Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #32491
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This is as ridiculous as the automated phone systems
I chuckle every time I call my pharmacy for a pill refill.
The first menu item, says the automated female voice, is:
"If this is a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911"
Doh!

01-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #32492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Heard a Harvard (I believe ) Study on the way home yesterday on use of laptops/tablets in class they had three groups unfettered use of laptops, use of tablets, no electronics paper only. this is in classroom only, on final exams the paper people averaged 1.8 % higher scores . Digital is great but i don't like it for reading (though i do use it) and i never take notes with it, i use a notebook when i go to meetings , old habits die hard. I wish they would ban electronic devices from meetings maybe people would absorb what they were about

V-A-V learning. Several things I told my students about mastering material: 1) the single best way to find out if you know and understand something, and also the best way to learn it, is to try to explain/teach it to someone else; 2) do you remember what you need to have in your head? You do when you can recall it three times over the course of a week without looking it up. 3) Taking notes in class does not help you learn what what was said. Copying the notes later, while reading the text and annotating from it, that will help you learn and remember; 4) learning is HARD WORK for the vast majority of us, and anyone who says otherwise is selling snake oil.
01-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #32493
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
V-A-V learning. Several things I told my students about mastering material: 1) the single best way to find out if you know and understand something, and also the best way to learn it, is to try to explain/teach it to someone else; 2) do you remember what you need to have in your head? You do when you can recall it three times over the course of a week without looking it up. 3) Taking notes in class does not help you learn what what was said. Copying the notes later, while reading the text and annotating from it, that will help you learn and remember; 4) learning is HARD WORK for the vast majority of us, and anyone who says otherwise is selling snake oil.
True.

---------- Post added 01-28-17 at 12:21 AM ----------

Back in the 90's a "futurist" specializing in education told us, at a faculty-must-attend, deans-will-take-attendance gathering that within three or four years digital books would complete replace traditional paper texts, and all courses would be run on-line, no more classrooms except maybe for exams. I raised the objection that it was not possible to do biology labs on line. The speaker immediately responded, without a Milli-second of delay: "Anything you can do in lab you can simulate on a computer." I quietly prayed that the first surgeon who operates on her had learned his anatomy on-line rather than at a dissecting table.
I had a dispute with some former colleagues over the idea of an online teaching lab. I thought about what students learn in labs. Wrote a paper, only cited a few times, not so good for an academic, but used in applications far beyond anything I ever thought. The applications are quite gratifying to show it was more important than I anticipated. Also shows the errors of the cost cutting attitude that leads to the teach by simulations ideas.
01-27-2017, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #32494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All you need is a paper clip.

Jumper two terminals on the diagnostic connector.

Count the blinks.

Like Morse code, sort of.

One blink and a pause is 1.

Two blinks and a pause is 2.

You get the idea.

Write down the numbers, look them up in the manual or on AllData.

Interpret.

Diagnose.

Repair.
I have an Actron CP9145 OBD II reader, been using it for years. It is no match to OEM diagnosing equipment unfortunately.

01-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #32495
Veteran Member

there was an argument that in part the level of teaching drops a bit when you are looking at a bunch of laptops versus a bunch of faces paying attention. I agree though repetition through transcribing and developing notes later and further review is how you retain knowledge. step one though is being present when it's being imparted. Funnily enough the study actually found even by sitting within view of someones screen caused a drop . part oif it is down to profgs to be engaging enough of course , but real learning is still up to the individual.
01-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #32496
Veteran Member

Everyone had a good breakfast?
01-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #32497

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No SPAM®?

01-27-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #32498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No SPAM®?
mmmmm spam

01-27-2017, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #32499
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

BUT, it scares the bejeezus out of me that before I lay down the last time there will be driverless cars on the road with me. For pity sake, even when a vehicle runs on rails it needs a human somewhere who is paying attention.
The accident rate will probably drop sharply as we eliminate the human factor from driving. An AI will behave a lot more rationally and predictably than us lumps of meat and bone, and even more so if all vehicles are driven by AIs that communicate with each other.

However, when an AI fails it tends to do so in a spectacular way. I think we can look forward to some bizarre accidents, if rare.

All in all, though, I trust machines over humans any day. Computers are stupid, but predictable. Humans are just stupid.

I found I learnt best from the teachers that lectured in a structured way and at a speed that gave me time to do my notes by reformulating what they said in my own words, not just copying verbatim. I guess that sort of fits under your point 1).

But yeah, I agree with all of the above.
01-27-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #32500
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche:
Computers are stupid, but predictable. Humans are just stupid.
Can I use that as a sig line?
Seriously, in thinking about it, if the truck that hit me had been autonomous the accident likely wouldn't have happened.
01-27-2017, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #32501
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Can I use that as a sig line?
Seriously, in thinking about it, if the truck that hit me had been autonomous the accident likely wouldn't have happened.
Sure. As long as I get royalties on the profits
01-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #32502
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
had a dispute with some former colleagues over the idea of an online teaching lab. I thought about what students learn in labs. Wrote a paper, only cited a few times, not so good for an academic, but used in applications far beyond anything I ever thought. The applications are quite gratifying to show it was more important than I anticipated. Also shows the errors of the cost cutting attitude that leads to the teach by simulations ideas.
I can lecture you all day, draw diagrams, even do videos...but only experience will let you learn to tighten a ceramic toilet flange bolt 1/2 turn before it breaks.

Most any fool can learn that the nasty stuff ( usually brown, or shades of yellow, foul odor, mushy...but I didn't say it!) don't run uphill, but the more tedious tasks are not as simple.

Regards!
01-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #32503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before I'll trust auto-driving cars, I want to see auto-driving trains, passenger and freight, operating accident-free for about five years. It should be FAR easier to manage for trains than cars. AND, unless there is a federal mandate, there will never be 100% AI cars on the road because too many drivers want to go much faster, weave more often, jump traffic lights, and cut off other drivers to put them in their place. People like that, and there are a dreadful lot of them, will never voluntarily purchase a self-driving car. They have too much to prove, driving should be "fun," every road is their racetrack and playground, "making time" is the mark of a good driver, and avoiding "the fuzz" is part of the game.
01-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #32504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The accident rate will probably drop sharply as we eliminate the human factor from driving. An AI will behave a lot more rationally and predictably than us lumps of meat and bone, and even more so if all vehicles are driven by AIs that communicate with each other.

However, when an AI fails it tends to do so in a spectacular way. I think we can look forward to some bizarre accidents, if rare.

All in all, though, I trust machines over humans any day. Computers are stupid, but predictable. Humans are just stupid.

I found I learnt best from the teachers that lectured in a structured way and at a speed that gave me time to do my notes by reformulating what they said in my own words, not just copying verbatim. I guess that sort of fits under your point 1).

But yeah, I agree with all of the above.
humans aren't stupid, they are irrational

we tend to think of people less intelligent than ourselves as stupid
unfortunately most of us think WE are the smartest person in the room

without getting all scifi all the machines and systems I ever worked on were quite sociopathic
their primary function was to function
not to provide the sidecar services that their users thought they were made for

embracing AI seems all the rage
when it is fully evolved what rationality will it possess
the initial design or one of its own making

I think that is a valid question because the smartest people in the room seldom anticipate that they will need to have their actions modified or truncated by some external agent
so you have to ask, what are you as a user willing to give up to live in a connected universe
I suspect it will be more than you foresee
01-27-2017, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #32505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You betcha!