Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #33541
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Who wants to give up bacon...and chicken fried steak?
Garden burgers are great with some grilled onions on a ciabatta with coarse ground mustard and avocado.

And a beer.

If you wish.

02-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #33542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've held pretty steady at 250 lbs. and been ok with that since my doctor never says "you need to lose some weight" even though I know it would be beneficial.
I'm 6' 3" or would be if the osteoarthritis in my neck would let me put my head in a full upright position.
I agree with Rupert, the less exercise you get, the less you want to get.
Age, retirement, and physical aches and pains also play a part.
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #33543
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, you do.

Yes, you are.

Yes, it is.

You can do it.

All that is required is that you have to want it.

Easy.

No, it isn't.

A tragic thing about modern society is the sedentary lifestyle that automation has given us. And our bodies aren't designed to carry the extra load. I know how you are feeling. After college I worked in an office environment. When I would get home at day's end I barely had enough energy to fix dinner, let alone exercise. And after sitting at a desk all day I really needed to get some. And even though I moved to a blue collar job after only a few years, it was difficult to keep the pounds from piling on. I went from a skinny 130lbs to 150, 170, 190, 210 . . . . . . . When I started approaching 220 I got scared. About 3 years ago I hit 240.

That was it.

I've made it down to 180, and my goal is 160. But the last 3 months convalescing after foot surgery has made it difficult. I'm back up to 195, but I got the go ahead to wean off the cast boot today from the foot doc, and increased activity is on the agenda.

So good luck Scotty, I'm pulling for ya!
I kept the final total under 2,000 calories again. I also plan on getting to where I can get myself to 100 pushups and crunches again. Right now I am back down to only being able to do about 40 each. I imagine if I get this done not only will my 36 inch waist pants not be tight any more, but I will need a belt (or have to buy new ones), but I want to get into shape to do some real hiking this summer.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
You can do it Scotty, I'll challenge you, I need to drop about 60 myself, I was almost there a couple years back and a job change and some other things took me back to 230. It takes a lot of work. I used an app to track my calories in and another to track what I burned (my fitness pal and map my fitness) up your water intake, and cut portion size are the two big takeaways for the start. If you haven't been exercising start by walking (someone I know went from 340 to 155 and his primary exercise is walking every day....he controls calories but eats what he wants just in a portion that works)
Pm me if you want to do a loss challenge (you should win initially between my two beat up toes and an Achilles injury my exercise is very curtailed)
Lets do it!
02-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #33544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I kept the final total under 2,000 calories again. I also plan on getting to where I can get myself to 100 pushups and crunches again. Right now I am back down to only being able to do about 40 each. I imagine if I get this done not only will my 36 inch waist pants not be tight any more, but I will need a belt (or have to buy new ones), but I want to get into shape to do some real hiking this summer.

Lets do it!

Ok weigh in saturdays, shamed in public here or via pm your choice I have no shame after the life I've led

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2017 at 20:16 ----------

Ok weigh in saturdays, shamed in public here or via pm your choice I have no shame after the life I've led

Or join my fitness pal and we can just do it there I will start using it again and tracking like I need to

02-28-2017, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #33545
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've lost about 7 lbs (1/2 stone) since I got hurt.
It's a fairly simple formula. Take in fewer calories than you burn every day. No exercise required.
02-28-2017, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #33546
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Gotta go get some celery and carrot sticks dipped in peanut butter.
Why the squirrels have called a Tree Doctor to find why their sap has dried up....

Regards!
02-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #33547
Veteran Member

A buddy of mine once said, anyone who can stop smoking, quit drinking, and go on a diet at the same time has got to be the toughest SOB in the world.

02-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #33548
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2017 at 20:16 ----------

Or join my fitness pal and we can just do it there I will start using it again and tracking like I need to
haha, public is fine for me. I am using fitbit, but I can see if I can integrate it with my fitness pal
02-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #33549
Veteran Member

haha, public is fine for me. I am using fitbit, but I can see if I can integrate it with my fitness pal

It does integrate

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2017 at 20:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A buddy of mine once said, anyone who can stop smoking, quit drinking, and go on a diet at the same time has got to be the toughest SOB in the world.

Funnily enough within 12 months I did all three and lost 45 pounds, sadly I gained most back (but kept off the booze and smokes, and when you spend all your time out hanging out in bars with lunatic musicians that is an achievement in itself)

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2017 at 20:51 ----------

Eddiesmith1 over there
02-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #33550
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
With the early French settlement of St Louis we sometimes have to deal with arpents too.
That's as archaic as the French Foot.
02-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #33551
Veteran Member

bike is a road bike so if snow returns I will wait, skinny tires and ice/snow not a great mix
Should've let me known earlier... I had a crash a few months ago on a road bike and icy/snowy roads...
02-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #33552
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. I'm back, anybody miss me?

Didn't think so.

The peanut butter, celery and carrots were tasty, they hit the spot. I also took some time to do a few chores.

Today is 3 months post surgery. I met with the surgeon today. He directed me to begin weaning my foot from the cast boot. Still have more discomfort than before the operation, but it already is feeling good to put my foot into a real shoe again. Takes some doing though, the toes are real stiff, and the big toe and second toe don't like it much when I try to bend them. I also get a huge spike in pain several times a day where the screws and clip are. The doc says that is normal and should diminish over time.

Oh, and it looks like I'll be off work at least one more month.

Yay.

I think.
02-28-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #33553
Veteran Member

No.

Sounds like you're recovering well!
02-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #33554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Should've let me known earlier... I had a crash a few months ago on a road bike and icy/snowy roads...

I thought it was common knowledge. Otoh mountain bikes aren't a lot better (fat tires look cool )
02-28-2017, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #33555
Veteran Member

Didn't think so.

The peanut butter, celery and carrots were tasty, they hit the spot. I also took some time to do a few chores.

Today is 3 months post surgery. I met with the surgeon today. He directed me to begin weaning my foot from the cast boot. Still have more discomfort than before the operation, but it already is feeling good to put my foot into a real shoe again. Takes some doing though, the toes are real stiff, and the big toe and second toe don't like it much when I try to bend them. I also get a huge spike in pain several times a day where the screws and clip are. The doc says that is normal and should diminish over time.

Oh, and it looks like I'll be off work at least one more month.

Yay.

I think.

I could use some time off work but not if it requires going through your challenge, still sounds like things are progressing
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »