Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #33436
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Been a bit of a busy weekend. Went to the cricket yesterday. South Africa vs New Zealand, ODI 3 of 5 - South Africa lead series 2-1.
Score: South Africa 271/8 (50) vs New Zealand 112/10 (32.2). South Africa won by 159 runs.

Here's Imran Tahir bowling. (Mohammad Imran Tahir, Pakistani born South African cricketer)

So you are happy!

02-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #33437
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And people poo poo circle track racing.

It's easy they say. Anyone can drive in a circle.

Sure.
Best article I have read about how it works, thanks Racer! It did end my dreams of being a race car driver in my Jeep Wrangler....a rolling box that reacts to the least bit of wind from either side...or the front. Around 17-18 years ago we went to LA in the Jeep Wrangler. At Odessa a wind of almost 50 mph came in from the West coast and plagued us the entire trip. Pedal on the metal could barely get me 55 mph. At night it died down, but in the daytime it was awesome bad. Lots of more aerodynamic trimmed big trucks could easily pass me. Tough trip...but coming home those same winds pushed me along as fast as I wanted to go!

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
the one thing I actually miss is smoking
Not me, when I quit I never missed it at all...and was totally surprised that I didn't. I will admit that every so often I get a craving for a big fat black cigar, the kind that stinks to high heaven. I never smoke them, but do think about it. If the opportunity comes on my death bed, I'm gonna smoke one!

Regards!

It was a cool day yesterday...only got around 58F but the light was so brilliant that you could work up a sweat just standing in it. Too bright to shoot much of anything.......in particular reds that blow out just looking at them anyhow.

Processed a long time just to get a half usable shot....

Oh yeah...no photo talk here.....S#*cks, I forgot! (Taking no chances!)

Regards!
02-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #33438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
At tracks like Daytona and Talladega the speeds are very high. At one point racing vehicles were exceeding 230 miles an hour. In the interest of safety something had to be done.

So the engines are restricted for power output by the use of a restrictor plate between the throttle body and the intake manifold. It had the desired effect, and reduced speeds dramatically.

But it created a different situation.

The draft.

Side drafting.

As a driver mid pack gets a bit of a pull from the rigs ahead of him (or her) he moves alongside to pass. This causes changes to how the air moves over each vehicle, creating more drag on the driver getting passed, and less on the one doing the passing.

In a circle.

Whoever gets in front owns the track, but watch as they work the traffic behind them. There are spotters who coach them on the radio, letting the driver know where other drivers are, if one is trying to make a move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've said this before, that if you were riding passenger in one of these things, and you reached out and pushed on the rear fender of the car next to you, it would take little or no effort to cause it to spin out. That is how close to the edge they are running.

And people poo poo circle track racing.

It's easy they say. Anyone can drive in a circle.

Sure.

The youtube made it look like a footballer who is trying to get through the pack by trying to bounce opponents out of the way.

So they could make it a lot safer by putting both left and right bends of varying radii in the track, like for F1, touring cars and other similar codes. That would stop the build up of draft effects.That would result in every track being significantly different increasing the track tuning requirements for each car going to the next rack in the series.
02-26-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #33439
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Been a bit of a busy weekend. Went to the cricket yesterday. South Africa vs New Zealand, ODI 3 of 5 - South Africa lead series 2-1.
Score: South Africa 271/8 (50) vs New Zealand 112/10 (32.2). South Africa won by 159 runs.

Here's Imran Tahir bowling. (Mohammad Imran Tahir, Pakistani born South African cricketer)
Feeding the schizophrenic side of youreself again?

Sorry, I guess that should be sides...

02-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #33440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Feeding the schizophrenic side of youreself again?

Sorry, I guess that should be sides...

At least he will not be silly like a soccer fan, doing something to get arrested, found guilty and wind up with a criminal record for, just because the rich man's colourfully clad staff lost a game. He can say "my side won" regardless of who won AND if his side does not win it would be a TIE which would be exciting because of its rarity - so it would be a happy day anyway.
02-26-2017, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #33441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
i'm not a meeting guy...genetic predisposition probably

when I quit

I had to quit everything and it sucked

I was lucky to be loved by someone who tolerated the transition..i'm not sure I would have

the one thing I actually miss is smoking

anyway...meetings work for most folks,,,so keep going and have a good life

Most meetings did not work for me I'm an atheist with a predisposition for getting my back up. This one does i didn't do steps (consciously anyway) I had quit previously and saw where I was headed and decided I needed to get a little non judgmental support . It worked I mainly hang around now because I made friends and to provide support to new people because I know how they felt. No gauntlet of fake welcomes at out meeting no pamphlets and books rammed down your throats day one, just support . More like a group therapy session run by the inmates lol
02-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #33442
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
At least he will not be silly like a soccer fan, doing something to get arrested, found guilty and wind up with a criminal record for, just because the rich man's colourfully clad staff lost a game. He can say "my side won" regardless of who won AND if his side does not win it would be a TIE which would be exciting because of its rarity - so it would be a happy day anyway.
True. The whole notion of seeing a gang of overpaid narcissists as "my team" and living out your entire arsenal of emotions based on whether said gang wins or loses a silly children's game is rather bizarre.

Of course, opposed to most other games cricket can be fun to watch. It's the only sport other than chess I have spent an entire day watching on the telly. Not that there are that many sports where two sides play each other all day - for several days straight

02-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #33443
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
True. The whole notion of seeing a gang of overpaid narcissists as "my team" and living out your entire arsenal of emotions based on whether said gang wins or loses a silly children's game is rather bizarre.

Of course, opposed to most other games cricket can be fun to watch. It's the only sport other than chess I have spent an entire day watching on the telly. Not that there are that many sports where two sides play each other all day - for several days straight

I have watched cricket likewise.

As for other sports, there is dressage. I lack a taste for watching dressage, never having learned enough about it to appreciate what the participants have learned to do.
02-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #33444
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So they could make it a lot safer by putting both left and right bends of varying radii in the track, like for F1, touring cars and other similar codes. That would stop the build up of draft effects.That would result in every track being significantly different increasing the track tuning requirements for each car going to the next rack in the series.
The stock car guys do that twice a year.

Watkins Glen in upstate New York, and Sears Point in California.

It is great fun to watch. Of course since I am a road racer myself, those two races hold a special place in my heart.

{NOT MY PICTURES}

I guess they think that two wheels make for faster lap times.

The Trans AM guys put on a better show, but then they don't go in circles, as road racing is what Trans AM is all about.
02-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #33445
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....Not me, when I quit I never missed it at all...and was totally surprised that I didn't. I will admit that every so often I get a craving for a big fat black cigar, the kind that stinks to high heaven. I never smoke them, but do think about it. If the opportunity comes on my death bed, I'm gonna smoke one!...
a friend from NYC ate little aa petri cigars...they smelled and looked like puppy poo...but they left his hands free to do what little work he actually performed

one night in the bar I lit one up...surprisingly good smoke for it's aromatic deficiency
the only thing I ever smoked that smelled worse was some Turkish ovals
we were working at a tobacconist and he thought us weak-ass kids needed some growin' up
my god they reeked

cigar smoking was risky business where I worked
one of the grownups would chime...it must be going to rain...the pigs are carrying sticks in their mouths...whenever someone lit up
if you did it in the middle of a card game you were like as not going to get your shins kicked to bloody tatters
02-26-2017, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #33446
Veteran Member

This thread is getting long on BS, and short on bacon and cheese.
and onion, and pepper, and tomato.

02-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #33447
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've smoked a few Havanas in my life. Good smokin' for sure. Smooth and mild. Never was a cigar smoker of significance, or pipe either. Tried a pipe for a few months once but got tired of the hassle of keeping it clean.

Smokers around don't bother me, but they don't entice me to smoke at all. No more odor in my clothes or holes in shirts!

Regards!

---------- Post added 02-26-17 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
This thread is getting long on BS,
Don't cut short on your wording......just say it out in full! I'll watch over your sandwich while you are down in the basement.....you can count on me!

Regards!
02-26-2017, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #33448
Veteran Member

Don't cut short on your wording......just say it out in full
Get away from the computer Otis before Rupert catches you!
02-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #33449
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The youtube made it look like a footballer who is trying to get through the pack by trying to bounce opponents out of the way.
Another way that describes the conditions at speed.

The cars are dancing at the limits of adhesion to the racing surface. Drivers must carefully ride on the ragged edge of grip. Even the tiniest change in steering input or throttle make huge changes in the attitude of the car.

And every tiny bit of movement of one car affects the movement of several others around it. Each of those drivers is doing the same, and the impacts of their movements having similar affect to other cars and on and on.

Keep in mind that in the 500 today there are 40 cars at the start.

At the moment they are nearing 20 laps in. Six cars have made a single file breakaway. Thirty three cars are running in a two car wide pack and one driver, Joey Logano is struggling with an ill handling car. He fell out of the draft and is in danger of getting lapped by the field.

Classic restrictor plate racing on a high speed super speedway.
02-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #33450
Pentaxian

I've smoked a few Havanas in my life. Good smokin' for sure. Smooth and mild. Never was a cigar smoker of significance, or pipe either. Tried a pipe for a few months once but got tired of the hassle of keeping it clean.

Smokers around don't bother me, but they don't entice me to smoke at all. No more odor in my clothes or holes in shirts!

Regards!

---------- Post added 02-26-17 at 01:46 PM ----------

Don't cut short on your wording......just say it out in full! I'll watch over your sandwich while you are down in the basement.....you can count on me!

Regards!

Rupert, will you keep watching while it goes mouldy while he is down in the basement, having the medieval tour experience.

Surely (or Shirley) you would not let that happen and have it go to waste.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »