02-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #33511
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bacon cooker?

02-28-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #33512
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That's one way to do it. Of course, cheap "food" seems to consist of mostly fat and sugar, so I'm not sure limiting the food budget necessarily is the best way.

Besides, how much food do you need with the beer consumption of an average student?
Let me rephrase: i'd recommend living on a student food budget and not getting scurvy.

As an answer to your question: depends how many calories you burn on wild shenanigans as a result of beer consumption.
02-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #33513
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Bacon cooker?
Well hell! I checked my Amazon orders (took a while...I buy lots on Amazon!) and the damn thing hasn't even shipped yet! Says it should ship 3/6. It was supposed to ship along with those airplanes......still flying?... or did the cat get them all?

Name:  Bacon Cooker.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  38.7 KB

Happy frying!

Regards!

BTW- Amazon is at $853+ this morning.....Mrs Rupert is now $6K ahead since purchased late last year....What I purchased for my Mom (at $35. cheaper than I paid for Mrs Ruperts) is $24K ahead! Target price is still $940. so it's not too late to get in on the ride! Just sayin'....certainly not advising, I leave all that sort of thing to Otis!
Buy something on Amazon.......help Mrs Rupert and my Mom!
02-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #33514
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Let me rephrase: i'd recommend living on a student food budget and not getting scurvy.
Oranges and other citrus prevent scurvy.

Just ask the explorers who sailed the World's oceans in the time of Christopher Columbus and Leif Erikson.

And citrus is good for you too.

02-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #33515
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's my method. I am tracking calories, heart rate, exercise, steps, etc. That's what I need to do. Bought a Fitbit Charge 2 and it has made me grab stairs more, walk more, and pass up on seconds and portion sizes. I am 40, weigh 270 pounds, and need to lose the weight. Here's a screenshot of my calorie tracking from yesterday. The doc says I should weigh 170ish (I am 6'2") and that I am 100 pounds overweight. Now I am not sure that 170 is doable, but I know that 270 is not sustainable for me if I want to be healthy.
Attached Images

02-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #33516
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I think I'm going to start giving my weight in kg's.
Don't you guys use stone? Or was it logs, rocks, and pebbles?
02-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #33517
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... I'm feeling quite elated today

After 26 years of working in banking and technology in London, I left the rat-race behind in late 2014 and returned to my home town in the North East. I haven't pursued any work since (in fact, I've actively turned it down), on the basis that - if I handled my finances carefully - I could get by reasonably well for a good number of years.

Recently, my oldest and closest friend - a fella I pretty much grew up with - also left his very-long-term job with a large multi-national corporation, and he's now working full time in a company he's been a director of for a few years. It's a small, young, very forward-thinking and increasingly successful software firm building (in my opinion) very impressive applications for the education sector. It has a good but primarily regional customer base right now, that's just starting to expand nationally and - potentially - internationally.

Well, for years we've been talking on-and-off about working on some stuff together, and after several recent discussions I had a long meeting today with my friend and his co-director. We've agreed that I'm going to get involved with them and work on their latest project. It's a really interesting system, for a sector that's completely new to me. And I'll be going right back to my early roots in software development - only this time, using new languages and tools for web development.

I'm really excited to be working with my best buddy, in a small, young company, doing something I loved so many years ago but with new and (currently) unfamiliar tools. To begin with, the money is going to be laughable compared to my previous work - but I actually don't care. It's way more than I've earned since late 2014 and I finally get a chance to build stuff with my friend. It's awesome

I'm sure this sounds completely boring to a lot of you good folks, but I'm buzzing about it
Great! I'm a bit too fond of getting that monthly paycheck, but I would love to get off the tread mill and find something more meaningful (to me and, ideally, to society) to do. Good to see someone who did take that step

It's been long time since I've been excited about a job and looked forward to going to work.
You're not alone... It's not that I have a bad job. It's reasonably well paid, it even has a potential for being interesting. It's just that we are infected with the same sickness that most other organisations are - too many people wanting to be boss, and most of them aren't competent of much more than tying their shoelaces - if that. Why couldn't they just become lawyers like the rest?

02-28-2017, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #33518
Veteran Member

Why couldn't they just become lawyers like the rest?
Why are lawyers buried at ten feet down instead of the traditional six feet?
Because deep down they are good people.
02-28-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #33519
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Why are lawyers buried at ten feet down instead of the traditional six feet?
Because deep down they are good people.
I doubt you can measure that deep in feet
02-28-2017, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #33520
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Come on, now. They aren't all bad.
It's only 99% of them that give the other 1% a bad name.
02-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #33521
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Generous estimate, but yes, you do have a point.
02-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #33522
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and I found this short video quite efficient for killing my apetite. Possibly preferable to a diet of water and gruel.

02-28-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #33523
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

From "Plains, Trains and Automobiles":

Neal: Excuse me. I know this is your cab, but I'm desperately late for a plane, and I was wondering if I could appeal to your good nature and ask you to let me have it.
New York Lawyer: I don't have a good nature. Excuse me. Cabbie, come on.
Neal: I'll offer you 10 dollars for it.
New York Lawyer: [scoffs] Nuh!
Neal: Okay, 20! I'll give you 20 dollars.
New York Lawyer: I'll take 50.
Neal: [Neal pauses, then begins to take money out] All right.
New York Lawyer: Anyone who'd pay 50 dollars for a cab, would certainly pay 75.
Neal: Not necessarily...
[reluctantly agreeing]
Neal: All right. $75. You're a thief!
New York Lawyer: Close, I'm an attorney.
Neal: Have a happy holiday.
New York Lawyer: This'll help!
02-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #33524
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and I found this short video quite efficient for killing my apetite. Possibly preferable to a diet of water and gruel.

hopping av Svolværgeita - YouTube
I can't begin to tell you how much weight I would lose just by evacuating my bowels if I was up on that rock with that fella. I'd be light as a feather. I do not like heights!
02-28-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #33525
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm sure this sounds completely boring to a lot of you good folks, but I'm buzzing about it
Nope, not at all boring. I love to see people take the leap and find happiness and fulfillment in their work. In my life I have worked everything...from dishwasher to police dept...from salesman to manager...from retail sales to wholesale buyer...from carpenter to plumber....and a lot of other stuff in between.

In '78 I had a good paying job as a service mgr for a housing dealer and when he became drug addicted I left as soon as our youngest son graduated college in '88. It took a leap of faith as Mrs Rupert did not have a high paying job at the time. We were almost broke from college bills, but no one owed any college debt....and we were debt free. Within 2 years I was making more than at my old job......but MUCH more importantly, I loved my work and my customers....was happy ever after!
My business contacts led to Mrs Rupert's job around 2000, and she has been there ever since. She makes more than the average plumber now....and hopefully will keep making it until she is 80....at which time I will insist she retire!

Yep, if a person can find their niche in employment the rewards are fantastic! I had good bosses and bad, and worked for good companies and not so good....getting it right makes all the difference in the other part of your life. Too often our personal life suffers because of our job...and that should never happen!

Regards & the best of luck to you.....you are excited, that is the first step in your success!