Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #33121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My wife makes great lasagna. And it is layered. Plus all our pasta sauce is homemade. Sometimes with tomatoes that we grow ourselves depending upon the harvest. In our young and energetic days we used to can 40 quarts (38 liters) or more a year. Now mostly made from canned whole tomatoes from the grocery store. Just had some last night.
I have some kind of lasagne curse, where whenever i make lasagne, there's always too few lasagne noodles, and i don't realize this until it's halfway constructed. But my mom makes the best lasagne ever, with (call me a heathen) riccotta-feta-spinach cream instead of bechamel sauce, and no meat, just tons of roasted veggies.

As far as the scotch discussion, i'm partial to talisker, but too poor (and to fond of whisky) to complain if you put a glass of something else in front of me.

02-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #33122
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
As far as the scotch discussion, i'm partial to talisker, but too poor (and to fond of whisky) to complain if you put a glass of something else in front of me.
Works for me....

Shines shoes!

Almost heaven!

Heaven!

Regards!
02-15-2017, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #33123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure Otis would do the same.
02-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #33124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Heaven!

I thought you didn't like snow??

02-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #33125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I am now in possession of three partial bottles of hard liquor. Tullamore D.E.W., Johnnie Walker Black and Balvenie (12 year old). Which gets imbibed first? Which should I savor for special occasions with special people? Which one should I drink in honor of my late son. He was son, brother, uncle, warrior and friend to more people than I ever imagined. I am not a hard liquor aficionado so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gaweidert; 02-15-2017 at 02:25 PM.
02-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #33126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm sure Otis would do the same.
Yep, and Otis has a whole damn Army of Squirrels! A few of them have practiced on me a time or two.....

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I thought you didn't like snow??
You know, I might could get used to it?

Regards!
02-15-2017, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #33127
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I was saddened to read the post in another thread about your son. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

Okay, I am now in possession of three partial bottles of hard liquor. Tullamore D.E.W., Johnnie Walker Black and Balvenie (12 year old). Which gets imbibed first? Which should I savor for special occasions with special people? Which one should I drink in honor of my late son. He was son, brother, uncle, warrior and friend to more people than I ever imagined. I am not a hard liquor aficionado so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Set up a shot of each, side by side. Then toast with each, making sure to savor the first taste, then pour out the remainder on the ground to honor your son.

Celebrate his life.

02-15-2017, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #33128
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I was saddened to read the post in another thread about your son. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

Set up a shot of each, side by side. Then toast with each, making sure to savor the first taste, then pour out the remainder on the ground to honor your son.

Celebrate his life.
Likewise - I only just became aware of it when Racer mentioned it. Please accept my condolences.
02-15-2017, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #33129
Pentaxian

Are those cherry tomatoes?
Yep. Grapes, cherry toms, and clementines (or as we call them, micro-oranges). One of those things you get from the random stuff facebook throws up.

02-15-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #33130
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That actually sounds like a decent system.

Except that you are living there and spending into the local economy like everyone else. And you have to pay an extra premium.

How does the system work where you are from (Australia, right?)?
Australia, medical and other except dentists have Medicare, where the government pays a certain amount for each type of service and the doctor is allowed to think of a number for their price. Can result in quite high payments for which there is not allowed to be insurance. Dentists, except for extreme poor people who go to teaching places go to a dentist whose hard work is thinking of a number for the price. Private insurance, in Australia bought in a market where insurers market to consumers, not employers, does make payments that feel stingy in comparison to the benefit received. And the premium, priced on a whole community risk, not individual history based risk, basis, by law, is likely to be AUD2000 to 3000 p.a. for dentist, other elated health, private hospitals etc.

My next appointment next week is private so I pay 100%, but get it done soon, not 3 to 4 months, which would be traumatic. The whole deal would be cheaper than my after insurance payment in Australia.
02-15-2017, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #33131
Closed Account

Which one should I drink in honor of my late son. He was son, brother, uncle, warrior and friend to more people than I ever imagined.
I am also very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. Thinking of you and your family during this tough time. Whichever drink or drinks you decide on buddy, sip it, and savour it.
02-16-2017, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #33132
Veteran Member

Sorry for your loss.

The correct liquor to go for is the one that makes your mouth fill with warm, tasty fire. If that doesn't work, just drink enough of something else that the Johnnie Walker tastes like vanilla sauce, then partake.
02-16-2017, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #33133
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@gaweidert - My heartfelt condolences; this is very sad news.

It sounds like your son's life is one to be celebrated, and a wee nip of something excellent seems eminently appropriate.
02-16-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #33134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I have some kind of lasagne curse, where whenever i make lasagne, there's always too few lasagne noodles, and i don't realize this until it's halfway constructed. But my mom makes the best lasagne ever, with (call me a heathen) riccotta-feta-spinach cream instead of bechamel sauce, and no meat, just tons of roasted veggies.

the Italian neighbor who taught my mom to make lasagna used ricotta as well
even going so far as modifying cottage cheese to approximate ricotta

cooking is like photography in that regard
if you like the result...you did it right
02-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #33135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
cooking is like photography in that regard
if you like the result...you did it right
I'm not a big lasagna fan.....it's OK. I often eat this out of the can...just grab a spoon and go for it! You can find it at Amazon in the "Gourmet Food Section". Delicious stuff for breakfast too! Lots more on Amazon.....the place to shop for everything...and with Amazon Prime it is delivered to your door quick on a big fast Boeing jet! Not a plug for Amazon or Boeing....just sayin'!!!

Name:  Ravioli.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  200.5 KB

If you take the time to empty it into a bowl and top with 2-3 slices of Velveeta and bacon bits you have a meal that is unforgettable! Microwave 40 seconds....you're done!
Regards!