Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.My reasoning behind this is I make a living in photography.I shoot lots of weddings and It seems more people ask on what camera I'am using.I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.They just know canon and nikon.I l was turned down on other major sporting events because I shoot with Pentax.This all happened a few years back and I will admit that some people are starting to recognize that pentax can keep up with the big guys.If Ricoh puts their name in front of the camera I feel it will throw them back to the dark ages..I'am quite happy with my k5s and all my pentax glass and will continue to shoot pentax,but hesitating to by new equiptment because of this matter.I do also own nikon and canon slr's but I'am a pentaxian and as long as it says Pentax on the front of the camera I'am happy.
Now for the most impotant question....Will you buy a K3....for me

10-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #317
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OTOH, people are unusually happy to call a 100% Sony product a "Pentax".
???????????????

Steve
10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought we covered this.

Mitsubishi does not own Nikon. Nikon stock trades publicly, on the NSADAQ in the USA, under the symbol NINOY. Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi keiretsu, which has a major holding of Nikon shares.

Ricoh is part of the Fuyo Group, which FWIW includes Canon and Hitachi. Ricoh stock trades publicly under the symbol RICOY.

Pentax stock does not trade publicly. Pentax is part of Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ricoh Corporation.
You seem to have a good grasp on the way Japanese firms are linked. It might help others if you explain how the Japanese company and interlinked 'group' business system works. I believe the Japanese system have differences, compared to the western style of business.

I myself have only a vague understanding and would appreciate any information.
10-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #319
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
???????????????

Steve
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-full-frame/239826-full-frame-pentax-sony.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/239300...x-lx-sony.html

10-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #320

I will not buy this K-3 because the sensor is not a full frame type ... Thus my good "old" K-5 will survive and still serve me for more than the next few months ... I hope that Pentax will soon realize the wishes of the clients, otherwise it will become less and less ...
10-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought we covered this.

Mitsubishi does not own Nikon. Nikon stock trades publicly, on the NSADAQ in the USA, under the symbol NINOY. Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi keiretsu, which has a major holding of Nikon shares.

Ricoh is part of the Fuyo Group, which FWIW includes Canon and Hitachi. Ricoh stock trades publicly under the symbol RICOY.

Pentax stock does not trade publicly. Pentax is part of Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ricoh Corporation.
If "we" covered this, I obviously slept through that class. If it was in this monster thread, I hope I can be excused if I had a little nap while reading a few of the pages.

I appreciate your insights into how these things are structured, it's something I really don't know much about.
10-18-2013, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #322
Veteran Member

I'm not in a rush to buy the K-3 because my K-5 IIs and pair of K-01 bodies (and my K-7) have me covered ... for now.

I might or might not buy the K-3 at a later date ... but I can chime in on the Ricoh name issue:

My 2 cents is that the Ricoh name doesn't make any more of a "real" difference than the Pentax name.

As someone who has been a working photographer and journalist for close to 15 years and used gear from a variety of brands I can say there will ALWAYS be people who judge a photographer by the brand name of the gear in his hands ... and most of those useless f***tards aren't going to judge a "Pentax" camera any more favorably than a "Ricoh" camera.

The same thing can be said about Olympus, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, or any camera brand that isn't Canon, Nikon, Leica or Hasselblad.

Sure, I don't love the idea of Ricoh - a brand more people associate with copy machines - being plastered on my camera, but Pentax isn't getting much (if any) more respect from the idiotic brand fanboys either.
10-20-2013, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #323
Site Supporter

JJJPhoto's comments about brand snobbery reminded my of a little story I thought I would share. (Apologies in advance for meandering off topic a little, but it is vaguely related to the OP and subsequent discussion.)

My recent acquisition of a K-5 II was influenced by three main things. Fond memories of my Pentax film cameras, the ability to use my old lenses, and last and not least, what I considered to be very good value for money. It's interesting to me that so many people really aren't even aware that there are digital SLR cameras which aren't either Canon or Nikon.

One of my mates has a son who some time ago got a Canon (60D I think) with a couple of kit zoom lenses. He's been having a bit of fun with it and I took my gear around to their house the other day and showed him. Up until the moment he held the K5 in his hand I'm sure he had assumed his Canon was a superior camera ('cause that's what the marketing tells everyone). His first comment was 'wow, that feels solid and really well made' (the comment accompanied by a genuine look of surprise). I have no doubt that when he bought the Canon, he was not even aware that Pentax DSLRs existed.

The point of the story is that in addition to brand snobbery, there is also just a lack of knowledge about options outside the Canikon world. I hope Ricoh can continue to improve the Pentax brand products and strengthen and grow market share. Maybe if they can significantly improve their sales volumes the price of some of those lovely lenses might come down a bit??? Here's hoping....

10-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
Up until the moment he held the K5 in his hand I'm sure he had assumed his Canon was a superior camera ('cause that's what the marketing tells everyone). His first comment was 'wow, that feels solid and really well made' (the comment accompanied by a genuine look of surprise).
I've had that same experience too. But that solid feel is interpreted differently by different people. I've had equally much cases where they say: "Wow! That's heavy for such a small camera!"
10-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #325
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've had that same experience too. But that solid feel is interpreted differently by different people. I've had equally much cases where they say: "Wow! That's heavy for such a small camera!"
Well, I guess you can't please everyone. I bet the K500 is the camera for folks who want light and insubstantial cameras.
10-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #326
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I guess you can't please everyone. I bet the K500 is the camera for folks who want light and insubstantial cameras.
There is a time for both. I love the feel of the K-5, and the battery grip is sometimes welcome for weight and stability. Putting a K-x (or K01) and kit lens in a waist pack and barely noticing it is there has its charms, too.
10-21-2013, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
OMG people... Ricoh SAVED the dying Pentax family of products! WTH is with the vitriol towards Ricoh? It's time to accept Ricoh as our new overlords!

I couldn't care less if Ricoh wiped out the Pentax branding... Pentax is gone and we should be very thankful that Ricoh is carrying on Pentax's great legacy.

And to those who feel 'embarrassed' by owning a camera with the Ricoh branding or feel that even Pentax isn't prestigious enough, one word of advice... go buy a Canon or Nikon!

BTW, I just showed a long time Canon owner the specs on the new K-3 and he is now seriously thinking of selling his Canon equipment to buy into the Ricoh/Pentax family.
Ricoh bought the Pentax camera line from Hoya. If they didn't need the line, the wouldn't have bought it. The fact is, Ricoh killed there 35mm class of cameras decades ago when the went off on a tangent with their version of the K-mount. Would you expect them to do away with the Leica name if the bought Leica or Hasselblad? I don't think Ricoh saved it as much as Hoya had stagnated the camera & lens division.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think Ricoh on the front of the camera won't matter to a new generation of photographers after the old fogies are long gone.
You mean those old fogies that bought Pentax cameras and lenses including the DA LTD, FA LTD and DA* lines as well as vintage glass and bodies which has kept the line around to be of any interest to a company like Ricoh?
10-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #328
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
The K-3 is branded in exactly the same way that my ME Super is. PENTAX on the front of the pentaprism housing and the name of the company (Asahi Opt. Co. - Japan) on the rear under the memo holder. My K2 has Asahi Opt. Co. stamped into the back under the film winder handle, and it also has ASAHI above PENTAX on the front (ASAHI is in smaller letters than PENTAX).

Neither of my Asahi built cameras have Pentax written on them anywhere else apart from the front of the prism housing.

Having the brand name boldly emblazoned on the front and the manufacturers name clearly (but less boldly) on the back of the K-3 seems totally reasonable and consistent with previous practice.
Yeah...but the name on the rear wasn't in white.
10-22-2013, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #329

Im pleased to see both names on the camera. Obviously Pentax belongs on the front as always, but Ricoh is a quality company and make excellent cameras (the Ricoh GR for one). Pentax was dead in the water and Ricoh are doing all they can to save it. This fanboy nonsense has gotta stop.
10-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #330
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by QueRoland Quote
I will not buy this K-3 because the sensor is not a full frame type ... Thus my good "old" K-5 will survive and still serve me for more than the
A few years I hope.......

Love my K-30