Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #32986
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Always remember that being perfectly healthy is just the slowest rate at which we die. As you say - best to get on with it and try to make the most of every day.
Remember, also, that the ideal bank balance to have on the day you die is $0.00.

02-11-2017, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #32987
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not a religious person...but have strong religious beliefs...if you can make any sense of that? Not going into it here, or anywhere else for that matter. Mrs Rupert is a strong religious person and we have near total agreement on our views. For me living without worry is not difficult, though I have some of the same questions as most, but not the anxiety.
Mostly I think in terms of the people I loved so much, already gone, and how I miss them. So short.....isn't it? Just being here is a miracle of indescribable proportion....we seldom think of that? We might have been squirrels....that's sort of scary, but it doesn't bother the squirrels even a little.

Regards!....Off to my nightly glass of red wine.....maybe an extra half glass because it's Saturday! Was very strange to run the AC a while today, in the middle of Feb...it got within a degree of 90F. Hope to sleep well...and wake up! Hope you all do too......in particular the "wake up" part!
02-11-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #32988
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hope to sleep well...and wake up!
02-11-2017, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #32989
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
What we need here is some bacon McBobs!
Now that's living life to the fullest!

02-12-2017, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #32990
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Those of you from civilization will remember a man, now rather old and just as amusing as ever, called Geoffrey Boycott. I remember seeing him before he retired at the Adelaide Oval on a day when it was about 100F and about 3pm he had gone 45 minutes without scoring (one of his typical performances which he now trades on in his complaints about English cricketers lacking grit).

The crowd, being Australian, clapped slowly and chanted "have a go you mug". In life, have a go, do not be a spectator.
02-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #32991
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Later England got an opener named Chris Tavare. At the WACA in late 1982 he went 90 minutes without scoring. According to one of my friends who is a friend of Chris Tavares' brother, who was a good rugby player, Chris' natural batting style was to get on with it. He played dogged because he could and the team needed it at the time.

Rugby for our American friends is like NFL played with the courage to not wear the body armour and hard hats.
02-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #32992
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rugby for our American friends is like NFL played with the courage to not wear the body armour and hard hats.
Yeah, the NFL is just a bunch of sissies in helmets!

Regards!

Real bravery is trusting your life to the strength of a tiny screw....

02-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #32993
Veteran Member

Yeah, the NFL is just a bunch of sissies in helmets

Glad you can admit it. What you play is misnamed anyway. Football you play with your feet and no use of hands allowed. Probably he most popular sport in the world challenged only by the aforementioned cricket
02-12-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #32994
Veteran Member

I was going to avoid this one...however....soccer and cricket...really?

I have never understood the allure of spectator sports much less the professional variety

football here comes in two and half modes...tackle and touch/flag
when we were kids we played tackle football in the street because it was the only consistently flat space we could find
between road rash injuries, broken bones and kids hit by cars it was the ultimate contact sport
we actually called it KILL not football
a single game would have kids from 8 or 9 to young adults
they came from all the surrounding neighborhoods
the street became a kind of DMZ
mercy might be shown but never asked for
no protective gear whatsoever

we also played baseball in the same streets
not stickball like back east
since we had to pay for the broken windows we mastered the fine art of the line drive in a hurry
pitchers spent a lot of time ducking or bleeding

I've watched soccer and cricket
honestly they seem more boring than basketball
i'd rather watch golf
02-12-2017, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #32995
Veteran Member

I thought this might be post worthy.
A local bbq joint is featuring it:
•Texas hot rib meat, refried black beans, roasted corn and red pepper relish, pickled red onions, lettuce all in a tortilla wrapped in bacon and fried!

02-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #32996
Veteran Member

Texas hot rib meat, refried black beans, roasted corn and red pepper relish, pickled red onions, lettuce all in a tortilla wrapped in bacon and fried!
What a fantastic low calorie meal for a lunch break.....I need to put one of those in Mrs Rupert's little "Kitty Box"........(Yep, I know what you're thinkin'...... but don't do it! ) Otis is still laughing!

Regards!
02-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #32997
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yeah, the NFL is just a bunch of sissies in helmets!

Actually, I've always viewed 'pro' football players as a bunch of steroid pumped over developed homos. Really. How many normal men do you know who go around grabbing each other on the butt?

None?

I didn't think so.
02-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #32998
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I was going to avoid this one...however....soccer and cricket...really?

I have never understood the allure of spectator sports much less the professional variety

football here comes in two and half modes...tackle and touch/flag
when we were kids we played tackle football in the street because it was the only consistently flat space we could find
between road rash injuries, broken bones and kids hit by cars it was the ultimate contact sport
we actually called it KILL not football
a single game would have kids from 8 or 9 to young adults
they came from all the surrounding neighborhoods
the street became a kind of DMZ
mercy might be shown but never asked for
no protective gear whatsoever

we also played baseball in the same streets
not stickball like back east
since we had to pay for the broken windows we mastered the fine art of the line drive in a hurry
pitchers spent a lot of time ducking or bleeding

I've watched soccer and cricket
honestly they seem more boring than basketball
i'd rather watch golf

There we will differ I played us style football in school, I'd rather play rugby , soccer took me time to understand the flow and the rules but once I did (at 17) I preferred it. Much harder to play needs a much higher level of fitness (like basketball I guess but I still don't get that game) cricket I pref r to baseball which I hank is the second most boring sport to watch or play (next to golf) I played cricket a bit it is a little more elegant than baseball but i still find it dull (and I work at a cricket club)
From a watching (as opposed to playing) viewpoint it's soccer(football) and Hockey ...similar in many ways
I watch rugby occasionally . I love watching skiing (of any sort but I did it for a living and competed in freestyle in the 70s ) so I have a bias on that one .
02-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #32999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Actually, I've always viewed 'pro' football players as a bunch of steroid pumped over developed homos. Really. How many normal men do you know who go around grabbing each other on the butt?
You need to add......"not that there is anything wrong with that!" PC police will gun you down if you don't! Believe me, you don't want to be a guest down in the basement here.....it is inhumane to the MAX!

Regards!
02-12-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #33000
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought this might be post worthy.
A local bbq joint is featuring it:
•Texas hot rib meat, refried black beans, roasted corn and red pepper relish, pickled red onions, lettuce all in a tortilla wrapped in bacon and fried!
I don't know. I think you health freaks take it a step or two too far sometimes...
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »