Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #34501
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice.

I don't get the connection between copulation and the Garmin though.
He said "Record every ride"

03-23-2017, 03:08 AM   #34502
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't have a picture of it, but my favorite bike is my Raleigh steel frame single speed 29r.
Ooh, very cool.

A guy I know often races on a single speed MTB and says it's tiring because you're only in the right gear for about eight minutes of the event.

03-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #34503
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single speeds are fairly popular here for all off road racing; particularly on muddy courses. In mud you're probably, at some point, going to lose shifting. With a single speed you know what gear you're going to be in.
03-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #34504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Single speeds are fairly popular here for all off road racing; particularly on muddy courses. In mud you're probably, at some point, going to lose shifting. With a single speed you know what gear you're going to be in.
I seriously considered a fixie for my commuting way more reliable for one, less maintenance, just with a 17km mostly uphill ride in i knew i wasn't in shape to manage that , maybe next bike though . For now my Kona Rove AL will suffice

03-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #34505
Veteran Member

I was never much of a bike rider.....it takes a lot of energy to ride a bike in Texas when it is 110F in the shade. However, when I was around 12 my Grandmother took me to Montgomery Wards where they had a big bike dept and told me to pick out any one I wanted. I looked and looked and picked one like this, a Columbia. Hard to recall just exactly, but I think it had a two speed shifter?
Name:  Bike.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  152.7 KB

That bike got a real workout that Spring and Summer. There was a dirt road/cow trail near our house that went to the next town 6 miles away and near the end was a spring fed stock pond where the owner allowed us to fish and swim. It was a lovely little pond, tree lined and the water near the back end where the spring fed it was ice cold. Swimming after a long hot dusty ride was wonderful! I would often have a buddy on the back and we would both pedal together to get up a couple of steep hills.
The pond was full of the biggest Sun Perch I have ever seen, and they were delicious! Two kids on a bike, fishing poles and gear, and 6 miles of dusty road one way. We went at least 2-3 times a week all Summer. The bike held up very well, never a problem that I recall, and though not a fast bike, it was sturdy and "got 'er done"!

The next Summer my Grandad bought me a Sears Moped and once I got a motor under me I don't recall ever riding a bike again! I put over 12K miles on that Moped in the first 6 months I had it. I went everywhere! My friends had them too and we rode together daily. went to the city, went out in the country, went everywhere...night and day! It was my road to total freedom, I could go anywhere anytime and often did! Sometimes I would be gone for days, visiting the pool halls and low life areas of the city and getting an education that guided me through a lifetime of living on the edge.
I think my Mom must have thanked my Granddad a million times....if I wasn't home, I was trouble somewhere else!
Name:  Moped.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  184.7 KB

Next came more bike good fortune....My next door neighbor, Ricky (you remember Ricky...right?) had an older cousin that lived with them for a couple of years. Corky was a most handsome guy, and a real ladies man of the first class.....we used to sit around for hours and listen to his conquest stories with wide eyes and drooling mouths......but that's another story...or stories.....Well, Corky slipped up and got a rich mans daughter pregnant and since she was under age, Corky was in big trouble. There was rumor an arrest warrant was imminent and Corky needed to flee to his original home in New York City where he could find sanctuary and avoid prosecution in Texas, where he might be hung?

Problem was, it came at a time he was dead broke and he had only hours to flee. He did have a shiny almost new Triumph TR-6, the envy of every kid in town....clear title and in perfect like new condition. He offered to sell it, but for more cash than any of us had. I fired up his panic with a story about the cops calling my house and asking if anyone had seen Corky lately? I had $100. in cash...he took it and I got the title. Off to the bus station to send Corky to New York City....we never saw him again.

I could write a book about my adventures with the TR-6....and it wasn't just Corky's good looks that created all of his exciting stories.......girls all wanted to ride on a big fast machine.
Name:  Triumph TR-6.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  115.7 KB

So that first Columbia led to bigger and faster machines...and a life of adventure and crime. Remember this when purchasing a bike for your kids, you could be aiding their delinquency and setting up a life of misery and concern...for yourself and others...but a life of fun and joy for your kids!

Yep, those were the days! Old guys have lots of stories, this has been one of them. Otis say it has far exceeded my limit for the day, so fear not that there will be another...at least not today!

Regards!

BTW- Years later I discovered that Corky ended up as a broker on Wall Street, became filthy rich and continued his legendary conquests of the finest women on earth. I never doubted that he would go far, he was handsome, smart, and charismatic...and he had a lucky charm. When he was Mgr of a little Howard Johnson mini fast food place on the Dallas Ft Worth Turnpike, Elvis stopped there and ate, and gave Corky his half smoked cigar butt, promising it would bring good luck to him. I got to hold it once...made my day! Maybe gave me a little good luck too?

Last edited by Rupert; 03-23-2017 at 06:58 AM.
03-23-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #34506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Say, the likes given compared to the likes received looks a bit lopsided there.
Eh...?
03-23-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #34507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Eh...?
Bert, what counts is the number of posts you make here at PFourms. In that regard you are coming along nicely, averaging more than big mouth Rupert and far exceeding the shy laid back Racer. Keep it up and someday you will be King Poster!

Likes received are nice, but not as important....almost all of mine are for the squirrels, not me. Well, two were for me, one was a mistake and the other was asked to be removed at a later date because the "Liker" decided I was a jerk.....

In your case your likes received are most likely due to the mentally insane that love your bagpipes and bagpipe stories and videos.....so we shouldn't put too much emphasis on Likes...unless you are a squirrel!

Regards!

03-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #34508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think my Mom must have thanked my Granddad a million times....if I wasn't home, I was trouble somewhere else!
I'm guessing mom was willing to keep you in gasoline for your Moped?
03-23-2017, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #34509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hate to leave this super informational thread, but have to make dinner, for just me, wife is out for the evening.
I'm thinking a grilled bacon, chicken, tomato, cheese pizza on flatbread.
Pics in the morning, if it happens.
Play nice!
Add jalapenos to that list.

and a slice of blueberry cream pie.

03-23-2017, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #34510
Veteran Member

This morning I was thinking about how this thread was reelin' and a rockin' yesterday.
That made me think of Chuck Berry, leading me to this video.
If you're a fan of Chuck, it's probably worth the 7 minutes of your time, be forewarned he gets pretty graphic.

03-23-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #34511
Veteran Member

and a slice of blueberry cream pie.
I gotta make that pie!

Regards!

---------- Post added 03-23-17 at 10:03 AM ----------

If you're a fan of Chuck, it's probably worth the 7 minutes of your time, be forewarned he gets pretty graphic.
Worth every second! So sad that we don't have anyone today comparable to the giants of entertainment we had back in those days. I have lived at the right time in history.....it was wonderful!

Worth a couple of minutes too...

Regards!
03-23-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #34512
Veteran Member

I'm guessing mom was willing to keep you in gasoline for your Moped?
Damn right she was! For me and my buddies...I can still hear the sweet sound of 4-5 of those little two stroke engines screaming up and down the street all day and driving the neighborhood crazy!
"Here boys, a $10 dollar bill for gas and treats if you take your machines out of town!"

I'm sitting back and enjoying a tasty healthy Aldis breakfast and listening to a long list of Chuck and Jerry Lee tunes......great combination!
Name:  DSCF0681-800.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  417.7 KB

There was a little altercation at the hospital yesterday....They called me in when Mrs Rupert went to the recovery area and I took my X20, of course! I snapped this shot and the big old burly nurse lady went ballistic.....heck, it wasn't even a flash shot and the shutter is silent? She told me straight out that....'you don't take a picture of a lady that has just come out from anesthesia, has on no makeup or jewelry and is semi-conscious"....and she said it all with a wicked snarly voice. I started to argue, but she pointed her big strong looking finger at me and said....."Don't even think about it or I'll be calling the Doctor back in here to retrieve your camera from you rectum!"

I kissed Mrs Rupert on the cheek and got the hell out of there! ...but I did get the shot...just one!
Name:  DSCF0675-800.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  227.6 KB

Regards!
03-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #34513
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn right she was! For me and my buddies...I can still hear the sweet sound of 4-5 of those little two stroke engines screaming up and down the street all day and driving the neighborhood crazy!
"Here boys, a $10 dollar bill for gas and treats if you take your machines out of town!"

I'm sitting back and enjoying a tasty healthy Aldis breakfast and listening to a long list of Chuck and Jerry Lee tunes......great combination!
Attachment 349282

There was a little altercation at the hospital yesterday....They called me in when Mrs Rupert went to the recovery area and I took my X20, of course! I snapped this shot and the big old burly nurse lady went ballistic.....heck, it wasn't even a flash shot and the shutter is silent? She told me straight out that....'you don't take a picture of a lady that has just come out from anesthesia, has on no makeup or jewelry and is semi-conscious"....and she said it all with a wicked snarly voice. I started to argue, but she pointed her big strong looking finger at me and said....."Don't even think about it or I'll be calling the Doctor back in here to retrieve your camera from you rectum!"

I kissed Mrs Rupert on the cheek and got the hell out of there! ...but I did get the shot...just one!
Attachment 349283

Regards!
You're a brave, brave man to photograph your wife in hospital. The question, we all want to know, of course: (Not your photograph) Were Mrs Rupert's other photos at the hospital taken with a Pentax? Inquiring minds want to know!
03-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #34514
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Attachment 349282

Attachment 349283

Regards!

I really like that Corning dinner set pattern. I bought a set like that once and it has a part in my getting to marry my wife. The plates are now regularly used at the in-laws house, over 30 years later.
03-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #34515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You're a brave, brave man to photograph your wife in hospital. The question, we all want to know, of course: (Not your photograph) Were Mrs Rupert's other photos at the hospital taken with a Pentax? Inquiring minds want to know!
I was going to ask but that big burly nurse rattled me so bad I forgot. She had a big tattoo on her forearm of a Harley and it said Live Free or Die.....
I figured I might be close to dying if I stuck around any longer.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I really like that Corning dinner set pattern. I bought a set like that once and it has a part in my getting to marry my wife. The plates are now regularly used at the in-laws house, over 30 years later.
Not sure how long we have owned that patter of Corningware? A very long time for certain. We have a new modern set but I still use this old set frequently...the stuff lasts forever!

Regards! ...Pretty slow here compared to yesterday when I was gone....makes me wonder....