02-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #33091
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I did about the same thing and the results were similar

fortunately I was still drinking in those days
over-self medication apparently allowed me to get by it all
including remembering much beyond "you might feel this" and "come back in a week or so"
Did hemorrhoid surgery in a Doc's office once too...almost as stupid as the wisdom teeth. It pushed that "I can take it" to the max! It's not really a macho thing, it's a fear factor.....people die in hospitals at alarming rates. If you can stay out of hospitals you improve your chances. In the Doc's office, while he is cutting away down there and you are wide awake, there is not much chance he is going to cut off the wrong part.

Regards!

02-14-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #33092
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a friend told me that I would never let a proctologist work on me for fear he would steal my soul

that's the kind of friends I have?!?
02-14-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #33093
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
a friend told me that I would never let a proctologist work on me for fear he would steal my soul

that's the kind of friends I have?!?
If a friend comes back from the bathroom after doing number two instead of number one, you can remark, "Well, that's the best part of you gone."
02-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #33094
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If a friend comes back from the bathroom after doing number two instead of number one, you can remark, "Well, that's the best part of you gone."

That reminds me.....Otis has cautioned me about talking stock and stock market stuff here. He just read your post and said to me....

"Rupert, you don't want to be responsible if someone makes a bad investment based on your "advice" or "ramblings". People here hang on your every word and have full and solid confidence in all that you say on this forum.....which gives you a heavy burden of responsibility to not mislead in any way, which of course, you don't. People need to be able to continue to have complete and total trust and confidence in all you say here, your honest as Abe stories, and your vast knowledge and wisdom."

That Otis! Always right!

Regards!

02-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #33095
Pentaxian

Everyone, thank you for your responses to my saga. For a while in the evening I was really miserable. Now it is 0108 and I have improved somewhat. I will judge in the morning, when it gets light, what I am up for for the day. Maybe a visit to my office, although shorter than normal.

Wisdom teeth are notoriously difficult. Mine are still in, caused me little trouble, except a couple have fillings. One of those, done by one of my now, but not at the time of the work, deceased dentists did fail when I was Albuquerque NM, soon after I took the picture of the billboard "Blake's lotaburger, who needs salad", which a friend in Singapore used in a public health talk her was giving. I emailed a friend who practices the dark art of dentistry to arrange an appointment for when I got back. He is still alive.

Under NHS the series of jobs done now has cost about GBP54 for the visit that was meant to be RCT but was decision to extract and the two visits related to extraction. Good value for my insurance premium that I had to pay as a temporary resident here. The next one will probably be private, so I pay. The indicative price still sounds cheap compared to the after insurance benefit price in Australia. And no complaints about the skill and manner of the dentists. And the teamwork with the assistant was excellent.
02-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #33096
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
"Rupert, you don't want to be responsible if someone makes a bad investment based on your "advice" or "ramblings". People here hang on your every word and have full and solid confidence in all that you say on this forum.....which gives you a heavy burden of responsibility to not mislead in any way, which of course, you don't. People need to be able to continue to have complete and total trust and confidence in all you say here, your honest as Abe stories, and your vast knowledge and wisdom."
Like your sensor cleaning "advice" over on the forum that shall not be named?
02-14-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #33097
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Wisdom teeth are notoriously difficult.
I always wondered who named them dumb sumbritches Wisdom teeth.
Only 3 of mine came in, removed years back, all at the same time, first time I was ever "knocked out"
Fear the "dry socket" they say, thankfully I didn't get any.

02-14-2017, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #33098
Veteran Member

On another note dinner fought back tonight

02-14-2017, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #33099
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Everyone, thank you for your responses to my saga. For a while in the evening I was really miserable. Now it is 0108 and I have improved somewhat. I will judge in the morning, when it gets light, what I am up for for the day. Maybe a visit to my office, although shorter than normal.
You need some of this.

Take a shot, or two, once every hour or more, as needed. Take each shot slowly, sipping, and roll each sip around the site of the dental work, allowing the 'medicine' to soak in and do its work.

As noted, repeat as needed, or more often, whichever comes first.

You can thank me when you get my bill.

Under NHS the series of jobs done now has cost about GBP54 for the visit that was meant to be RCT but was decision to extract and the two visits related to extraction. Good value for my insurance premium that I had to pay as a temporary resident here. The next one will probably be private, so I pay. The indicative price still sounds cheap compared to the after insurance benefit price in Australia. And no complaints about the skill and manner of the dentists. And the teamwork with the assistant was excellent.
May I ask what the premiums are?
02-14-2017, 09:18 PM - 3 Likes   #33100
Pentaxian

Grilling night for V-Day... Nice NY strips, sautéed shrooms, and garlic mashed taters... Tasty!

Dessert was my attempt at culinary art - turned out well for first attempt

Last edited by RoxnDox; 09-29-2017 at 10:48 PM.
02-14-2017, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #33101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You need some of this.

Take a shot, or two, once every hour or more, as needed. Take each shot slowly, sipping, and roll each sip around the site of the dental work, allowing the 'medicine' to soak in and do its work.

Currently the health insurance premium required to get a temporary residence visa in UK is GBP200 for each year of the life of the visa, to be paid in USD equivalent, at the time of visa application, refundable(I think) if the application is unsuccessful - the fee for visa processing is paid separately, also in USD, is non-refundable and the amount depends on the exact class of visa.

The insurance premium payment gets me: GP visit cover, hospital events (all the stuff normally classed as 'medical'), free at point of delivery, dental cover with a copayment in one of three categories (small, medium, large, RCT and extractions are in the medium category), prescribed medicines at GBP8.40 per item (unless you fall into a category entitle to free, which a temporary resident cannot fall into for other reasons), and various other services I have not had reason to explore yet. Citizens and permanent residents get these services without payment of an insurance premium just for being here and participating in the local economy, doing things such as paying tax. The other part of this system is that the government is the monopoly employer and supplier of these services, so the cost is what the government declare it to be - no open ended 'think of a number' pricing by doctors.

Last year I tried Laphroaig and some of its competitors. L was one of the better ones, but I preferred Singleton.

The instructions I was provided with in writing ban the consumption of alcohol for the next week or so, something to do with enabling the healing of the surface of the wound.

---------- Post added 02-15-17 at 05:26 PM ----------

Now it is morning. I got enough sleep last night, in two bunches, following the 18th century literary idea of first sleep, gap of wakefulness, followed again by more sleep. I will go to work a bit late today because the day finishes late for me.

Thank you everyone for the entertaining interactions with my saga. Updates to come, since it is not finished.

Last edited by tim60; 02-14-2017 at 11:53 PM.
02-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #33102
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Grilling night for V-Day... Nice NY strips, sautéed shrooms, and garlic mashed taters... Tasty!

Dessert was my attempt at culinary art - turned out well for first attempt
Are those cherry tomatoes?
02-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #33103
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently the health insurance premium required to get a temporary residence visa in UK is GBP200 for each year of the life of the visa, to be paid in USD equivalent, at the time of visa application, refundable(I think) if the application is unsuccessful - the fee for visa processing is paid separately, also in USD, is non-refundable and the amount depends on the exact class of visa.

The insurance premium payment gets me: GP visit cover, hospital events (all the stuff normally classed as 'medical'), free at point of delivery, dental cover with a copayment in one of three categories (small, medium, large, RCT and extractions are in the medium category), prescribed medicines at GBP8.40 per item (unless you fall into a category entitle to free, which a temporary resident cannot fall into for other reasons), and various other services I have not had reason to explore yet. Citizens and permanent residents get these services without payment of an insurance premium just for being here and participating in the local economy, doing things such as paying tax. The other part of this system is that the government is the monopoly employer and supplier of these services, so the cost is what the government declare it to be - no open ended 'think of a number' pricing by doctors.
That actually sounds like a decent system.

Except that you are living there and spending into the local economy like everyone else. And you have to pay an extra premium.

How does the system work where you are from (Australia, right?)?
02-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #33104
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The instructions I was provided with in writing ban the consumption of alcohol for the next week or so, something to do with enabling the healing of the surface of the wound.

Life isn't fair sometimes.

I'll take your dose then.
02-15-2017, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #33105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You need some of this.

There's too many new pages since last time i was on for me to read everything in detail. but I saw a bottle of Laphroaig (did i spell that right?), so i'm in!