421
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have the sneaky suspicion that a set of spark leads are not going to set you back anywhere near $30k. There's probably some life yet in the old Ram. More life than there will be in the old Rupert if he pilfers his wife's debit card!
Got my truck back yesterday......a complete major tune-up and new valve cover gaskets.....new tensioner for the serpentine belt and a few other little things. Total was $533....Mrs Rupert won't ever know it is missing....
It is an old truck but looks great...has new seats, headliner, radiator, tires and is not in bad shape at all. Zero rust anyhwhere. I rarely use it except for Home Depot stuff or my many trips to the Feed Store for bird, squirrel, and raccoon feed. I'll try to keep it up in good condition rather than buy a new one.

Mrs Rupert got some good news yesterday...the Amazon stock I bought her is now $1K in the green....after months of being in the red by as much as $30K. I knew it would go back up, and will go much higher in 2017, but it was hard to convince her I was still a good manager of her funds.....I came close to being fired!

Regards!

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 07:49 AM ----------

When I was plumbing, if I ever had a single day with no loss of blood, I can't remember it. I am almost a free bleeder and bleed easily....now being older it is even worse. I routinely find blood trails in my shop and sometimes in the kitchen when I cook.
01-26-2017, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #32422
Veteran Member

When working on cars you can't get a thing done unless you swear like a drunken sailor. Something about the coarseness that makes everything seem to fit together better.

If you cut me I bleed oil.
I haven't worked on my own car in decades at this point, I shedded my last car I worked on when i moved into the core of the city and couldn't afford to park the bloody thing, it had more tickets than it was worth. I didn't get another car until the mid 90s and I have no place to work on them now, i park on the street (For most things I look at the Mini I own now and thinki it's not worth getting back at it, big tool investment to make, huge learning curve with the need for computer diagnostics, adn no shop. Way back I sold all my tools to my brother in-law and he still works on his old pickup with them. he has a shop though and lives in the middle of no where. I kind of miss working on them when i was a kid I fixed up/rebuilt drove and flipped a 66 mustang convertible with a 289, a 68 cougar convertible with a 351 cleveland, a 71 GTO judge with a 400 ram air, and a little less exotic a 76 cougar , a 76 civic, a 76 Blazer (this was a great vehicle paid for itself and the extensive off road mods in one winter towing city folk out of the ditch at the ski area i lived near) Yep cursed a bit but there is zen in it too once you are in the zone. (yes i had motorcycles )

01-26-2017, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #32423
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Again ... Mods, where ARE you ...
I was asleep.
01-26-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #32424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was asleep.
Good to know you're getting some........sleep that is.
01-26-2017, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #32425
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha ha.
Sleep comes in segments. The good news is they've gone from 45 minute chunks to a few hours.
I'm starting to think this might be survivable.
01-26-2017, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #32426
Veteran Member

Good to hear!

Speaking of survival:
01-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #32427
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I worked with a charming Lithuanian who considered beer, pickled eggs and pickled sausages a well rounded and complete dietary intake
Well, it's missing bacon for a start...
01-26-2017, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #32428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the snow?
It was around 67°F.
01-26-2017, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #32429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing has changed, bleeding is still a requirement...
01-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #32430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

I once asked his wife how she dealt with it
she said she didn't...he had his own room
a well ventilated one i hope

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2017 at 09:56 ----------

Ha ha.
Sleep comes in segments. The good news is they've gone from 45 minute chunks to a few hours.
that's good to hear Jim, lack of sleep can make everything feel worse, have some Bacon and go back to sleep we'll stop talking about livE hociR no need for a mod we're all well behaved children here